• 1 Post By Ray_PA
  • 1 Post By number3456

Thread: mmm single to double acting cylinder and Artillian diverter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks

mmm single to double acting cylinder and Artillian diverter

I have a Artillian diverter kit that I got awhile back to put on my 1025R. I want use a grappler which I know is most common use and to also use it to control the spout on my 47 inch snow blower. I won't be mounting the diverter kit on the loader arms but on the tractor itself so I can use it regardless of what attachment is on I have the option of using the diverter.

In the summer I usually keep the loader on w/o bucket attached so I can switch between mowing and use the loader bucket or usually the pallet forks. I hate having to switch the hydraulic bucket dump connection between the 2 so I can raise the mower deck with the loader controls.

Since I will be installing the diverter I would to know if anyone has used the diverter to control the lift on the mmm? Can divert be used on a single acting cylinder like the mmm has or do I need a double acting cylinder?

Also since the mmm is single acting and the 2nd port is a vent for the cylinder does anyone know if you swap vent out and put a fitting so it becomes a double acting cylinder?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    That should be no problem at all.

Also since the mmm is single acting and the 2nd port is a vent for the cylinder does anyone know if you swap vent out and put a fitting so it becomes a double acting cylinder?
    It really depends on the cylinder they used, but I doubt it will be possible to do that.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why you would need to change the mmm lift cylinder to double-acting.

The hydraulic lift on the mmm that uses the SCV to control it, simply gets pressurized oil from the bucket roll up port when lifting the mmm. When lowering the mmm, the SCV is moved to the bucket roll down position (not into the regen section). The pressure port for bucket roll down at the FEL QC is not connected so the system is put on relief when lowering the mmm, although, while the system is on relief because the bucket roll down QC is blocked, the bucket roll up QC is connected to the mmm lift cylinder and this port is now being directed back to tank so the mmm lowers under gravity.

So, if you use the diverter, simply connect the mmm lift cylinder to the one QC on your diverter and leave the other one on the diverter disconnected. So when you hold the diverter switch, the bucket roll up and down will now be connected to the QC on your diverter. Connect the mmm lift cylinder to the QC that is parallel to the bucket roll up QC and leave the other QC on the diverter disconnected. The mmm should lift and lower just like it was connected to the FEL QC.
    Kennyd and PJR832 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

number3456 (12-08-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

It really depends on the cylinder they used, but I doubt it will be possible to do that.
    I have three cylinders, probably larger than this one, that are all setup this way and all three can be switched to double acting by removing the vent plug.

I would be inclined to say yes, provided there was room for the new fittings and hose's.
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    I have three cylinders, probably larger than this one, that are all setup this way and all three can be switched to double acting by removing the vent plug.

I would be inclined to say yes, provided there was room for the new fittings and hose's.
    It all depends on the cylinder. In the typical SA snow plow ones that I've rebuilt, it would not be possible to convert to DA.
    pcabe5, Ray_PA and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

number3456 (12-08-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    It all depends on the cylinder. In the typical SA snow plow ones that I've rebuilt, it would not be possible to convert to DA.
    Ok.

Pondering this if the 1025r has height control knob I wouldn't put a double acting into the system as it could damage that linkage if one was over aggressive. Gravity down in this case would be your friend.
    Kennyd, Ray_PA and PJR832 like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pcabe5 For This Useful Post:

number3456 (12-08-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    Ok.

Pondering this if the 1025r has height control knob I wouldn't put a double acting into the system as it could damage that linkage if one was over aggressive. Gravity down in this case would be your friend.
    Your point that you make here is why I said, there is no need to power the cylinder down. The entire linkage assembly is designed to gravity lower. You wouldn't want to apply the forces that a hydraulic cylinder can generate against this linkage.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

number3456 (12-08-2018)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. I appreciate your insight. I think I won't mess with converting to double at this point. I was concerned about some of the issues I read about with the vent port over time and thought converting it to a double acting would take care of the issue. I will keep an eye (and keep it clean around vent).

Thanks!
    Tim
    pcabe5 likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements