• 1 Post By ddinham

Thread: JD 4044 & Hydraultic options

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks

JD 4044 & Hydraultic options

Hello,

Looking for expert advice from someone on this forum . . . please!

Looking at the JD 4044R Hydraulic Options - would someone please explain in simple terms the purpose, function, or use of the following hydraulic systems - 3rd SVC, & 4th & 5th SVC. The literature indicates they are "optional" when ordering a 4044R.

How would each of the above hydraulic SVC systems be used, and for what implements?

And then there are two PTO Systems listed - an Independent 540, and an Economy PTO. How would these two PTO systems be used? Are both necessary? What does one do that the other can't.

FredSG

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredSG View Post
    And then there are two PTO Systems listed - an Independent 540, and an Economy PTO. How would these two PTO systems be used? Are both necessary? What does one do that the other can't.

Those aren't 2 different systems. They are both the same PTO.

Way back in the day, a tractor's PTO shaft was directly linked to the transmission. The PTO shaft only turned when the tractor was moving. That worked but people wanted to be able to use PTO implements when the tractor was stationary. That brought about "live PTO". In a live PTO system you had a 2-stage clutch. So you could depress the clutch half-way and it would disengage the transmission but the PTO shaft would continue to turn.

With an independent PTO, the PTO shaft is truly independent of the transmission drive system. There are a couple of ways of getting there but hydro systems make it fairly easy (mechanical systems are a little more complicated). The hydro transmission just has 2 separate clutches in it, one for the drive system and one for the PTO. So the PTO runs entirely "Independently" of the tractor's drive transmission clutch. Hence, an "Independent PTO'.

By default, the 4044R has an independent PTO system. That's "standard equipment".

"Economy PTO' is a mode, not a separate system. Typically there is a mark on the tractor's tachometer that tells you "When the engine is running at this RPM, the PTO shaft will be spinning at 540 RPM". On most Deere CUTs that's somewhere around 2600 RPM. The "Economy PTO" mode allow you to reduce the engine speed and maintain the 540 RPM PTO speed. I believe they recommend running the engine at about 1600 RPM for Economy PTO mode. They can do that by playing with the gearing that Independent PTO system. The Economy PTO option adds another gear in the PTO system along with a control in the operators console to allow you to shift those PTO gears.

So if you have the Economy PTO option, you can use PTO driven implements (like a wood chipper) while stationary and save a little fuel by running the engine at a lower RPM.
    Last edited by JimR; 01-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    JD4044M and Snowbird like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

FredSG (01-25-2019), GKofTX (02-02-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Hello,

Looking for expert advice from someone on this forum . . . please!

Looking at the JD 4044R Hydraulic Options - would someone please explain in simple terms the purpose, function, or use of the following hydraulic systems - 3rd SVC, & 4th & 5th SVC. The literature indicates they are "optional" when ordering a 4044R.

How would each of the above hydraulic SVC systems be used, and for what implements?

FredSG
    Fred, for the hydraulic SCVs. Very common for the 3rd SCV to operate a grapple on the loader for example, or a 4n1 bucket. The 4th & 5th SCVs could be used to operate a top & tilt set of cylinders for the 3pt hitch. They can operate hydraulic cylinders on many various implements, a rear blade as an example.
    JD4044M and JD4044M like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MtnViewRanch For This Useful Post:

FredSG (01-25-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Jim,

Many thanks for your reply. I expect a rear snow blower in the future for the 4044R. So as standard equipment I would get the Independent PTO and should I also purchase the Economy PTO option? I would be attaching a rear blade and rake to the 4044R when needed.

I'll try to take advantage of you some more . . . Any thoughts on the 3,4,& 5 SVC uses?

Thanks again Jim.

Fred
    Last edited by FredSG; 01-25-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Jim,

Many thanks for your reply. I expect a rear snow blower in the future for the 4044R. So as standard equipment I would get the Independent PTO and should I also purchase the Economy PTO option? I would be attaching a rear blade and rake to the 4044R when needed.

I'll try to take advantage of you some more . . . Any thoughts on the 3,4,& 5 SVC uses?

Thanks again Jim.

Fred
    I don't think the ePTO function does much for you as far as running a snowblower. It's primary use would be for an implement where the tractor isn't moving. If you ever plan on using a wood chipper, post hole digger, cordwood saw, PTO generator, etc... off of your PTO it can save you some fuel $$ and your hearing. A rear blade or rake won't use the PTO function at all so it is of no use for those either way.

As far as 3rd, 4th and 5th SCVs, my gut reaction is to always recommend that you get all of the available hydraulic options you can when buying a new machine.

You mention getting a snowblower. Have you thought about how want to deal with the chute direction and angle functions? You can get off your tractor and adjust them. You can get a hand crank and turn around backwards while cranking them. Or... you could get hydraulic controls for them and just push a lever for a few seconds! Those 4th and 5th SCVs hanging on the back end of a tractor would make a really nice way to hook up hydraulic controls for that sort of thing! (I have the crank option. It isn't much fun! )

The same sort of thing with your rear blade. Would you want to be able to change the angle on that from the seat while you're driving? With a 4th SCV and an hydraulic angle kit you could do that. Otherwise, you have to stop what you're doing, get off the tractor, manually adjust the angle, get back on...

The hydraulic controls on each implement cost some $$ but it makes life a whole lot easier.

If you are buying new and using Deere's 0% financing, get everything you think you might ever need right up front.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

FredSG (01-25-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have 3rd, 4th and 5th SCVs on my 4052R, and would not mind another set if it was available. I have a grapple I run off the 3rd function, and right now my rear blade is on the tractor which has hydraulic angle off the 4th SCV. I'm using te 5th SCV for a hydraulic top link. I have a 74" Farm King 3pt snowblower with no hydraulics, but I'd like to add chute rotation.

I had a 5055E with the E-pto, and like has been stated it's for lighter loads. Think of it like an overdrive gear in your truck. If you're doing heavy work, you don't want to be in overdrive. Some snow you might be able to get away with the E-pto, but heavy stuff or a a lot of it might overload it. The tractor is very fuel efficient, I don't miss having the E-pto at all.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    A blade with three cylinders; angle, tilt, & offset would use 3 SCVs. If you had Top & Tilt that would take 2 more SCVs (but you would not need but blade tilt and 3pt tilt at the same time, but could leave it connected all the time). Get as many SCVs as you can afford. Cheaper/easier now then later.

I wish my 2030 had an ePTO, my main use for the PTO is brush hogging with a 6' mower. I think it could handle it at reduced engine rpm.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Get all the SCV options you can You will find a use for them and it's easier than adding them later!
    Kennyd, Zebrafive and GKofTX like this.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    ePTO has 2 separate components
    1. Software upgrade - it updates the computer so when you are in ePTO you can't overspeed your implements and updates the screen to read the correct rpm depending on what mode you are in
    2. Mechanical - 3 things - new pinion shaft, new output shaft, both with 2 gears instead of 1 for the obvious 2 modes PTO and ePTO. Plus a selector handle and cable to change between the 2 modes

If you select ePTO you achieve 540 rpm pto speed at 1900 engine RPM, regular PTO takes 2600 rpm and it save quite a bit of fuel as well as noise.

I think it is the best option on my tractor

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 4th and 5th SCV. Using both right now for the hyd top link and the hyd angle rear blade. Still wanting the 3rd SCV. Get all you can up front. You will find a use for theme.

Dave
    Zebrafive likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements