Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: How much damage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks

Question How much damage

How much damage could I cause by running low on hydraulic fluid on a Deere garden tractor? When I checked the hydraulic fluid level it didn't even show on the dipstick (I'm talking about the dipstick that shows the fluid level, not the poster of this thread).
    Sportshot2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Thanks
    I wouldn't run it. If its not in the glass, put some in until it shows. Hydraulic fluid doesn't slowly dissipate, or burn away like motor oil. If its low, there's a leak somewhere
    Last edited by Kbar; 11-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    BigJim55, JD4044M and Toughsox like this.
    1025R, 120R FEL, 60D MMM, Frontier 2060L, Bunch of homemade stuff

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks

How much damage

How low was it and what model.

What symptoms do you have after refilling it.
    Last edited by rydplrs; 11-09-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueskybob View Post
    How much damage could I cause by running low on hydraulic fluid on a Deere garden tractor? When I checked the hydraulic fluid level it didn't even show on the dipstick (I'm talking about the dipstick that shows the fluid level, not the poster of this thread).
    What model tractor do you have?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    If me I would want to know how low it was and use something to see how far it is from reading on the dip stick. Us a longer rod and see how far it dropped. Also make sure you are level and sat a while still. I know on my 4044M I check it cold and sitting on my concrete pad same place each time. It makes a difference on mine big time not level. Haven't used any in over 450 hours tired of checking it. Now I just look for leaks instead.
    BigJim55, PJR832, Toughsox and 2 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    If me I would want to know how low it was and use something to see how far it is from reading on the dip stick. Us a longer rod and see how far it dropped. Also make sure you are level and sat a while still. I know on my 4044M I check it cold and sitting on my concrete pad same place each time. It makes a difference on mine big time not level. Haven't used any in over 450 hours tired of checking it. Now I just look for leaks instead.
    Agree... it will help once we know what type of tractor. Hydraulic fluid doesn't typically suddenly disappear unless there is a massive leak. On a lot of tractors there is still quite a bit in the sump even when it doesn't show up on the dipstick.
    glc, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Agree... it will help once we know what type of tractor. Hydraulic fluid doesn't typically suddenly disappear unless there is a massive leak. On a lot of tractors there is still quite a bit in the sump even when it doesn't show up on the dipstick.
    My sump is long and if not level a inch or so off it reads high or low on the tiny dip stick. I would not be too worried if it was a bigger tractor and just low cause there is a lot of Gallons in mine!

Re/read the post did you check the fluid level after something did not work right or just because you wanted to do it? Makes a big difference in what could be wrong or not wrong. Paul Harvey said stay tuned for the rest of the story.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 11-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    To answer Bob's question, "How much damage," is relatively simple: None to catastrophic!

Not knowing the specifics of the tractor, I'm gonna assume a hydrostatic drive and just generalize. When the engine is running, it's driving a pump, or usually two. These pumps have moving parts and require lubrication...oil, hydraulic oil to be specific. A sump has much more oil in it than is actually needed to operate. This is for cooling purposes...as the pumps & cylinders operate they heat the oil...and to maintain a sufficient level to operate on uneven terrain.

Low oil or no oil on dipstick: READ YOUR MANUAL. I've got a 322 which has a site tube rather than a dipstick. If I look at my sight tube while running or 2 or 3 minutes after shutting down, NO OIL! Ten minutes later, my level is fine...READ YOUR MANUAL!!

OK bottom line: Bob, only you can determine if damage has been done. Bring oil level to specs in MANUAL, start tractor and listen. You may hear some "funny noises" just after starting...depending on HOW low the oil level was..or you may not. Listen for any "whining" or "screeching/scraping" sounds in the hydro area. If everything sounds normal, you'll be fine. If not, YUK! Either back to dealer or pull hydro apart and replace $$$ parts. Bob
    JD4044M, Toughsox and ttazzman like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    The amount of damage caused would be dependent as to how long you operated it while it was too low.
    Best case scenario is,you ran it a little low and one or more functions would either cease to work or, work sluggishly. Worst case scenario might be, its so low the drive system stopped working and you kept it running for half an hour while still operating a function that did work. The hydraulic fluid is not only a mechanism for creating movement, it also cools the pump during its operation.
    So, theres no real way to tell what damage was caused until its topped off and you start using it.

But as has already been said.....hydraulic fluid has zero evaporation thus, it had to have gone somewhere. I'd be looking for some sort of leakage because, its wet somewhere along your machine.
    glc and JD4044M like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I tore my Hydraulic Hose off my Steering Ram on the front end with my tire chain once. Man that stuff comes out fast when you spin the wheel and wonder why it just turns? I was in my driveway when it happen. Figured I blew out 1/2 gallon real fast till I saw it. It was still on the dip stick and I topped it off when I replaced the hose. So it can go empty fast if it is a big leak and real slow if tiny but it will be wet somewhere. Don't panic you did not say anything stopped working just checked it and it was low. Top it off like others said and listen to it run then use it.
    glc and Toughsox like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast