Green Tractor Talk banner

1966 2510 tractor with a 48 loader - lost hydraulic's

9K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Tx Jim 
#1 ·
New member here and new to tractors. I just picked up a JD 2510 syncro range with a 48 front end loader with the hydraulic lines hooked to the remotes. I've been changing out a few problem items including a couple leaking hydraulic lines and the rockshaft control cable that was frozen. After I replaced the lines the hydraulics worked fine - i just finished replacing the rockshaft cable and now I have no hydraulics. The only thing I can come up with is that I manually moved the control valve lever rearward to lower the 3pt which I was able to get raised about halfway. I'm stumped on why or how I could lose all hydraulics by changing out the cable. Any ideas thanks Mike.

#2 ·
When you say you lost all hydraulics. Does the FEL lift of is just the 3 point the won't lift?

#3 ·
This probably is a dumb question, but did you check the oil level?

Also does the power steering and brakes work or not?

By the way, welcome. I love the 2510/2520 tractors.

#4 ·
Welcome to GTT
During process of installing new RS control cable did you place lever of scv into neutral that supplies frt end loader valve ? Probably not the problem but check frt hyd pump coupler to be sure pump shaft is turning when engine crankshaft is turning. Have you tried relocating the L/D lever under seat to a different position?

#5 ·
I understood the original post as having the loader operate from the SCV and not an independent control valve.

#8 ·
Sorry for the last post - I've left two detailed replies and both never got posted. I have the 48 FEL connected to the single remote on the back of the tractor, it has its own control valve and operating levers. The remote is controlled by the lever on the dash and needs to bring the raised position for the fel to work. As I have mentioned i replaced a couple leaky hoses and the fel worked before and after I did that. The hydraulic pump shaft is connected and turns with h e engine running. The hydraulic fluid level reads full although I suspect that it is low with all the leaks and the fluid loss from replacing the hoses. I processed to work the Rockshaft cable which was frozen and managed to get the 3pt to rise about halfway. So I replaced the cable, with the cable removed i manually moved the control valve lever rearward to lower the 3pt without the engine running. I installed the cable and with the engine running tried raising the 3pt with the LD lever in different positions and got no movement. Same with the fel nothing and no power in the brakes - I forgot to try the power steering but I'm sure there's nothing there. Is that possible i could have overextended the control valve lever rearward to screw the linkage up in the control valve?

#9 ·
As I recall, it is possible to damage or lose the linkage inside the rockshaft housing. However, that should not affect the steering or brakes. The pressure control valve, also called the priority valve is located in front of the instrument panel. The purpose of the pressure control valve is to insure that pressure is maintained to the steering valve and the brake valve, for safety requirements. Also, I don't believe that the rockshaft valve would cut off flow to the SCV. Do we understand correctly that the loader is plugged into the SCV outlet in the rear of the tractor and then the loader is operated with a separate valve?

I'm sure that TxJim will be back on this. He has a lot more recent knowledge than I do.

#10 · (Edited)
I agree with DRobinson that moving lever that cable attaches to too far by hand can possibly get gears(key 6) out of time. Remove plug in rear of trans case that's located to the right & above pto shaft then start engine look inside hole for moving oil when engine is running. If hyd stand by pressure is below 1700 psi priority valve can block flow or a faulty priority valve can block flow to 3 pt & scv's. On subject of 2 spool loader control valve I've seen closed center inner seal blown causing lose of hyd pressure. Have you tried operating hyd's with scv that supplies loader lever in neutral?

Attachments

#11 ·
TxJim - yes I've tried your suggestion with the SCV lever in neutral with no luck - I will try to look in the back of the transmission tonight. Tomorrow I plan to change the fluid and filter and clean the screen if I can locate it on this tractor- I think I see the plug on the left side above the rockshaft return line- would that be where the screen is hiding?

#16 ·
Update on the issue with my hydraulics - I'll give you a little background on the tractor since I bought it. The previous owner had let the tractor sit for most of this year and this year has been one of the wettest on record. So when I bought it the clutch was rusted to the flywheel cause he left it engaged - I since learned that if the tractor sits for any length of time you should block the clutch so it's not engaged. It took more than 3 1/2 miles for the clutch to finally break free - what feeling of relief when it let go - I did not want to have to spilt the tractor. So ever since then I block the clutch - and every other day I would start it but not move it. So the weekend i replaced the rockshaft cable was no different that's when I saw that i had lost the hydraulics. Today I got to spend some time working on it - I warmed the tractor up and worked the clutch and engaged the pto and low and behold the hydraulics slowly started to come back. I changed the hydraulic fluid and filter and it looks like I am back in business - so I was talking with the guy who picked up the tractor for me when I bought it and has some knowledge with the 2510 and he told me that whenever he would keep the clutch disengaged for any length of time he would lose his hydraulics. I'm very convinced that this is what happened to me, he didn't know why it occurs but I learned something today! Maybe keep that I the back of your mind if you run into this. Thanks to those who have replied to this.

#17 ·
Thanks for update.
Syncro-range trans pump powered by top shaft in trans that supplies oil to frt hyd pump which BTW frt pump is a piston pump which doesn't suck oil. So when clutch pedal is depressed top shaft in trans stops turning as does trans pump stop pumping oil. I'm glad you got hyd's operating.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.