2004 JD4110 hydro Rockshaft not functioning.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2004 JD4110 hydro Rockshaft not functioning.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-01-2018 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks

2004 JD4110 hydro Rockshaft not functioning.

2004 JD4110 hydraulic transmission w front loader and power beyond kit.
    Was changing out the hydraulic hoses on the power beyond kit the other day and had some hydraulic fluid drain out.
    A few days later the rockshaft / 3 point lift stopped working.
    Could this be airbound? How do you bleed this component. My loader works fine and implements hooked up to power beyond work as well. Hydraulic fluid level is ok per dipstick and sight level in back by PTO...
    The problem is limited to the rockshaft.
    I have never had any problems with it before.
    Any thoughts?
    Mike
    Last edited by barnum910; 10-06-2018 at 03:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Hopefully this will help - my 4200 is different but it functions similar. I suspect the power beyond loop is not fully connected. On my tractor, when the power beyond is connect to a rear implement like a backhoe, the rock shaft is "disabled" - no pressure to the valve. All oil flows through the back hoe and back to the tank.

Check the connection - it might not be fully seated.

Good luck!
    JimR likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAllen For This Useful Post:

barnum910 (11-11-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
    Hopefully this will help - my 4200 is different but it functions similar. I suspect the power beyond loop is not fully connected. On my tractor, when the power beyond is connect to a rear implement like a backhoe, the rock shaft is "disabled" - no pressure to the valve. All oil flows through the back hoe and back to the tank.

Check the connection - it might not be fully seated.

Good luck!
    It seems to be fully seated. When I unplug the power beyond from returning to itself there is a noticeable drop in engine rpm which leads me to believe the hydraulic pump is being loaded up by the dead ended line at the unplugged power beyond. I have to turn off engine to plug it back in then restart and is back to normal rpm.
    I feel like the rockshaft is first in the hydraulic loop?, then power beyond take off and finally loader control valves. Not sure if that matters.....
    Thanks for the help,
    Mike

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barnum910 View Post
    I feel like the rockshaft is first in the hydraulic loop?, then power beyond take off and finally loader control valves. Not sure if that matters.....
    On most of these CUTs it is the reverse of that. Mid-SCV --> PB ---> Rockshaft.
    Kennyd likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

barnum910 (11-11-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    On most of these CUTs it is the reverse of that. Mid-SCV --> PB ---> Rockshaft.
    Any thoughts on how to bleed any potential air from rock shaft?

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barnum910 View Post
    Any thoughts on how to bleed any potential air from rock shaft?
    Sorry. I don't know enough about your machine to help you with that. I was under the impression that they are self bleeding but have no way to verify that info.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Sorry. I don't know enough about your machine to help you with that. I was under the impression that they are self bleeding but have no way to verify that info.
    There is a tube out the top of the rockshaft housing that goes to what appears to be an auto-bleeder........So it would seem this should take care of itself........
    Maybe there is some sort of filter or screen that is clogged between the PB and rockshaft?
    Very Frustrated.....
    Thanks for the thoughts......
    Mike

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    If the PB connector is fully seated and the load on the engine increases when disconnected, its probably hooked up correctly. I would start w/ the basics:

It seems like fluid is flowing unrestricted. Otherwise the engine would bog down as previously described and eventually the pump would burn up.

Take a look at the diagrams on JD Parts. I'd begin with the mechanical linkage the moves the valves. It could be a loose component on the lever mechanism or the height control. The seat and/or some panels may have to be moved to access those parts. A while back, there was a thread about a 4300 that the rock shaft wasn't working - turned out to be a loose handle bolt.

When I bought my tractor, I splurged on the factory service manual. This has saved me a bunch of money. They are full of diagnostic procedures that seem to be well thought out. And, they have pictures and addition diagrams that may show other parts to check. It should also include the instructions for adjusting the maximum height.

Hope this helps.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAllen For This Useful Post:

barnum910 (11-11-2018)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    You have a blockage at the power beyond somewhere.

Before you do anything radical, MAKE SURE the power beyond jumper hose is quick connected properly. You must shut off the engine, and since you have had the engine running with the jumper hose not connected properly, with the engine stopped, jog the SCV several times, then connect the jumper hose quick connect.

Air is not the problem.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

barnum910 (11-11-2018)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    You have a blockage at the power beyond somewhere.

Before you do anything radical, MAKE SURE the power beyond jumper hose is quick connected properly. You must shut off the engine, and since you have had the engine running with the jumper hose not connected properly, with the engine stopped, jog the SCV several times, then connect the jumper hose quick connect.

Air is not the problem.
    10/8/18 - I tried cycling SCV hydraulics, plug / unplug PB, etc. no luck.... I do recall when noticing the problem the 3 point was raised, i lowered it part way and it would not raise back up, i lowered it further and again it would not raise back up, lowered it all the way down and it would not return either.....so there was hydraulic fluid present that held up unit and would drain out as lever was adjusted. Resupply of fluid does not happen.
    Must be a blockage between PB and rockshaft supply?
    I wonder can this be accessed by removing the rockshaft lowering control mechanism seems to be the only way into the rockshaft housing short of removing the entire assembly....
    Thoughts?
    Thanks for the help so far......
    Mike

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast