• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By Ray_PA

Thread: 60D Gearbox Oil Change

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks

60D Gearbox Oil Change

So I just changed the oil in the gearbox for my mowing deck. I unbolted the gearbox and drained the oil that way. It was easier removing the gearbox from the deck than I thought it would be. Anyhow, after seeing all of the shavings from the tractors hydraulics I was curious about the mower gearbox. I drained the oil through a paper towel and didn't find any shavings or foreign matter . I did notice that the oil was very dark. I've had it for two years and this is the first oil change to the gearbox. I'm wondering if I might have some kind of contamination (water) in my oil, or if this is just the color of oil JD uses?

Also, a question about the valve on top of the gearbox. What are we venting? If the gearbox gets warm/hot is the small amount of air it there going to make a difference? I haven't looked up the thermal expansion of the oil...so yeah what's the deal with that?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by bolar; 03-07-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    “You are a legitimate phenomenon ” – Dr. Peter Venkman

1025R 2014

H120 FEL
    60D MMM - Mulch Kit
    I-Match Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hook/Clevis Combo
    ABI TR3-E 6'
    ABI Classic 50P Spreader
    Everything Attachments 54" Box Blade
    Nor-Trac 3-pt. 50" Snow Blower
    17 cu. ft. dump cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    It is doubtful there was any water in there. Water in oil normally results in a light brown fluid that looks like chocolate milk. If in doubt you can Google "sizzle test" and give that a try.
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    As the oil gets hot it heats the air inside the box. This causes a build up of pressure. The vent is there to vent any pressure over probably about 2 psi.
    By the way, I have heard some say their vent leaks oil when they store their mmm upright. This vent should not leak. It is not an open to atmosphere vent.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    bolar likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements