MCUT tooth bars are they all created equal?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: MCUT tooth bars are they all created equal?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 03:46 PM
    Thanks

MCUT tooth bars are they all created equal?

Really want a tooth bar for my 4010 as I know I'm going to be playing in the dirt quite a bit. I see a lot of recommendations for the piranha and it looks really aggressive, but it looks like once in wears out you pretty much throw it in the recycle bin and get a new one. The more mechanical looking ones look like they can be repaired pretty easily if a tooth becomes damaged. It seems though the price of the piranha may be low enough that I choose it over the more meaty, less aggressive looking bars.

So my questions:

What's the life span of the piranha vs the others?
    On an MCUT am I ever really going to wear the piranha out? I will likely spend 40-60 hours this year with it and then 10-20 afterwords.
    Which ones are more effective digging into southern red clay with lots of rocks?
    Which ones are more effective for getting out brush?
    Do you ever take them off once they are on or do you just leave them?

Would this work? It's for a skid steer, but it's the right length, has more teeth then the FEL ones and is cheaper. Toothbar
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Thanks
    IMHO,, if any tooth bar were pushed through dirt for 40 hours,,,
    it would be time to scrap it.

My tooth bar came from a CAT dealer,,, (for a skid-steer,, I think)
    it was showing significant wear on the teeth after just 2 hours of driveway repair.

I added abrasion resistant weld to the tooth tips,, and the wear stopped.

I use my tooth bar pretty hard,,, some days,

BigJim55 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnf View Post
    Really want a tooth bar for my 4010 as I know I'm going to be playing in the dirt quite a bit. I see a lot of recommendations for the piranha and it looks really aggressive, but it looks like once in wears out you pretty much throw it in the recycle bin and get a new one. The more mechanical looking ones look like they can be repaired pretty easily if a tooth becomes damaged. It seems though the price of the piranha may be low enough that I choose it over the more meaty, less aggressive looking bars.

So my questions:

On an MCUT am I ever really going to wear the piranha out? I will likely spend 40-60 hours this year with it and then 10-20 afterwords.
    Which ones are more effective digging into southern red clay with lots of rocks?

Would this work? It's for a skid steer, but it's the right length, has more teeth then the FEL ones and is cheaper. Toothbar
    i looked at ur toothbar--that is pretty much the same type i built, except fro the teeth, same kind of shanks, and keeper's(little pin to hold tooth on shank)
    I don't think u will wear those teeth out fastif u do--their are better teeth to fit the same size shanks. go for it-buy it and mount. u only to drill a hole on each side of ur bucket. easy to do. show us pics when u get it mounted -ok
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Big Jim and I have pretty much the same tooth bar - like the one shown in your link. Back when I had mine made there was no such thing as Piranha......

Over the last 9 or 10 years mine hasn't seen a whole lot of use, but when I need to dig I would never be without it. It should last me my life time as if needed the teeth are replaceable since they are standard backhoe bucket teeth.

And like Big Jim says - only takes 1 minute or so to put on or take off having just 2 bolts. I usually leave mine on in the summer and off in the winter as I use my bucket for snow removal.

There is another option which gets great reviews here on the forum - make sure you consider this when making your choice. Also to note that this one does not require any holes to be drilled and does have replaceable teeth. Another fantastic supporting vendor here.

https://heavyhitch.com/store/toothba...nt-end-loader/

Heavy Hitch
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 03:46 PM
    Thanks
    I did look at that one too coaltrain. I like the idea of not having to drill. I think I could make that one if I had teeth.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I think I could make that one if I had teeth.
    Weld-on shanks and teeth are available from several sources if you want to build your own.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Thanks

Different uses

So my questions:

I really like my piranha for brush and dealing with small trees. It just works great for that. If I was just going to dig with the FEL, I'd probably go with a more traditional tooth bar that has longer teeth and less front surface. The piranha certainly digs better than the flat bucket edge but I don't think as well as a traditional tooth bar would. I'm guessing a conventional tooth bar would be better on rocks but you might end up bending the bucket if one tooth got hung in a rock. I don't think you would wear out a piranha in a few years with your projected use unless the soil was extremely abrasive. I can barely see wear on mine and it's been on the loader for about 100 hours of tractor use but only some part of that was loader work. I leave it on except if I expect snow. No problem to take off and put back but no other reason to take it off.

I would view any tooth bar as something of a maintenance item. Eventually anything running in the dirt will wear out and have to be replaced. It's more a matter of when and how much but both will wear out. The conventional bars can just replace teeth for a while, maybe a very long while but eventually even those frames will wear out. In my case, I'll probably wear out first.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I did look at that one too coaltrain. I like the idea of not having to drill. I think I could make that one if I had teeth.
    Johnf--did u do a research on here??

did u fine mine and the one i copied from??

the one i copied mine from tells where he got his teeth from, i drove out to the business myself, as i love a roadtrip if i can manage it.
    but they will ship them all over the country, check on E-bay for them. i think i had about $80 in the shanks and teeth.

if u have a welder u can do it ur self. good luck.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    I just put a piranha tooth bar on my 1025 a couple of weeks ago to clear about 2 acres of ferns and some really nasty brush in our very sandy soil here in Florida and so far it has really done a great job. And it still looks as new as when I put it on. I don't think it will wear out in my lifetime.
    Firehawkmph likes this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    If you want to have a no drill toothbar like the ones we make, you'll need a special carbide drill bit and tap to make the holes in the shanks which are hardened to RC36-40. The drill and tap we use cost over $250 each! No matter what way you go, having the ability to change the teeth can make your toothbar last a lifetime.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF6206.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	326474
    Last edited by Heavy Hitch; 03-08-2017 at 08:13 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast