• 1 Post By Ray_PA

Thread: Comparing Hydraulic Flow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-17-2019 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Comparing Hydraulic Flow

Howdy Folks

I am doing my best to try to make apples to apples comparisons among different tractor brands/models.

As you all know, this is tough.

It is especially tough when your are a raw newb, like me!

So, I am looking at hydraulic flow on tractordata.com and comparing the JD 5055E, and Kubota 6060.

The JD info looks like this:

Pump flow: 11.4 gpm [43.1 lpm]
    Total flow: 18.2 gpm [68.9 lpm]
    Steering flow: 6.8 gpm [25.7 lpm]

The Kubota data looks like this:

Pump flow: 11 gpm [41.6 lpm]

So, do I compare the 11.4gpm to the 11, or do I use the total flow of the JD....which crushes the Kubota?

I have a feeling the "pump flow" numbers, which are very similar, are the numbers to compare....the Kubota just doesn/t have a total flow number that includes the steering flow.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:38 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbe View Post
    Howdy Folks

I am doing my best to try to make apples to apples comparisons among different tractor brands/models.

As you all know, this is tough.

It is especially tough when your are a raw newb, like me!

So, I am looking at hydraulic flow on tractordata.com and comparing the JD 5055E, and Kubota 6060.

So, do I compare the 11.4gpm to the 11, or do I use the total flow of the JD....which crushes the Kubota?

I have a feeling the "pump flow" numbers, which are very similar, are the numbers to compare....the Kubota just doesn/t have a total flow number that includes the steering flow.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Tim
    Personally, if you are using this data to make a purchase decision, I would go directly to the website of the tractor brand and confirm the accuracy of the data. While tractordata works hard to provide a plethora of helpful tractor data, it occasionally has errors. So, I would suggest verifying any data you are considering with the actual source (Deere or Kubota or whichever brand you are considering), just to make sure you are comparing apples to apples and with the correct data.
    arlen likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-17-2019 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Personally, if you are using this data to make a purchase decision, I would go directly to the website of the tractor brand and confirm the accuracy of the data. While tractordata works hard to provide a plethora of helpful tractor data, it occasionally has errors. So, I would suggest verifying any data you are considering with the actual source (Deere or Kubota or whichever brand you are considering), just to make sure you are comparing apples to apples and with the correct data.
    Unfortunately, the websites don't clear it up.

Kubota says 11gpm and Deer says steer 6, implement 11.5, total 17.5.

I am thinking Kubota is just ignoring the steering portion of the flow...but I have "heard stories" about the greater hydraulic capacity of the Deere - so I am not sure!

Seems like if the implement capacity was only 0.5gpm different (5%), no one would be making a big deal out of it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbe View Post

The Deere site says: Pump rated output = 18.2 GPM. Flow available at the SCV = 11.4 GPM.

I found 2 different sets of numbers on Kubota's site. If you look at the M6060 page and click on their specifications link it lists "Pump capacity = 11.0 GPM".

But if you use their "Comparison" feature on the same page it lists: "Main pump flow = 11.0, Power Steering flow = 6.1, Total system flow (GPM) = 17.1".

The two numbers mean very different things. "Pump capacity" is the max flow the pump can produce. It's a nice to know number but the "available for implements" is what matters to most people. The portion used for power steering isn't available to you.

I have a feeling the "pump flow" numbers, which are very similar, are the numbers to compare....the Kubota just doesn't have a total flow number that includes the steering flow.
    The Kubota site does have that number though.

In this case, the 5055E has a slight advantage in hydro capability over the M6060.

Your research is a quick reminder to NOT rely on 3rd party sites exclusively. The info Tractordata has is crowd-sourced so maybe it is correct, maybe it isn't. But they use different terminology than the manufacturer's use sometimes and the people uploading the info don't always get it right when they try to fill in the blanks.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Personally, if i was comparing tractors, i would look more closely at the capabilities of the FEL, 3 point lift capacity, tractor control layout, user friendlyness, ease of changing attachments, etc. and not be so concerned with hydraulic pump flow rates.

There are several ways hydraulic flow can be used on a piece of equipment so trying to figure out exactly what the specific mfg. is doing is not so important.
    Kennyd likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements