Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 3320 FEL curl problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-24-2018 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks

3320 FEL curl problem

Hi all,

I often use this site as a resource for how to's and don'ts and I can't find the answer to this one. It's a strange one. My left curl supply line blew out the the other day. Thankfully I had my shades on and still have my eyesight, but I got soaked none the less. Anyways, I replaced the line this morning and all was working well. I cycled the bucket about twenty times to work the air out and everything seemed in order. However, later this afternoon after brush hogging and moving some stuff around, the down curl function is messing up. If I feather down lightly the bucket goes to full extend (which is normal). Under full down (stick far right), it goes down like it normally should, then extends down until I feather back to about half way ish.

Retract (up) works just fine. Curl down works under light feather, but moves up as soon as I go far right on the stick. I can hear the engine strain a little as it's curling down. No strain when retracting the pistons in full up at any speed.

So, what the heck is going on here? Is it air in the system from the line I had just replaced? I never had this problem before and it's got me scratching my head. Weird part is, it was all working fine initially, then a few hours of work later, it's acting up.....

Added: Also once I replaced the line, I washed the crap out of it to get all the oil off it with a regular garden hose and soapy water. Made sure I didn't directly blast any electronics or anything. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I figured I'd add it in. To me this sounds like a hydro problem and nothing electrical was wrong after the initial wash.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Kevin
    Last edited by KVB-R; 07-02-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    2008 JD 3320, 300CX FEL, Skid Steer Heavy Duty Bucket, Frontier 5' Hog, Pallet Forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    It sounds like you have the bucket roll up and bucket dump QC's reversed.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you are getting into the regen section of the valve (far to the right).
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

I never had the QC's off....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    It sounds like you have the bucket roll up and bucket dump QC's reversed.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you are getting into the regen section of the valve (far to the right).

I never had anything apart other than the line that blew out on the FEL. I took a video and will post as soon as it processes.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2008 JD 3320, 300CX FEL, Skid Steer Heavy Duty Bucket, Frontier 5' Hog, Pallet Forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KVB-R View Post
    I never had anything apart other than the line that blew out on the FEL. I took a video and will post as soon as it processes.
    youtube vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaB2aS5aJIo

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 2,415 Posts
    What were you doing when the line blew? There is a good chance if the circuit was over-pressured enough to blow a line, a cylinder is damaged too, or at least the piston seals.

When pushing the joystick far right, your in the regen or "fast dump" mode and both hoses are pressurized, then could cause what your seeing if one cylinder is bypassing.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-here-%3B.html
    Ray_PA and mark02tj like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    What were you doing when the line blew? There is a good chance if the circuit was over-pressured enough to blow a line, a cylinder is damaged too, or at least the piston seals.

When pushing the joystick far right, your in the regen or "fast dump" mode and both hoses are pressurized, then could cause what your seeing if one cylinder is bypassing.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-here-%3B.html
    I was pushing a brush pile back into huge brush pile I had ben dumping into. I had the forks pitched down, so the forks were pointed at the ground while doing so and kinda gave it a running start. The line went bang and then I just drove it back to my garage. Crazy part is, after replacing the line everything seemed to be working in order. I had the SCV lock lever in the fully unlocked (Top position for regen mode). I'll have to check again, but I believe when I moved the lock lever to the middle position (non regeneration mode) it worked as normal.
    Last edited by KVB-R; 07-02-2018 at 09:35 PM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ahhh, yes, sudden and dramatic over-pressurization of the system. Iíll bet $5 at least one cylinder is compromised, but they are best rebuilt in pairs anyway.
    Ray_PA and KVB-R like this.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

KVB-R†(07-03-2018), mark02tj†(07-03-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Ahhh, yes, sudden and dramatic over-pressurization of the system. Iíll bet $5 at least one cylinder is compromised, but they are best rebuilt in pairs anyway.
    Thanks Ken! Appreciate your insight!

If it's just the cylinder(s) that are messed up, I'm good with that. I can't afford a SCV replacement and was hoping it wasn't anything to do with that part. I will probably rebuild them myself at some point in time, but I can still use the loader for what I need in the mean time.

Once I get to them, I'll follow up on the outcome.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Kevin, try swapping your dump/curl hoses for your lift/lower hoses and see if the problem basically stays the same.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

KVB-R†(07-09-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    The SCV can be rebuilt too, by the way.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,