Anyone ever use a Woods 84" land plane/ scraper grader?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Anyone ever use a Woods 84" land plane/ scraper grader?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks

Anyone ever use a Woods 84" land plane/ scraper grader?

I need some opinions. Typically, when I buy something, I find out later that I paid about the highest price possible. With that in mind, I just ordered a Woods 84" (GSM84) scraper grader landplane with scarifiers. My local dealer charged me $1800. I am scared to ask this, but does anyone know if that is a good price? Also does anyone have any experience using the Woods Brand stuff? To me, it looked pretty heavy duty compared to some of the other options out there. I have a 300' driveway to maintain as well as about 1 mile of gravel roads in my neighborhood.
    JKR and ky_shawn like this.
    4044r Open Station, Rear downforce kit, Frontier 2184H blade, Titan attachments 48" forks, Woods 84" landplane, and hopefully a tiller someday

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jj9ball For This Useful Post:

JP Griffin (08-30-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jj9ball View Post
    I need some opinions. Typically, when I buy something, I find out later that I paid about the highest price possible. With that in mind, I just ordered a Woods 84" (GSM84) scraper grader landplane with scarifiers. My local dealer charged me $1800. I am scared to ask this, but does anyone know if that is a good price? Also does anyone have any experience using the Woods Brand stuff? To me, it looked pretty heavy duty compared to some of the other options out there. I have a 300' driveway to maintain as well as about 1 mile of gravel roads in my neighborhood.
    I have owned a woods box blade, rotary cutter, rear blade, and still own a woods finishing mower. I can't comment on the price you are paying but I can comment on the quality of woods, it's good stuff!!! They are pricey but quality isn't cheap.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Tartar brand sells a land plane through either TSC or Southern States for about $1k and it is either 5 or 6 feet so it is quite a bit smaller. It doesn't have the scarifers though so that could be an issue for you. I have found that nothing from Woods is cheap but they do appear to make great products. I have researched land planes a fair amount for the past couple of months but have not pulled the trigger. The price tends to be all over the map for land planes with most starting in the $900 to $1000 range for the 5 foot and going up from there. Your cost for yours appears to be in the general price range of one that big so I don't think you paid too much for it. This attachment is simply expensive from my research, way more than a box blade.

I researched this company and they are in the price range of what you paid for the Woods but the one I looked at was only 60 inches! So your Woods is a steal compared to them. DoMor Equipment-R600C Spreader & Dura-Graders - Domor Their shipping is extremely expensive as well. The land plane I was looking at has an adjustable blade. They are the only company I found that makes a land plane with an adjustable blade.

Everything Attachment's Land plane is priced similar to the Woods. Land Leveler Land Plane Utility Grader with Scarifier Shanks This company doesn't have anything cheap but they make great stuff. Lots of forum members have their equipment and seem to really like it and the company.
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure about all the different areas/states everyone is from but; In NY there is a Cooperative Extension and I have borrowed a land plane from them in the past. Piece of equipment that that I only used once in my life. Unless you have a ton of work lined up for one, I'd do some searching to see if maybe I could rent or borrow one. Maybe some of the machinery dealers in your area?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    SCUT 1025R FILB Purchased New August 2016

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    awwwwww yeah. I wrote the check.... I cried once, or twice. Now Im ready to make a mess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails land plane_1488997358796.jpg  
    Bubber, JKR, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Nice piece of equipment.
    In my use of land planes I found that unless you are removing or trying to level a "hump" from the muddle of a driveway or have some seriously big rocks in your driveway mix that the scarifiers can stay up all the time

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1MOA For This Useful Post:

2032Ranger (03-08-2017)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I used it today for close to 3 hours (much of it getting it level and figuring out if I needed the scarifiers). This thing got my driveway completely flat and level in nothing flat. I had it pulling so hard that it stopped my 4044r in its tracks. My driveway is around 300 feet long but has about a 10% grade (my house is about 30 feet higher than the road leading to the beginning of my driveway). So pulling it downhill was crazy easy and pulling it uphill was where I stalled out my tractor. I think I see why people suggest to use one of these for any major grading project. Unfortunately for me, my homeowners association had the grader come out and do our neighborhood roads today (about a mile and half worth) otherwise I could've really put it through the paces. I'm thinking I feel better about buying the heaviest one I could find the weight really does help.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
    Not sure about all the different areas/states everyone is from but; In NY there is a Cooperative Extension and I have borrowed a land plane from them in the past. Piece of equipment that that I only used once in my life. Unless you have a ton of work lined up for one, I'd do some searching to see if maybe I could rent or borrow one. Maybe some of the machinery dealers in your area?
    was that through cornell or a county?

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Grading implements are one area where weight is your friend. Woods is one of the best in the business, in my opinion. They may be a little more costly but are a much better value in the long run.
    JKR, BigJim55, blue87fj60 and 3 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-10-2017 @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jj9ball View Post
    I'm about to order the same in 6' version and paying $1500...not sure if that means $1800 for 84" is good or not good. As far as Woods quality I would say you can rest comfortably.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast