Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Self-propelled log splitter?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-21-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks

Self-propelled log splitter?

Self-propelled log splitter concept/future project (maybe)?

I have a Ram Splitter 3 point log splitter hooked to the power beyond on a 3720 currently. The flow is rated at 8.6GPM. The cycle time is OK and splits just about everything Iíve put in it. It seems to me that 43HP to make 8.6GPM isnít very efficient to run the splitter.

Iím looking at buying an X730 with a 3ph and rear PTO for a tiller (to replace a 318). I could also attach my 3 point log splitter. I was looking at adding a Prince PTO hydraulic pump that requires 18HP for 11.5GPM at 2000PSI. That way I would have a more efficient (than I have now) and self-propelled log splitter. That would free up the 3720 for skidding logs or whatever without havening the splitter in the way.

Anyone using a Prince PTO hydraulic pump?

Anyone using a 3 point log splitter?

If so, whatís your setup?

What log splitter setups are you using?

Pictures appreciated as always.
    Thanks, John
    BigJim55, jdmich and Drifterbike like this.
    John From South West Wisconsin

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have no 3-point wood splitter's. but i do have 2 other pull behind ones. homemade ones-not factory ones.

so i wanta see pics too of urs. 3-point i mean! post them pics or even better a action packed video
    jdmich and Drifterbike like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

Ram Splitter pics

I have some pictures of the splitter attached to the tractor somewhere. I'll try and get those pics on here. If I think of it I'll get a vid of it in operation the next time I use it.

Do the same for yours. Any pros and cons to your setup? How many HP? Cycle time acceptable? Flow rate? Cylinder size? Pump/Eng. specs?

I think my cylinder dia. is 4-1/2" with a 24" stroke. I'll have to check the diameter. I'm using all 1/2" hose.

I like my Ram Splitter but I think I would rather have the wedge attached to the ram pushing through the log to the dead stop. That way it doesn't push the split logs off the end. More than half the logs I split need to be split more than once. That requires moving to the end of the splitter, picking up the logs that dropped to the ground, picking them up, and then moving back to place the logs in the splitter again. I think I'll try and reconfigure mine that way sometime and add cradles to the sides to catch the logs. Other than wanting a faster cycle time it works good, although I have nothing to compare it to. This is the only splitter I have ever operated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RamSpliter1.jpg RamSplitter2.jpg RamSpliter3.jpg ramSpliter4.jpg RamSpliter5.jpg

BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    More pics of Ram Splitter and 3720. In action... LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTDC0004.JPG PTDC0001.JPG PTDC0003.JPG
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    More action pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTDC0005.JPG PTDC0006.JPG PTDC0007.JPG PTDC0008.JPG

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    That is alot of wood!! I have a Brave 24 ton log splitter. It workes great. Its a pull behind that can be used either horizontal or vertical. I have split up to 55' diameter stumps with it in the vertical position. I had to use the 1020 to push it into the splitter. The vertical position is great to do the first split on these larger pieces.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    That is alot of wood!! I have a Brave 24 ton log splitter. It workes great. Its a pull behind that can be used either horizontal or vertical. I have split up to 55' diameter stumps with it in the vertical position. I had to use the 1020 to push it into the splitter. The vertical position is great to do the first split on these larger pieces.
    Thanks for posting.

I just looked at the Brave 24 ton horz/vert, nice unit. That one moves the wedge instead of the log the way I want mine to work. Do you have a parts list for that splitter? How wide is the part where the log sits and the wedge slides on? The reason I ask is because I might be able to bolt that wedge right onto my machine. Then I would only need to fab up a dead stop (weld a piece of steel to the end of the splitter. I'll look around on the web to see if I can find parts. Do you have any info?

I thought about getting a 3ph splitter that would go vertical before I purchase mine. But, for big diameter log I just lower it to the ground via the 3ph and roll the logs on to it. I have a hydraulic top link to angle the splitter down also. It saves the back. The vertical looks handier though.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Project Self-Propelled Log Splitter started...

Iíve started a thread called ďAnybody using a PTO pump to run a log splitter?Ē in the Machine Shed Hydraulics section. I didnít get any responses. Iím proceeding with my self-propelled log splitter project.

I just got this X730. Iíve started a thread called ďMy new 34 hour used X730Ē in the John Deere Tractors Lawn & Garden Tractors section. Here are some pictures of the Prince PTO pump I bought. It is a HC-PTO-2R along with the reservoir fittings etc. I still need hoses, pressure gauge, fittings, fluid, suction strainer, and misc. parts. Most of these parts are on order. Just waiting for them to arrive.

Once it stops raining and ground condition are acceptable Iíll try hooking up my log splitter to the X730 3ph. Iíll get pictures posted once I get that done.

Iíll need to fab brackets to mount the reservoir to the 3ph log splitter over the ram cylinder and move the valve forward a bit.

Still trying to decide how I want to attach the anti-rotate ďdeviceĒ to the pump and tractor. The ďdeviceĒ will be a chain, clevis turn buckle, or fabbed up bracket. I want to be able to slide the pump on and off without tools to attach the anti-rotation ďdeviceĒ.

Iíll post pictures and descriptions as I go. Commentary and pictures welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X730rear.jpg X730PTO.jpg ptopump6.jpg ptopump2.jpg ptopump1.jpg

ptopump5.jpg ptopump4.jpg ptopump3.jpg
    Tomfive, robpm, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Thanks
    Will be watching. I have 3 put splitter also that runs of remotes on 4010. Was thinking same thing. A lot of tractor just to split wood. Have lots of other tractors with pto could run it, and then could use on any of them.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    boy u have a lot of goodies sitting their already. i too agree this is gonna be a really interesting thread. i will be watching and reading intently. thanks!
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast