Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Leaking loader couplings when disconnected

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks

Leaking loader couplings when disconnected

3 of the 4 loader couplings on my 1026r slowly leak when the hoses are disconnected. I end up with a mower deck covered in hydraulic oil. See pictures. How do I fix this?

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_20180920_042941_1537432489463.jpg†
Views:	12†
Size:	1.89 MB†
ID:	649210

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_20180920_042959_1537432501147.jpg†
Views:	9†
Size:	1.86 MB†
ID:	649212
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,044 Posts
    well Paddles-u got 3 choices for that oil drippings:

1) replace the quick discount-completely

2)install new o-rings in them

3) Try spraying some w-d45 in there, to clean them, maybe some dirt got in, and is kinda keeping the o-rings from sealing up good. but i've replaced mine once now so far on my tractor(2006-2520) and after reading a response from KennyD--about doing the wd-45 spraying trick to help with cleaning-i did that-and it helped. so try that first-u got nothing to lose but a little time in it.

them little suckers are not cheap either. but is a needed product for the tractor, especially if ya have a loader on it. good luck
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    A few drops of oil is normal.

Wipe with a very clean shop rag next time. And use the plugs to cover the outlets.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The prior owner did not keep them clean and covered. They were disgusting and full of grime. No caps on the loader hoses at all. The caps for the outlets were beat up and full of junk. So it is highly probably there is junk in the coupling preventing it from sealing. This used to happen to our hydraulic tools in the fire department when some idiot would drag the hose down the road getting crap all over it.

I actually just put pretty new caps on everything yesterday because of this. I just left the outlet caps off overnight to see how much was leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    A few drops of oil is normal. Wipe with a very clean shop rag next time. And use the plugs to cover the outlets.
    The pool of hydraulic fluid on the mower deck after an hour of mowing the lawn is not a few drops unfortunately. I wiped the couplings clean when I wiped up the fluid. What you see there in the photo is what dripped out overnight over the course of 6 hours, after it was wiped clean. Definitely not the expected few drops that happen when connecting and disconnecting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180919_171330-COLLAGE.jpg
    BigJim55 and firemachine69 like this.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,805 Times in 2,413 Posts
    Iíve played with quite a few of these leaking couplers, the only real cure is replacement unfortunately. The poppets fail to seal, whether itís damaged or the springs get weak is still I bit of a mystery to me. The o-rings only seal the couplers while connected, so that is not the issue.
    jgayman, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Iíve played with quite a few of these leaking couplers, the only real cure is replacement unfortunately. The poppets fail to seal, whether itís damaged or the springs get weak is still I bit of a mystery to me. The o-rings only seal the couplers while connected, so that is not the issue.
    Oh, super. What is required to do that replacement, and how much of a PITA is it?
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Iíve not done it myself (I donít have a 1-series) but there are a few threads on this subject if you search some.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,311 Posts
    Kenny also sells some GOOD rubber plugs which are designed to seal the couplers much better than just the pretty cheesy covers which Deere provides when new. The rubber plugs Kenny sells will fit tightly into the coupler and stay in them, because of the way they are designed, which is the right way.

I strongly suggest these real rubber plugs which you can attach to the tractor with a little chain or I removed the chain and simply throw them in the toolbox when removed (when the FEL is on or otherwise the quick connects are in use).

I always keep extra couplings, both male and female, in my spare parts kit because of the annoyance they are once they start to "weep" or when they totally fail. It isn't often, but when you have a few older tractors around, you will have a need to keep spares on hand.

As Kenny said, replacement is the only true fix. If there has been dirt and debris in the quick connects due to the prior owners "use" of the machine, a set of new female connectors is the only real answer.

Here is a picture of one of the spare parts kits I keep and you can see the rubber plugs in the plastic bag in the center of the box. You can get the replacement quick connects, both male and female, as well as the rubber plugs in the box in this picture from Kenny's website with great service and a reasonable price.

Once you replace your weeping quick connects, I suggest you keep your old quick connects as a back up just in case. Even though they weep some now, you just might need them as an emergency back up, in case the good new quick connects get damaged or somehow need temporary replacement.

While the current connects drip, at least they will connect which is the main objective. Sometimes, when the female coupling fails, they will shoot fluid out up to 15 feet in a stream like a high pressure hose when you move the loader control handle. In those cases, the old couplings can come in very handy to solve that issue, at least until you can get a new female coupling.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180822_184152575_TOP.jpg IMG_20180822_184211824.jpg

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Just a note: The QDís we sell are not direct replacements for the OEM couplers. Ours have NPT threads, the originals have ORB threads.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The new caps I put on it are actually the product that Deere used to use before they switched to the junk they provide now. Nice soft rubber that pops in and seals very nicely. They're legit, not junk. had I know about Kenny's prior to ordering the caps, I probably would have bought his just because. But these are definitely good caps that seal up nicely. Unfortunately leaking under pressure with the engine running will still push them out no matter what.

Can anyone suggest a source for the replacement couplings?
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast