Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: I actually finished a winter project

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks

I actually finished a winter project

I posted some time ago about a bagger I bought on Ebay that was made for a different tractor and I modified it to work on my 1025r. It has worked pretty well with the original mods but was a pain to install and remove from the tractor, as well as storing it. It would not sit flat on the floor 'cause the blower housing sits lower than the rest of it on one end, and the whole thing was top-heavy when off the tractor. I'd been just strapping it to some mover's dollies but that was not a very satisfactory arrangement.

And now that I've been trying to get all implements quick-hitch compatible, decided that this one really needs it. But it would be a real challenge with all the changes that would have to be made to it, so decided last fall to make this a winter project.

First thing was to make a dolly for it to sit on to hold it up level and allow moving it around when off the tractor. Made this up with some 2 inch square tubing and some casters, and a piece of 1"x6" board.

Welded a short piece of square tubing to the top to fit into the open end of a piece of square tubing in the bagger frame to locate the dolly under it and hold it in position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dolly.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	325274

Now it's easy to move around by hand.

Name:	moves.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	325282

Now the real problems start. First consideration for this change will be the PTO shaft. This is a fixed-length shaft and the original was too short for my tractor.

Name:	orig_shaft.JPG 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	325290

I had it lengthened as part of the first change.

Name:	1st_mod.JPG 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	325298

Now it would be too short again for the quick-hitch since that will set the bagger back further from the tractor. And the lower Cat 1 pins need to be moved forward on the bagger which will set it back even further.

I never liked the idea of having this fixed-length shaft, made it hard to hook up. But to change it to a normal PTO shaft I would need to keep and use the yoke on the machine end as it was a non-standard piece with the shaft that goes into the drive pulley. The shaft looked more like a drive-shaft for a car and I was afraid that it might have non-standard sized u-joints for a PTO, which would make it hard to make up a new shaft which could use that yoke. But after measuring the cross and caps in the u-joint and doing some research online, was able to determine that it was a North American Series 6 size and all the pieces were available for a new shaft. So I bought all the pieces and put together a new adjustable shaft while keeping the original yoke on the machine end.

Name:	new_shaft.JPG 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	325306

The shaft and tube came 48" long so had to cut it down to 30".

With that solved, now it was a matter of making it fit the quick-hitch. The bagger originally had Cat 1 lower pins but they were much too close together for the quick-hitch. Also, they were positioned too far back so that the quick-hitch hooks could not get under them, meaning that they needed to be both widened and moved out further in front of the bagger for the needed clearance.

Name:	orig_pins.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	325314

For this I decided to use a Cat 1 drawbar which would have the pins already on it and would be the right width for the QH. Would have to make a frame to connect the drawbar to the bagger. Decided to make this a bolt-on and not weld on the bagger itself. I don't like making non-reversible modifications.

Name:	new_pins.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	325322

Also the top-link connector I had made for the original mod would not work with the quick-hitch so had to make a new one and re-purpose the old one into a brace for the new one.

Name:	brace.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	325330

Now it's easy to back the tractor and hook it up or roll the bagger to the tractor and hook it up. Since you have to get off the tractor to hook up the PTO anyway, it's easier to just roll the bagger to the tractor and hook it all up at once.

Name:	hook-up.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	325338
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

mdy1318 (09-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Thanks
    Well done!
    pcabe5, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the report. Looks great. Good luck
    pcabe5, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #5
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Nice project.👍
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Nice project. Was that MCS used on the vintage 400 (i.e. 400, 420, 430) series tractors? A friend of mine has one that looks like that on his 430. He is thinking about buying a 1025R and wanted to know if his MCS could be retrofitted. I said it is all about time and money!
    The one thing I did point out to him was, his MCS is designed to work with a 2000 rpm pto which is what the old 400 series tractors had. The 1025 has a normal 540 pto. This means the blower will not run fast enough.
    Just throwing this out there.
    I have actually been thinking about how I can retrofit my MCS to pto drive. It will take some series ratio increase.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Nice project. Was that MCS used on the vintage 400 (i.e. 400, 420, 430) series tractors? A friend of mine has one that looks like that on his 430. He is thinking about buying a 1025R and wanted to know if his MCS could be retrofitted. I said it is all about time and money!
    The one thing I did point out to him was, his MCS is designed to work with a 2000 rpm pto which is what the old 400 series tractors had. The 1025 has a normal 540 pto. This means the blower will not run fast enough.
    Just throwing this out there.
    I have actually been thinking about how I can retrofit my MCS to pto drive. It will take some series ratio increase.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    No, these were made to fit on Cub Cadet/Yanmar Sc tractors which are no longer made. Apparently the guy I bought the bagger from bought up a bunch of these and put them on Ebay. I posted here at the time about the mods I had to make to get it to work on the 1025r but I can't find that post now, this was back in 2015. The tractors these were made for must have had a strange 3-point, it had Cat 1 pins but they were very close together, the 3-point arms on the 1025r would just barely come in close enough to even hook up.

I did find the Ebay ad but it shows sold out.

Grass catcher,3 bag collection system
    Ray_PA likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Thanks for the pics and the write up. Great job
    spferdil likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Nice job and it looks great. One question though. Why not just use a mulch kit?

I bought one last year and it works great. Even on high grass when I don't get the time to cut on a regular schedule.
    spferdil likes this.
    JD
    2016-1025R
    H120 Loader
    54"MMM W/Mulching Kit
    647 Tiller

Power Beyond Kit Dealer Installed
    Quick Hitch
    Ballast Box
    Titan 42" Forks
    Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    More to add as needed.

Added:
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Diff Pedal Extension
    Oblong Ring Sling

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvada View Post
    Nice job and it looks great. One question though. Why not just use a mulch kit?

I bought one last year and it works great. Even on high grass when I don't get the time to cut on a regular schedule.
    Thanks, I only use this for leaves in the fall.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast