Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: John Deere 5520 Hydraulic Problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-14-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 5520 Hydraulic Problem

I have a 2003 John Deere 5520 cab tractor with less than 500 hours that I use a bucket and also forks on, but mostly forks. The tractor has recently developed an issue that is especially aggravating when using forks but occurs regardless of what implement is on the front. When I go to raise the forks, the whole assembly will drop from 6 - 10 inches before rising. If I try to tilt the forks back, they will tilt forward about 10 - 15 degrees before tilting back. As you can imagine this make it almost impossible to move pallets of material and can be dangerous. I've accidentally dumped several loads by accident. I have checked the hydraulic fluid and it is right on the full mark on the dipstick. Changing the filter didn't help. The rockshaft operates correctly and doesn't drop. All hydraulics operate at a reasonable speed, the drop on the front end is the only issue. I can leave the forks raised with a heavy load and there is no drop until I try to raise the load and then it will fall momentarily before starting to rise. It also doesn't matter how long the load has been on the forks - same results. Also, the problem exists in both hot and cold weather and regardless of whether the tractor was just started or has been running for hours and the tractor and hydraulics are thoroughly warmed up. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    There are small devices in the valve called "load checks" that are supposed to keep this from happening, it's possible one is bad or has debris in it.

You didn't give many details on your machine like is it a cab or open station, and the serial number so I can't really look it up. Sometimes they are available as parts, and sometimes not.
    glcaines and Ray_PA like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    There are small devices in the valve called "load checks" that are supposed to keep this from happening, it's possible one is bad or has debris in it.

You didn't give many details on your machine like is it a cab or open station, and the serial number so I can't really look it up. Sometimes they are available as parts, and sometimes not.
    Thanks for the information. The JD 5520 is a cab tractor, Mfd in 2003, S/N: LV5520P356462. I'm out of town tomorrow, so I can't look at it again until Wednesday afternoon. Thanks again.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure I found the correct valve, but if I did the load checks are #11 in the screenshot, part # RE222161.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 6.17.30 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 6.28.44 AM.jpg  
    glcaines and keane like this.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I found the correct valve, but if I did the load checks are #11 in the screenshot, part # RE222161.
    I ended up not going out of town. The assembly looks identical with the diagram you provided. I'm going to go ahead this afternoon and pull both and see if there is an obvious problem. If so, I'll replace both check valves with new kits. I will so go ahead and drain and refill the hydraulic system and replace the filter again. Thanks again.
    Kennyd likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glcaines View Post
    I ended up not going out of town. The assembly looks identical with the diagram you provided. I'm going to go ahead this afternoon and pull both and see if there is an obvious problem. If so, I'll replace both check valves with new kits. I will so go ahead and drain and refill the hydraulic system and replace the filter again. Thanks again.
    I ordered the load check kits from my local JD dealer, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm having a few days of decent weather and it's unfortunate that the new parts haven't come in yet.
    Kennyd likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Operational Again

Success! After receiving incorrect check valves from my local JD dealer, I finally received the correct parts. I had to look up the parts myself on the JD website. For others that might have a JD 5520 Cab tractor with the same problem, the correct load check valve kit is RE222161. They are made slightly different from the originals. The originals had a hard rubber poppet. The replacements had metal poppets. The original poppets were stuck in the plug and to remove them took a lot of prying with a pair of pliers. After installing the new load check valves, there is zero drop when raising the loader and zero tilt when tilting back. I want to thank everyone that help with this problem.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to glcaines For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (01-09-2019)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update, glad to hear it worked for you.

RE222161 is the part number I found for you and posted above....I guess I was right LOL.
    arlen, keane and johncanfield like this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Kenny to the rescue again!
    arlen likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to johncanfield For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (01-09-2019)

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add; I had a similar problem with my 4400.
    The problem I had was mostly with the lift and not the curl. At least at first.
    I took the valve apart and cleaned the load checks, even swapped them while I was in there.
    Turned it to be the cup seal in the cylinder was bad and had these symptoms.
    Later the curl function did the same thing, but this time I knew where to look.

Not saying this is the problem here, just wanted to mention in case someone else runs across this problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast