Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Do I need a new control valve?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks

Do I need a new control valve?

When I raise my backhoe or swing the backhoe from side to side the hydraulics slam so hard it is almost impossible to move the boom smoothly. When I use the other levers - boom extension/bucket or outriggers the hydraulics work smoothly. But when I use the lever to raise the backhoe boom or move it side to side it hits so hard you lose have the load in the bucket. If I am really careful and ease the control lever I can usually avoid the violent slamming but it really slows down the project. It only seems to be a problem on the one control. The boom, the grapple, mower and other backhoe controls seem to work smoothly.

The oil level is correct, filter is new so I think everything else checks out.

Any ideas? As is, the backhoe works but is very unpleasant and hard to operate.

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 2,461 Posts
    What machine are we working on?

You can add an inline resrictor to the circuit you're having issues with, that will slow it down.
    glc likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    What machine are we working on?

You can add an inline resrictor to the circuit you're having issues with, that will slow it down.
    Sorry, I forgot to include the model, I have a 3033R with the 375A backhoe.
    rtgt likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    How many hours do you have operating it?

My suggestion is to learn to combine the swing and boom up functions with something else whenever possible, that will slow the functions down some.
    glc, rtgt and kylew like this.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notwrkng View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to include the model, I have a 3033R with the 375A backhoe.
    I have the same backhoe on a 3039R.

Mine does the same thing.

A little bit goes a long way. You just have to learn to use a lighter touch on the boom / swing lever.

As Kenny suggested, try combining the motions. I will add, slow or stop the left hand motion before you slow or stop the right.

It takes some time. I have put quite a few hours on mine and it still gets me every now and then. When I get it right it works really smooth.

I am working on three motions now with *some* success.

Don't think about it, just watch the bucket and do it.
    kylew likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    So this type of control is standard? I have used a few small excavators in the past and the controls were much smoother - no slamming or hammering like I experience here. If that is the case I will learn to live with it but I was hoping/expecting it to be something I could remedy.
    rtgt likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notwrkng View Post
    So this type of control is standard? I have used a few small excavators in the past and the controls were much smoother - no slamming or hammering like I experience here. If that is the case I will learn to live with it but I was hoping/expecting it to be something I could remedy.
    A remedy was offered-install an in-line flow restricter if it is something you want to “fix” instead of learning to remember to control. KennyD is the man for Hydraulics.
    rtgt and kylew like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Excavators and commercial equipment use what’s called pilot operated controls, they are more precise, forgiving, and expensive.
    glc, rtgt and kylew like this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input so far. At least now I have an idea of what is going on and some choices.

So if I buy an adjustable in-line flow restrictor for about $100 at Northern Tool and install it before the control valve in theory I will be able to reduce the volume of oil that flows though the valve which will slow down the speed that the cylinders open/close and not harm the machine but it won't reduce the overall lift capacity. Is that right?

Or I could just put a restrictor between the control valve and the hose that raises the boom which will the leave the rest of the functions as they are, maybe my best choice since the swing is less of an issue for me.

I'm not afraid to try things, as long as the chance of permanent damage is low.

Will I use the backhoe enough to get a better feel for it as it is, probably, then it will sit unused for several months and I will get banged around again. I will be happy to tone it down a little if I can.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The best way is a restrictor between the valve and the cylinder. Do not restrict the main hydraulic flow, that will create a lot of heat which is a bad thing.
    rtgt, mark02tj, balrog006 and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast