Ordered a 2038R, couple questions about mower and disc?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Ordered a 2038R, couple questions about mower and disc?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 09:20 PM
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Ordered a 2038R, couple questions about mower and disc?

    I just ordered a 2038R with the 72" MMM.

    How do these mowers do for mowing lawns?

    Also, will a 6.5' box framed plow (850lbs) be to much for this tractor to handle?

    Thanks
    pcabe5, FormulaB, Levi and 3 others like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Corndog Hater ColonyPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    10,711
    Thanks
    3,581
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 974 Posts
    I can't help you, but congrats on the new machine
    pcabe5, Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.
    Jamie

    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

  4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,447
    Thanks
    5,847
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts


    I have no clue either, too new. Wish I had your questions.

    Congratulation weatherby460. Appears to be a mighty fine tractor.
    Welcome to GTT.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 09:20 PM
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks....it was between a zero turn or this....I want to do food plots for deer, so I hope this machine is capable.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 2 others like this.

  7. Top | #5
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,663
    Thanks
    1,459
    Thanked 744 Times in 605 Posts
    Congrats.
    Drifterbike likes this.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 84 Times in 80 Posts
    I've read a fair amount about the 2-series in recent weeks with the planning and purchase of my 2520. General consensus seems to be that tractors of this size are not optimum for mowing a 'nice' lawn. They can burn through acreage quickly but they are harder on the ground when turning or on hills. And 4WD use can really tear up the grass compared to a 2WD or AWD tractor (like the x7-series). Wider mowers, in my experience from going to the 60" on my x758, tend to not mow as evenly when the lawn has contour to it.

    People seem to either gravitate towards an x7-series to be an all-around tractor or get a 2- or 3-series for big stuff and a dedicated lawn tractor or ZTR for mowing. That doesn't mean your 2038R won't do well for you, but it may not be as good as you hope it would be for mowing lawns. Now if you have large, flat acreage to mow without a ton of hills or things to mow around you may be perfectly happy.

    For me, I'm sticking with the x758 for mowing my 7 acres of my 10 acre lot and the 2520 will be a utility tractor.

    Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

    2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

  9. Top | #7
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherby460 View Post
    I just ordered a 2038R with the 72" MMM.

    How do these mowers do for mowing lawns?

    Also, will a 6.5' box framed plow (850lbs) be to much for this tractor to handle?

    Thanks
    Congrats on the tractor, you will enjoy it no doubt. For the mowing part, what tires did you order it with? Tires will make some difference in how the tractor and your lawn "get along". As far as the mmm, what are your expectations? Are you extremely picky in cut quality or are you the type that as long as the grass gets cut and it looks decent, your pleased?
    The disc, what is the soil type you plan to run it in? That will make some difference. I run a 7' disk that my granddad bought new along with a Massey Ferguson 135 in 1966. I have no clue what it weighs but it's stupid heavy for the size. I have been told my tractor wouldn't lift it or pull it (mind you I have been told this after disking many acres with it) and in some soil types it very well may not do it. Does great for me in the soil we have here but I would be happier with a 6' for trailering purposes. At 850lbs I don't think you will have a issue in carrying it and in my opinion you will pull it fine but if your planning on trailering the equipment semi often for the food plots, you might be happier with a 5 or 6' disk.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-03-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  10. Top | #8
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,124
    Thanks
    1,092
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I've read a fair amount about the 2-series in recent weeks with the planning and purchase of my 2520. General consensus seems to be that tractors of this size are not optimum for mowing a 'nice' lawn. They can burn through acreage quickly but they are harder on the ground when turning or on hills. And 4WD use can really tear up the grass compared to a 2WD or AWD tractor (like the x7-series). Wider mowers, in my experience from going to the 60" on my x758, tend to not mow as evenly when the lawn has contour to it.

    People seem to either gravitate towards an x7-series to be an all-around tractor or get a 2- or 3-series for big stuff and a dedicated lawn tractor or ZTR for mowing. That doesn't mean your 2038R won't do well for you, but it may not be as good as you hope it would be for mowing lawns. Now if you have large, flat acreage to mow without a ton of hills or things to mow around you may be perfectly happy.

    For me, I'm sticking with the x758 for mowing my 7 acres of my 10 acre lot and the 2520 will be a utility tractor.

    Rob
    Yup - my original setup when I bought my 2520 8 years ago was that with the loader and my 757 zero-turn - best of both worlds! But had to downsize/downgrade when I had to stop working so I had to sell the 757 and bought a 62D belly mower.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  11. Top | #9
    Bonehead Club Lackey Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Location
    NE Tenn.
    Posts
    10,153
    Thanks
    2,990
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    Congrats on the tractor, you will enjoy it no doubt. For the mowing part, what tires did you order it with? Tires will make some difference in how the tractor and your lawn "get along". As far as the mmm, what are your expectations? Are you extremely picky in cut quality or are you the type that as long as the grass gets cut and it looks decent, your pleased?
    The disc, what is the soil type you plan to run it in? That will make some difference. I run a 7' disk that my granddad bought new along with a Massey Ferguson 135 in 1966. I have no clue what it weighs but it's stupid heavy for the size. I have been told my tractor wouldn't lift it or pull it (mind you I have been told this after disking many acres with it) and in some soil types it very well may not do it. Does great for me in the soil we have here but I would be happier with a 6' for trailering purposes. At 850lbs I don't think you will have a issue in carrying it and in my opinion you will pull it fine but if your planning on trailering the equipment semi often for the food plots, you might be happier with a 5 or 6' disk.
    What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    They do have different kinds of tires to pick from. For all around for me I'd go with the one that looks like a turf tire but has the tread positioned like an AG or R-4 tire. Kind of like having the best of both worlds. If you're not wanting a golf course type lawn then you're going to love what you're getting. 38 HP can do a lot of work. I wouldn't mind having your questions.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

    Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 09:20 PM
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks everyone...any idea how long it takes to receive one?

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •