• 1 Post By Auguste
  • 1 Post By Kbar

Thread: Best/easiest couplers?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Thanks

Best/easiest couplers?

I'm wondering if there is a general consensus on the best brand of hydraulic couplers to use on our tractors. Most of those that came on mine are Faster 2NV series with a few others (Holmbery?) mixed in for the 3rd function on the bucket. The bucket connections are particularly stubborn if there is even the slightest bit of residual pressure in the lines. I typically turn the engine off, exercise the loader joystick and activate the third function toggle several times before attempting the connection. Still, unless the machine has been sitting for several hours, it is a real bear to get them on or off.

Are there any couplers I could replace them with that are easier to work with? The lines are 1/4" out to the bucket if it makes a difference.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Thanks
    i have Pioneer couplers on a few tractors, other than the ones that need some new o rings (after 40 years) they work fine.
    Toughsox likes this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 1,125 Posts
    It's not so much the BRAND as it is the TYPE. Most agree that the "flat faced" couplers are the easiest to connect with some residual pressure in the lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails couplers_flat.jpg
    Toughsox likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,804 Times in 2,412 Posts
    Flat faced may be best, but they are EXPENSIVE and not easily adapted to our JD tractors. The ones JD uses are good-although very stubborn at times when there is the slightest pressure build up,
    johncanfield, Toughsox and Kbar like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Flat faced may be best, but they are EXPENSIVE and not easily adapted to our JD tractors. The ones JD uses are good-although very stubborn at times when there is the slightest pressure build up,
    So true
    Toughsox likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Are you relieving the pressure before you take off the FEL? Most times itís the technique. Not the couplers. I run an excavation crew and we take hoe packs, breakers, a lot of implements on and off our equipment daily and 99.9 percent of the time, itís the operator error. We use a Stucci screw on fitting for our higher pressure lines 3-5k but way more expensive than the Parker smaller flat face ones. Also, these fittings come with internal O rings that once they wear out, you gotta replace the whole fitting so keep them clean. Usually a quick spray w some WD 40 before mating helps elongate their life.

Put a crescent wrench in your toolbox and crack the fitting loose to let some fluid out if itís too pressurized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toughsox likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements