Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Making hard hydraulic lines

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Making hard hydraulic lines

Getting ready to add an auxiliary hydraulic system to my son’s cub. Would really like to make the lines from the bypass pluck to the control valves, and then to the outlets.

What material would you guys make them out of. Max pressure for the system is 1300-1500 PSI.

Would aluminum work?

And I’m thinking to make the bends I’ll need a tubing bender. What would you guys recommend.

Hoping for something like this when it’s done.

mjncad, rtgt, keane and 1 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    I think you want steel, even with the lower pressures. I've not done them myself so I can't advise much. This place sells everything you'd need:

STEEL TUBING, FITTINGS & TOOLING | Trausch Dynamics
    mjncad, PaDave, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

mjncad (01-13-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Thanks
    They sell nice benders for steel tubing plus fairing tools. On my Power Wagon I use pre made lines and bend them to the shape needed.
    PaDave, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    I use copper nickle tube when I remake brake lines, don't know if that's suitable for tractor hydraulic lines though. It's easier to work with than steel and more corrosion resistant, might be worth researching for your use.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Thanks
    Use steel tubing meant for the purpose.
    Zebrafive, PaDave, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (01-13-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Thanks
    If you bend tubing the way I do, buy extra.

Maybe get some easier to bend tubing to experiment with and kinda make a mock-up of what you want the final product to look like. It will also serve as "practice".

I have watched electricians bend conduit and pipe fitters bend copper and they make it look sooooooooo easy. NOT! It is a learned skill and an art.

A little time and patience and it will look great.

I'll be waiting to see the finished work.
    mjncad, Kennyd, DRobinson and 5 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    If you bend tubing the way I do, buy extra.

Maybe get some easier to bend tubing to experiment with and kinda make a mock-up of what you want the final product to look like. It will also serve as "practice".

I have watched electricians bend conduit and pipe fitters bend copper and they make it look sooooooooo easy. NOT! It is a learned skill and an art.

A little time and patience and it will look great.

I'll be waiting to see the finished work.
    This is an excellent idea! Brake lines are cheap
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    3033R, JD Top and Tilt, Rim Guard, IMatch, 3rd SCV, 4th and 5th remotes, Power Beyond, 3rd function on FEL, Auxiliary lights, Heavy Hitch w/ 16 - 42# weights, 320R FEL, 73" heavy bucket with bolt on blade, JD 60" material bucket, JD Pallet Forks, BB2566 Land Pride Box Blade, GS 1572 Land Pride Land Plane, 5' King Kutter Brush Hog, 7' King Kutter land scrape rake and EA 60" single lid grapple. 2-930M ZTracs w/54" and 2-345 w/54" and 519 carts. 620-I Camo Gator w/All Hydraulic Plow.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    There is literally a type of steel tubing called welded hydraulic. it can be purchased in a variety of wall thicknesses to accommodate target operating pressures and safety margins.

On production equipment that will run millions of cycles I have had perfect results using Parker Ferrule Lock fittings, but they do require investing in a setting tool to properly bite the hardened tube ferrule into the OD of the steel tube.
    There are many other good options though.
    mjncad, J3 Driver, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (01-20-2019), Herminator (01-16-2019), J3 Driver (01-17-2019)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    J3, The fittings in your pics are 37° flare fittings. They're a good "system" but not too forgiving for a novice tube bender. I would suggest "bite type" fittings... Parker Ferrule Lock or Eaton Weatherhead Ermetto. Either one, although recommended by the manufacturer, do not require a presetting tool. (I know Weatherhead says: Install tubing in nut & ferrule. Place into fitting and tighten nut until tubing does not turn by finger pressure. Tighten nut 1 1/6 turn more.)

Tubing: I tried to find specs for brake tubing and couldn't. My suggestion would be steel hydraulic tubing, welded or DOM. Use .035 wall thickness, whether 3/8" or 1/2".

Bender: Harbor Freight sells a 3/8" tubing bender for $8 !! It's not the greatest or the most accurate bends, but it will get you by. As mentioned, get some cheap tubing to practice on.

OK, USING a tube bender! The mark/line you make on a piece of tubing is the centerline of the tubing of that bend. This mark/line lines up with the "L" on the bender and the length you want extends to the left of the bender..."L" equals Left! Let's say your using 3/8 tubing (that's 3/8" OD) and you want a 90° bend 6" from the end of the tubing. Measure 5-13/16" from the end of the tubing (1/2 the diameter because you want centerline dimension!) and place a mark/line on the tubing. Place the tubing in the bender with the line EXACTLY on the "L" and the 5 13/16 length extending to the left...the remainder of the tubing will be under the bender handle. Pull handle until "L" lines up with the 90° on the scale. CHECK with a square to be sure it's 90°...as I said, NOT always that accurate! Adjust as necessary. These are VERY basic instructions!

If you, or anyone else for that matter, wants me to elaborate, drop me an email, [email protected]. I'd be happy to help. Good luck, Bob
    mjncad, Kennyd and rtgt like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (01-20-2019), Kennyd (01-20-2019), rtgt (01-20-2019)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    J3, The fittings in your pics are 37° flare fittings. They're a good "system" but not too forgiving for a novice tube bender. I would suggest "bite type" fittings... Parker Ferrule Lock or Eaton Weatherhead Ermetto. Either one, although recommended by the manufacturer, do not require a presetting tool. (I know Weatherhead says: Install tubing in nut & ferrule. Place into fitting and tighten nut until tubing does not turn by finger pressure. Tighten nut 1 1/6 turn more.)

Tubing: I tried to find specs for brake tubing and couldn't. My suggestion would be steel hydraulic tubing, welded or DOM. Use .035 wall thickness, whether 3/8" or 1/2".

Bender: Harbor Freight sells a 3/8" tubing bender for $8 !! It's not the greatest or the most accurate bends, but it will get you by. As mentioned, get some cheap tubing to practice on.

OK, USING a tube bender! The mark/line you make on a piece of tubing is the centerline of the tubing of that bend. This mark/line lines up with the "L" on the bender and the length you want extends to the left of the bender..."L" equals Left! Let's say your using 3/8 tubing (that's 3/8" OD) and you want a 90° bend 6" from the end of the tubing. Measure 5-13/16" from the end of the tubing (1/2 the diameter because you want centerline dimension!) and place a mark/line on the tubing. Place the tubing in the bender with the line EXACTLY on the "L" and the 5 13/16 length extending to the left...the remainder of the tubing will be under the bender handle. Pull handle until "L" lines up with the 90° on the scale. CHECK with a square to be sure it's 90°...as I said, NOT always that accurate! Adjust as necessary. These are VERY basic instructions!

If you, or anyone else for that matter, wants me to elaborate, drop me an email, [email protected]. I'd be happy to help. Good luck, Bob

Very good advice.
    3/8 OD,.035 wall is rated at near 2400 psi burst pressure with a 4-1 safety factor and is still relatively easy to bend.
    I found setting hardened ferrules without the hardened setting fixture could deform the soft female fitting in some cases, although I was generally plumbing 1/2 and above with these.
    rtgt likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (01-20-2019)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast