Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Looking at adding a diverter valve to my 870

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks

Looking at adding a diverter valve to my 870

Hello All!

I am in the planning stages of setting up my 870 to accept a 5í4Ē Landpride snowblower that has a hydraulic chute control.

Problem is, my 870 is mostly stock, and does not have any other hydraulic outlets out back. KennyD suggested that I go with a diverter from the dump/curl function of the loader, as it would be cheaper than adding true hydraulic outlets in the rear. It was also said that this would be a low use function, so a dedicated output isnít required.

The question of electric vs manual has been brought up, as well as if it was manual, where would you mount it?

The loader hydraulics attach below the left foot rest. I havenít pulled the tin off to see where those pipes lead to, but feel it must be under the floor boards.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to the best way for me to add a couple outlets to the tractor to run this device?

I donít really see the need to add a dedicated system out back, as I donít feel I am going to add any other attachment to the tractor that would need it.

Down the road, I figure I will sell the B, and get a JD 620 to do the big work around our property.

Thanks for any help!
    -1967 110 RF with 20 hp V-twin

-1959 Wizard garden tractor

- 1990 870 utility with 440 loader

- 1950 B

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 2,415 Posts
    I only have time for a quick reply, so Iíll just start with pasting the PMís I sent to Wingrider on this:

This would make a great thread in the hydraulics forum

We do sell an electric diverter, but you could probably use a manual one since the chute usage would be intermittent, they are under $100. The advantage of an electric one is that you can easily and quickly switch back and forth from a small switch, great for things like a grapple as an example where your switching constantly.

A diverter basically has one input, and two outputs that are "either/or" so only one can be used at a time. HERE is an example of a simple manual diverter. If your familiar with electric/electronics, is basically a DPDT switch for hydraulics.

Your original post was about buying a specific snowblower...now your looking at a different one and need remotes...so starting a new thread is more appropriate than taking the current one further off the original topic. Just my thought anyway...Plus answering these questions help MANY people so it's better for everyone.

Our electric one is $275 and includes the electrics. You can view the specs on the website.

SC also has some like THIS one that you can just rig up a ON/OFF toggle somewhere. HERE is all their offerings.

Also, a search on the forum of the the term "diverter" will turn up many threads, most related to grapples and FEL's but the theory is all the same.

This is a start...
    mark02tj likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Kenny for helping me out to get this far.

One thing I do need to think about is the operation of said valve. When I am going to be using this, it will need to be fairly easily managed. Heavy mittens or gloves will be worn, as well as thick boots, so I do need to be able to run it without having to pull a glove off.

Just one more piece to the proverbial puzzle....

- 1950 B

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
    Hello All!

I am in the planning stages of setting up my 870 to accept a 5í4Ē Landpride snowblower that has a hydraulic chute control.

Problem is, my 870 is mostly stock, and does not have any other hydraulic outlets out back. KennyD suggested that I go with a diverter from the dump/curl function of the loader, as it would be cheaper than adding true hydraulic outlets in the rear. It was also said that this would be a low use function, so a dedicated output isnít required.

The question of electric vs manual has been brought up, as well as if it was manual, where would you mount it?

I would mount it to the left side loader tower, it would only be installed when the blower is so I would make it sort of "quick attach"

The loader hydraulics attach below the left foot rest. I havenít pulled the tin off to see where those pipes lead to, but feel it must be under the floor boards.

You don't need to access the pipes. You just need 18" (or whatever) hoses on the IN side of the diverter with male QD's, these will plug into the DUMP/CURL circuit when it's mounted. Next, add female QD's to the valve's normal "OUT" ports, you will plug your loader hoses into them so it will function when the diverter is not actuated. Finally, run long hoses from other "diverted" ports on the valve to the rear for the chute-add QD sets as required to make it user friendly. This method will work for a electric or manual diverter.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to the best way for me to add a couple outlets to the tractor to run this device?

I donít really see the need to add a dedicated system out back, as I donít feel I am going to add any other attachment to the tractor that would need it.

Down the road, I figure I will sell the B, and get a JD 620 to do the big work around our property.

Thanks for any help!
    I have a few more minutes...see above.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you Kenny! Based on that info, I question if I wouldn’t be better off going with an electric setup.

Just thinking of how long the hoses are on the loader, I may need to mount this lower than I can normally reach.

I will try to get out to the tractor tomorrow and take some pictures of how this rig is set up.
    Kennyd likes this.

- 1950 B

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    There are a few ways to skin that cat WR. Pictures will sure help...
    Zebrafive likes this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Thanks
    Kennyd, RE; the manual valve you linked to (in the PM) from SC, Wouldn't you need TWO of these? Then you would have to switch both of these to switch from the loader's curl/dump cylinders to the chute cylinder. That is ASSUMING the chute will use a double acting cylinder.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Kennyd, RE; the manual valve you linked to (in the PM) from SC, Wouldn't you need TWO of these? Then you would have to switch both of these to switch from the loader's curl/dump cylinders to the chute cylinder. That is ASSUMING the chute will use a double acting cylinder.
    Good catch Z5, to much going on and a lack of sleep are contributing factors to my error. He needs "double" selector valve like this one:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...lve-9-4128.axd
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    That is true, but the simple one shown above would work very nicely so you would not have to connect the hydraulic lift for the mower all the time, but seems to me it is just not worth it. But would be a nice project if you felt it was!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Alrighty, managed to get out to the property and shoot a couple pictures of where the loader lines come in on the 870... hopefully these make sense, and are what ya’ll are looking for.

- 1950 B

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast