Yet another "which attachment" thread!

View Poll Results: What type of rear "grading" implement do you suggest?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear Blade

1 7.14%
  • Agri-fab / Brinly box blade

2 14.29%
  • Landpride - style box blade

6 42.86%
  • Land Leveller

2 14.29%
  • Other / none

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Yet another "which attachment" thread!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks

I know this is a unique question (sarcasm online stinks doesn't it?), but here goes:

I'm moving to the country and I'd like some advice on what attachments I should look for following a 3pt hitch installation.

I have a 316 (onan) that I love. It works well and since I own it already, it's budget-friendly (another tractor is going to be a HARD sell... my wife isn't as enthusiastic about this kind of thing as I am!).

The 316 is more-or-less stock, i.e. no 3 pt hitch, no pto tiller, no front blade. I have a mower deck and a model 49 snowblower that have both seen their fair share of use.

Before long, my wife and I are going to start building our "forever" house - it's on family land and we're just slicing out a piece of the old farm to build on. Our driveway is basically the old road and it's 980' long with a clay and rock mixture - i.e. muddy as heck when it's wet and hard as all get out when it's dry.

I also plan to put in a decent sized garden to grow potatoes, corn, beans, etc.

What the heck should I be looking for for attachments?

I know I'll need to do work to the driveway on a regular basis as it's always a mess; is a brinly or agrifab box blade going to stand up to regular use with that sort of soil? Is my little 316 strong enough to handle a Landpride BB05? Would a land plane be a better bet if I can get it smooth once?

Also, everything is flat, but overgrown - I know I need to till the soil somehow to get a garden started, but there are million options all involving various implements - ranging from two bottom ploughs to building raised beds and doing everything by hand.

If you were me (luckily for you, you're not, but let's say you were), and you were trying to convince your wife you needed more attachments for your tractor, what would your list look like?

I'm looking forward to as many opinions as you have! (yep... the old saying about opinions and what they're like...)
    Levi, Rope_Chucker and Titleist1 like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HGannon For This Useful Post:

danmorea (03-02-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    love your post
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to danmorea For This Useful Post:

HGannon (03-02-2017)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    980' long driveway? You're gonna need a bigger tractor.
    Levi, coaltrain, romcjr and 1 others like this.
    2016 -- 2025R Tractor w/ iMatch. H130 FEL.
    BB2060 Box Blade, PB1001 Bottom Plow, PM1001 Middle Buster, RC2060 Rotary Cutter,
    Artillian 36" Forks, Artillian Front-Hoe Bucket,
    WoodMaxx TM-86H Wood Chipper, Edge Tamers, Ratchet Rake.
    2015 -- Z920M Mower.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    You know your 316 better than we do, so what you are comfortable attaching to it, is up to you. With that said, I definitely think a 3 point and box blade would be a good investment for driveway maintenance. Maybe a mold board plow to work the soil, or hire that done. Then a tiller would be a good idea depending on garden size. You could also get a tow behind tiller with its own gas engine if you couldn't find a 3 point tiller for your 316. Or raised beds, that's what I do and my tillers stay in the barn. A loader or front scoop would be nice for transporting manure, dirt, compost to the raised beds. I could go on and on and on and.....

Seriously, by the time you invest in all of this stuff, a good used machine with a FEL, 3 PH may be a wiser investment. Attachments for the 3 point would be easier to come by, hence more plentiful and perhaps cheaper. And keep the 316 for mowing.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Levi and 9 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

HGannon (03-03-2017)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    You know your 316 better than we do, so what you are comfortable attaching to it, is up to you. With that said, I definitely think a 3 point and box blade would be a good investment for driveway maintenance. Maybe a mold board plow to work the soil, or hire that done. Then a tiller would be a good idea depending on garden size. You could also get a tow behind tiller with its own gas engine if you couldn't find a 3 point tiller for your 316. Or raised beds, that's what I do and my tillers stay in the barn. A loader or front scoop would be nice for transporting manure, dirt, compost to the raised beds. I could go on and on and on and.....

Seriously, by the time you invest in all of this stuff, a good used machine with a FEL, 3 PH may be a wiser investment. Attachments for the 3 point would be easier to come by, hence more plentiful and perhaps cheaper. And keep the 316 for mowing.
    I agree with CP's assessment.
    Levi, Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

You're going to need a bigger tractor.

My wife used to be what do you need a tractor for.

The I bought a 1976 wheelhorse C160.
    It took me three hours to mow the lawn.

So then a 1995 F525 front mount. Took the mowing down to 1.5 hours.

Some where along the line I acquired a snowblower, tiller, brinly plow, cultivator, and disk. Then a JD71 planter. Made the gardening fun.

Then like you we bought the family property. 21 acres of woods and built our forever home. The two machines just wouldn't do.

So a JD955 with a 72" Deck, 54" blade and 70A loader was added to the stable. Even Mrs what do you need another tractor for saw the value of having it.

As you see my son quickly claimed it. So in order to get my tractor back santa brought him one for xmas.

So in 13 years of marriage we gone from you don't need a tractor to having 5. We also have my dads cub cadet mower.

It takes a while but constant nagging can work.

I will say though I'm thinking about selling the F525 as I don't really use it much anymore. Maybe. But then I might keep it too.

One can never have enough tractors or chainsaws.

Welcome to the club. Just make a list of why you need a tractor and include things like it will give me more free time for you, Make it easier to complete your projects without whining etc etc. She'll come around.
    Last edited by J3 Driver; 03-02-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 8 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutgeek View Post
    980' long driveway? You're gonna need a bigger tractor.
    I should mention that there's still an active farm down the road (probably less than a mile) - if I need anything major done, there's a 95 hp Deere and a 105 hp Ford that I could get my hands on if things were out of control (i.e. snow, etc.). The thing is, those tractors actually work. A lot. It's not reasonable of me to ask a family member to come do all the little things I want to do around the house. As well, that kind of gear is hardly suited for planting a little backyard garden!

If the whole driveway gets ridiculous, which it has in the past, I can also get a proper grader to come re-crown it. A friend of mine has a gov't contract for road grading and he's in the area once or twice a year; if he doesn't have to go out of his way, he can make a couple of passes for me (and has in the past) . I know that sort of changes things, but again, I'd rather look after what I can rather than asking someone else to come do it for me.
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Her family land or your family land. If it's hers you need a bigger tractor to maintain it to the standards that will be expected of you. You wouldn't want her family to think you guys aren't taking care of it the way they think it should be.
    1995 F525

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post

It takes a while but constant nagging can work.

One can never have enough tractors or chainsaws.

Welcome to the club. Just make a list of why you need a tractor and include things like it will give me more free time for you, Make it easier to complete your projects without whining etc etc. She'll come around.
    Oh, don't worry... I've already started

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Do you have any kids. Getting them on your side can help to.
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    1995 F525

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast