Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: WR Long diverter valves for grapple stopped working

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:31 PM
    Thanks

Unhappy WR Long diverter valves for grapple stopped working

Dang it. I needed the grapple today, hooked everything up and no reaction from the open and close rocker switch and I didn't hear the diverter valves operate like usual. There is +12v at the diverter solenoid (red wire) and +12v at each of the two black wires that follow the rocker switch operation.

Then I verified the valve assembly bracket is indeed grounded. It occurred to me the valves might be frozen up, it's been 3 or 4 months since I used the grapple. So I beat on the valves a little with a steel rod and ball peen hammer (access is a bit difficult) and no joy. I kept operating the switches hoping they would start working.

There is a connection block at the top of the valve assembly for the wires but after removing two screws the block wouldn't budge. I verified voltage with needle tips for my multimeter that punctured the insulation so I suppose there could be an issue under the block. I tried to measure the coil resistance with inconclusive results.

I'm going to call WR Long Monday but in the meantime does anybody have any troubleshooting advice?
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,805 Times in 2,413 Posts
    EBhunts and johncanfield like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    John, the brass plunger that Kenny linked to should get the valve unstuck if that is all that the problem is. Remember one at each end. I have also heard of control grip problems, but it sounds like you have power to the solenoids, so probably stuck spools.

Good luck.
    Kennyd and johncanfield like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny, I am embarrassed at my lack of Google fu, I was going to do a search but didn't see a search dialogue box on the main forum page. I owe you another case of eBeer.
    Kennyd likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Just sayin'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Also, I'll repeat this again:

Anybody that has Electric over Hydraulic Valves should operate/cycle them frequently to prevent sticking-whether you have something connected or not!
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yessir!
    Kennyd likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

Anybody that has Electric over Hydraulic Valves should operate/cycle them frequently to prevent sticking-whether you have something connected or not!
    Hmmmm, that's interesting and good advice, Kenny. Has that ever been mentioned on here before??

BTW, JohnCanfield - are you back up and running now?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks

Seat time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

I've got to figure out a way to put a computer on the dash of my 790 so I can do work while getting some seat time in. That way, I would hit the third function buttons more frequently.

Maybe that's a little extreme and I should just figure out a way to get real seat time. The grapple stays on the tractor most of the time anyway so if the tractor is running the valve is getting used. By the way, a grapple works wonders to move piles of hurricane rain soaked carpet. My brother and I were helping our sister after their home got blasted by Michael so we took my tractor and grapple down there. They had stripped the house of all the wall to wall carpet and it was just in piles outside the door. They were treading the task of moving it but the grapple was perfect for the job. We also used it to set plywood on the roof, clean up debris, move cut logs, etc. After seeing what a grapple could do, I think my brother in law will get one for his little Kubota.

It's worth hitting the 3rd function switch from time to time just so it keeps working. The Artillian/Kenny set up was well worth the money and I doubt anyone with a grapple would give it up.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    ...BTW, JohnCanfield - are you back up and running now?
    Freshly armed with new information , I'm going to work on it this morning. I'll report back.
    Kennyd and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast