• 2 Post By coaltrain
  • 1 Post By rayoung112

Thread: Hydrostatic Transmission noise

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-05-2019 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks

Hydrostatic Transmission noise

I have a 2019 JD 3039R tractor with the Hydrostatic Transmission. When at low idle it makes a ROOOOOT sound. It has been at the JD dealer for two weeks. They are working with the factory to troubleshoot. The shop has isolated the sound to the transmission. When they disable the transmission the sound stops. I spent an hour on the lot listening to two other 3039R tractors and they did not make the noise. Today I was notified that the JD factory said that is a normal sound. I am supposed to pick up the tractor tomorrow. They said it has something to do with air getting mixed with the hydraulic fluid at higher speeds, then when you go back to idle the air collects in larger bubbles and makes that sound when it moves thru the pips. They say all tractors with the Hydrostatic Transmission will make this sound. I have listened to two and used 3 for a total of 5 and have not heard this on any other tractor but mine. What do you think it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayoung112 View Post
    I have a 2019 JD 3039R tractor with the Hydrostatic Transmission. When at low idle it makes a ROOOOOT sound. It has been at the JD dealer for two weeks. They are working with the factory to troubleshoot. The shop has isolated the sound to the transmission. When they disable the transmission the sound stops. I spent an hour on the lot listening to two other 3039R tractors and they did not make the noise. Today I was notified that the JD factory said that is a normal sound. I am supposed to pick up the tractor tomorrow. They said it has something to do with air getting mixed with the hydraulic fluid at higher speeds, then when you go back to idle the air collects in larger bubbles and makes that sound when it moves thru the pips. They say all tractors with the Hydrostatic Transmission will make this sound. I have listened to two and used 3 for a total of 5 and have not heard this on any other tractor but mine. What do you think it could be?
    Can you post a video? We will be able to tell you right away if it is a normal sound.
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (06-04-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    I think my 4105 makes that hydro noise,, I have had several hydros that all can be made to make that sound,,, near idle,,

If you were talking to the doc on the TV show "Hee Haw",, and told him your arm would hurt when you lifted it and twisted it,,
    doc would tell you
    " Well, then don't lift and twist your arm!!"

If you told him you were hearing that noise at near idle speeds,,,
    doc would tell you,,
    "Do not operate the hydro that way near idle!!"

Speed up the engine,, the tractor is useless at idle,, anyways,,,
    PJR832 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,162 Posts
    This is a tough one. Being the factory rep said it’s good to go you don’t have much choice but to take it back and run it.

However, I would strongly ask (not demand) that the dealer provide an extended warranty on the transmission due to this. At least you will be protected and have the issue documented.
    PJR832 and RadarDon like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Can you post a video? We will be able to tell you right away if it is a normal sound.
    I will post a video as soon as I get it back from the dealer. It is funny that the factory had the dealer troubleshoot for two weeks before they said it was a normal noise. I think it is a transmission problem that they do not want to talk about. They did say that all Hydrostatic Transmissions either already make the noise or will after more hours on the machine.
    Last edited by rayoung112; 06-04-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayoung112 View Post
    I will post a video as soon as I get it back from the dealer. It is funny that the factory had the dealer troubleshoot for two weeks before they said it was a normal noise. I think it is a transmission problem that they do not want to talk about. They did say that all Hydrostatic Transmissions either already make the noise or will after more hours on the machine.
    Are you saying it makes the ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOT noise when it is just sitting at low idle, or when you are moving at low idle.
    Hydrostatic trannies definitely make some groaning noises if you are operating at low RPM. Most of us try to avoid low RPM operation.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Hydrostatic Transmission noise

Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Are you saying it makes the ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOT noise when it is just sitting at low idle, or when you are moving at low idle.
    Hydrostatic trannies definitely make some groaning noises if you are operating at low RPM. Most of us try to avoid low RPM operation.
    you can only hear the noise at how idle when it is not moving. I had my meeting with the JD factory rep for this area. He said that his head hydraulics guy said air gets in the hydraulics when it is returned to the tank. He said after it leaves the pump they are small bubles but combine back to make bigger bubbles. Those bubbles are making the burping sound. I just got it back last night so I have not made the video yet. Also there is a Green solid hydraulic line on the left side of the engine that you can see without removing anything. I am told it is part to the steering system. When you place your hand on that line you can also feel the burping. I will post the video as soon as I can make it.
    Last edited by rayoung112; 06-05-2019 at 12:17 PM.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    At low idle the hydro will whine , normal . I have 0 on the burping ?

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Thanks
    I'm a little bummed to hear that others are having this 'aeriated hydraulic fluid' issue. I assume that enough 3ers are this way that Deere service can get away with saying "well this other brand new 3er does it too, so it's OK for your's to do it too". Last year I bought a "demo" 2015 3046R with 40 hrs on it. Still had a year of warranty on it, so I had them look into it. The dealers response is that it is normal. My rrrrrtttt sound is worst upon start up after a week or so rest. And then after a couple of hours of hard mowing, enough of the hydraulic fluid is sufficiently aerated, that I can feel some jerkiness in the transmission. I typically only run the tractor a few minutes at a time to spot trailers, so it's only about twice a year that I noticed the fluid aeration severe enough to impact the transmission. I had them look into it again at the 100 hr engine oil change, again dealer response normal. I know that the problem is that the implement and steering pumps are above the level of the transmission, and are tasked with getting their oil by suction. The reason for the suction strainer, filter, and suction pipe. I pressurized the transmission oil fill port to about 10 psi and fluid poured out in the implement/steering pump area. So likely there is an air leak in that area under suction causing the fluid to become aerated on the way out. I did replace the spring clamps, which I typically like, because the implement pump side spring clamp was interfering with the alternator mount. This didn't make much difference because the pump is still wet externally, after a few hours of run time. If I cared enough, I'd probably remove the pumps, re-seal them, re-seal all of the suction pipe joints, and have a nice unit. However, since this noise is normal per Deere service and Reps, I will just run it until Kabota comes out with plastic body work and separate F and R pedals. It might be forever.....

Until then, I will just keep watching this forum to see the results of someone more motivated than me to effect a proper resolution on this matter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    '11 1026R

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements