My In-law’s heat with wood (primarily), so my Father-in-law is tasked with gathering cutting and splitting 4-5 cords each year, and as he approaches 70 it’s getting harder and taking him longer to do it. Last year or so I welded him a JDQA frame to mount forks on so he could use the forks to help out. He’s gotten pretty good at scooping up logs and moving brush with them, moving pallets etc.-but every time they visit he eyes my grapple. I recently had the opportunity to buy a take off Artillian diverter from a Gen1 2r series and we agreed to try and mount it on his 4610.
After some sleuthing on my part for a couple fittings and a fuse tap that would fit as well as gathering some misc supplies-split loom, tape, butt splices, shrink tube, etc. I planned the install for the holiday as we were visiting.
Probably the hardest part was mounting the actual diverter valve-part of his loader is a C/U shaped arm so it would be protected and was a good place for the split hoses the diverter supplies. I used the included long thin bolts and a piece of cut down angle iron as a bottom cradle and threaded the bolt heads up thru an existing hole in the loader arm, basically hanging the valve body inside that channel.
Electrical was next, we mounted the switch and threaded the wiring down under the floor boards securing it to an existing loom once it was wrapped in split loom. The existing fuse panel was within 6” of the end of the wiring, making installation of the mini fuse tap easily done. I hade issues finding a fuse that wouldn’t give a trouble code from the machine and able to face the right direction for the correct polarity of the panel and the tap, but on the 3rd try we had power. I struggled to find a decent ground on the right side of the machine that I had the right fittings for... ended up tying off to the battery temporarily. My FIL will find a large enough ring terminal to use the main engine ground half way to the battery.
After that identifying the dump/curl circuit, removing the right hoses and connecting the new diverter hoses went really quickly. The diverter lines with the QD’s for the front of the tractor ended up within inches of the loader crossbar. We just zip tied them in place, I didn’t use the block and clamp assembly there, the loader arm is too big and the existing hard lines are exposed so it really wouldn’t be a good idea to clamp over them anyway.
We fired up and cycled things, checked for leaks-had none- and attached the HD frame and the grapple unit.