Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 3rd svc help 4066

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-23-2019 @ 06:04 AM
    Thanks

3rd svc help 4066

Hey everybody. This exact topic may have been previously posted but if it has I'm sorry to reinvent the wheel. I also apologize for the length of the post, I thought the background might be in order.

I own a 4066M that's has a substantial modification. I picked up a Curtis cab from them on clearance. The cab was made for the "R" series. The ONLY difference I could find that would impact my cab installation was the location of the loader joystick. (mounted on the upper right frame of the D170 loader) My dealer told me there was not a kit that would relocate those controls. Since the controls are mounted next to the driver seat on the ”R" series H180 loader I kept looking. I finally found the kit and ordered it. I'm not much of a mechanical guy so I had everything delivered to Linhard's automotive in Cockeysville, MD and left town. I was going to be away for several weeks and they were going to work on it as time permitted as this was their not so busy time.

Well I came home and found that my tractor was exactly what I wanted. The hydraulics for the loader had all been properly installed. The front and rear cameras with monitor had been installed. The fan, auxillary lights and required switch box had been installed as well.

Fast forward 4 months and now I thought I wanted a rock bucket then decided what I REALLY need is a grapple bucket. A "grid" bottom grapple bucket will allow me to pick up some big rock filled dirt, shake a bit of dirt out and keep the rocks. Also the grapple bucket has more uses down the line than a rock bucket. (I need the rocks now for a gabion box wall I need to build to control some erosion. All the rocks found during other projects have been dumped in one area and covered) That means I need front hydraulics. The first question that needed answering was full time or diverter. The more I thought about it the more I believe diverter is best for me. It'll be better for me not to try doing 3 things at the same time. I've seen a bunch of places including my almost (30 miles) neighbor Kennyd from Bolt on hooks sells diverter valves for 1, 2 & 3 series but nothing big enough for my 4066H (it's no longer an M and it's not an R do it must be a hybrid) I've seen a few different things on the interweb but I'm really not sure what I'm looking at. Right now I'm leaning toward Summit hydraulics but I couldn't tell you why....

I THINK this is something I can hook up myself with some help from the folks on GTT. ANY help or opinions are appreciated. The pictures aren't the best but I had to include the one with my GSD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KIMG0087_1557851717343.JPG   KIMG0089_1557851756830.JPG  
    mark02tj likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,734 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Welcome (again) to GTT neighbor!, that's quite a story!

Can you show pictures of the valve and joystick please?

The Summit kit is a decent one, as is this one - it uses the same electrics we use but its a bigger valve rated for more pressure:

https://www.hydraulicstore.com/hydra...t/9502712.html
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Kennyd, here are the pics you requested, unfortunately the way the unit is tucked in I would need to do a major disassembly to get a picture from any angle other than from below. My big question, what are those cylinders on the bottom, they're a little bigger and longer than a "C" cell battery? There is soooo much about this that I don't know that I don't know what I should be asking. There aren't any "tractor people" living nearby that I know to seek help from. 12 houses on my street and I think I'm the only one that owns a lawnmower and I have 3, the big Deere, my "baby" Deere - a 455 with mower, blower and blade and my primary grass cutter a Z930M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KIMG0094_1557941164395.JPG   KIMG0095_1557941186580.JPG   KIMG0096_1557941209952.JPG   KIMG0099_1557941254265.JPG   KIMG0101_1557942466888.JPG  

KIMG0102_1557942482884.JPG  

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The "cylinders" contain the centering springs and detent balls for the float mode.

Looks like they did a nice job!

That's what the forum is for, to ask questions and help others when you can
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. I buy a diverter kit.

Diverter gets "mounted" somewhere past the 4 factory couplings.

The lines to the dump and curl get to supply the diverter. Outlet 1 from the diverter gets plumbed into dump/curl lines. Outlet 2 gets lines mounted to the center crossbar on the loader frame.

Electric momentary switch gets mounted to joystick below knob unless kit comes with a joystick. Switch gets power from battery or other live circuit. Switch also has cable which wires to diverter valve to shut off outlet 1 and diverting hydraulic flow to outlet 2.

Job compete, go play?

What kind and size fittings? What size (diameter and pressure - length will vary based on mount location) hydraulic lines do I need? (3 sets, 1 from factory outlet to diverter, 1 from diverter back to dump/curl and 1 from diverter to the crossbar) Where do I get a decent mount for diverter and hose ends? Do I try to mount the diverter on the inner arm of the loader, that's some thick a$$ steel. Am I missing anything? I have plenty of butt connectors and shrink tubeing. And I got a few wrenches.

Referring back to picture 1 in the initial post is it possible to mount the diverter to the bracket holding the factory outlet mounts. If I mount it there I may be able to cut back on 1 set of hydraulic hoses?

Kennyd, it looks like we could have had this conversation in PM since you're the only one responding. I REALLY do appreciate your help.

Side note does anyone have an opinion on the MTL grapple bucket on eBay? I don't need something providing years of heavy daily service. I'm just a retired weekend warrior trying to clear a few acres.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by usnfiveo View Post
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. I buy a diverter kit.

Diverter gets "mounted" somewhere past the 4 factory couplings.

The lines to the dump and curl get to supply the diverter. Outlet 1 from the diverter gets plumbed into dump/curl lines. Outlet 2 gets lines mounted to the center crossbar on the loader frame.

Electric momentary switch gets mounted to joystick below knob unless kit comes with a joystick. Switch gets power from battery or other live circuit. Switch also has cable which wires to diverter valve to shut off outlet 1 and diverting hydraulic flow to outlet 2.

Job compete, go play?

Yes, you got it! It is that simple...see attached schematic, any diverter will be plumbed similarly to this.

What kind and size fittings?
    The couplers are 1/2" ISO 5675 "AG" style. We sell them as do other places. The fitting to the hardlines are probably ORFS (o ring face seal) bit you will need to learn some about different fittings and how to measure them.

What size (diameter and pressure - length will vary based on mount location) hydraulic lines do I need? (3 sets, 1 from factory outlet to diverter, 1 from diverter back to dump/curl and 1 from diverter to the crossbar)
    3/8" for the feed hoses, and 3/8" or 1/4" for the two the front since your only operating a small cylinder. I'm getting a hose making setup online so I may be able to help some with those too.

Where do I get a decent mount for diverter and hose ends? Do I try to mount the diverter on the inner arm of the loader, that's some thick a$$ steel. Am I missing anything? I have plenty of butt connectors and shrink tubeing. And I got a few wrenches.
    You need to fab the diverter mounts, none are off-the-shelf. Some kits come with generic ones (did you see the one I linked?) I have a simple solution for the front using a tubing clamp.

Referring back to picture 1 in the initial post is it possible to mount the diverter to the bracket holding the factory outlet mounts. If I mount it there I may be able to cut back on 1 set of hydraulic hoses?
    You would generally mount the diverter on the loader somewhere, like on the right side upright. It becomes part of the loader that way.

Kennyd, it looks like we could have had this conversation in PM since you're the only one responding. I REALLY do appreciate your help.
    No PM's please...no one else benefits from that. MAYBE someones else will reply...but

Side note does anyone have an opinion on the MTL grapple bucket on eBay? I don't need something providing years of heavy daily service. I'm just a retired weekend warrior trying to clear a few acres.
    No opinion, they are popular because they are CHEAP. Probably OK for your 4-series, but they are to heavy for the smaller tractors even though many "think" they are OK, they are blinded by the cost.
    See comments above please...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DValve Diagram.JPG  
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a DSV-62-08-12 from Bailey for my diverter setup.

Not sure if it's okay to link to another forum but here is how I did my 4310.
    Kennyd likes this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    WoW, I am smarter than I look ....

One more question, do you ever sleep? Your responses are always quick and you reply on a ton of threads, here and at least one other forum....and you run a business and have another job.

Thank you again....
    Kennyd likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by usnfiveo View Post
    WoW, I am smarter than I look ....

One more question, do you ever sleep? Your responses are always quick and you reply on a ton of threads, here and at least one other forum....and you run a business and have another job.

Thank you again....
    Not much...
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Machinist View Post
    I bought a DSV-62-08-12 from Bailey for my diverter setup.

Not sure if it's okay to link to another forum but here is how I did my 4310.

Links are fine as long as they are relevant, I saw you thread on TBN too. My only issue with your setup is the mounting location, it's very vulnerable there and quite frankly looks bad in my opinion. Putting the valve inside the right upright hides it, and there is plenty of room.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast