• 3 Post By Heavy Hitch
  • 3 Post By Tractor Tim

Thread: Adding middle buster plow to subsoiler

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Thanks

Adding middle buster plow to subsoiler

We have a garden that was brand new last year. Nice black dirt and decent soil, but still quite compacted ground. Had a guy come with a GT type rotary tiller last year but it only got us about 3-4" of loose soil. I now have a 2520 and a 60" KK Pro tiller so I know I'll be able to work the ground better, but as I've been reading it seems that using a middle buster first would really allow some depth to the seed bed and get rid of that compacted soil.

So, being the type who likes to spend wisely (and I'm OK spending, but I hate to waste money) I figured it might be best to get a multi-purpose tool like a middle buster/subsoiler combo. The only ones I find being sold as combos seem to be for subcompact tractors and are built short for limited cat 1 hitches. For instance, King Kutter makes an XB version that is a combo but the max working depth is 6". I'm sure my tiller can already get me to 6". I'd prefer getting down to 10 or so. My 2520, while not a monster tractor, has full cat 1 and could take a longer shank unit.

My questions to folks (and yes, I searched but found very little pertinent info) are first whether anyone makes a full cat 1 middle buster/subsoiler combo that is not too expensive, and second whether any of the standard cat 1 subsoilers or middle busters can easily be converted by removing their blade and adding the other style end onto it (putting a subsoiler point on a middle buster after removing the plow, or putting a plow on a subsoiler).

Attached is a pic of the KK XB combo unit for reference.

Thanks!
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Kutter MB-S-XB.jpg  
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and UBNT like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I bought a TSC subsoiler and then put a middle buster blade on it. It worked well, the blade didn't sit perfectly on the toe at the bottom but it was secure and got the job done.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    You can use as is and get the job done you want done. Use the sub-soiler or plow to brake up the ground, the tiller will do the rest. On virgin unbroken ground you will have to till the ground probably at least 4 time. Till it all long ways and then till it cross ways. Doing this twice should get you where you want to be and the ground will be so soft you will sink into it when you walk on it. If the grass/weeds aren't completely covered doing it this way then do it one more time. I till my garden at least one time in both directions even now. The first time on virgin ground I tilled it in both directions 3 or 4 times depending if everything was covered or not. The tiller will have depth of no more then 10", if that.
    etcallhome, pcabe5 and UBNT like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Look at Heavy Hitch. They have a combo sub-soiler/middle buster. Works with any 2" receiver hitch adapter.
    pcabe5, Heavy Hitch, Levi and 2 others like this.
    JD 2015 x738
    JD 48" Edge Mower Deck
    JD Snow Blower 47"
    JD Front Blade 54"
    JD Cat 1 3 pt hitch
    Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch-Heavy Duty
    Heavy Hitch Universal Weight Bracket 1 1/4 "
    Heavy Hitch Pallet Forks 36"
    Heavy Hitch Ripper
    EA 60" Pine Straw Rake
    Impact Rake 50"

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilliman View Post
    Look at Heavy Hitch. They have a combo sub-soiler/middle buster. Works with any 2" receiver hitch adapter.
    yes they do-if u want to see it in action--go to u-tube and type in Roy Rector--he has a u-tube channel, and reviews it in action. and he is fun to watch also. i believe he's in Texas.
    pcabe5, Levi, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks. I did find the HH one after posting this thread. But to get the combo you're at $230 plus shipping, which doesn't put you a whole lot less than buying both a subsoiler and middle buster at about $150/ea from a local store. And I'm not sure I would find a receiver hitch to be as solid and long-lasting as a dedicated 3pt attachment. On the plus side, I could load up the HH with lots of weight which would probably really help dig. So it is something to consider.

Bear in mind that I'm considering the combo not entirely for the garden duty. While that's what I would buy it for, I think having both would allow me to do things like trenching in the future.

Thanks,
    Rob
    pcabe5, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

BMOPE (03-12-2017)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Thanks. I did find the HH one after posting this thread. But to get the combo you're at $230 plus shipping, which doesn't put you a whole lot less than buying both a subsoiler and middle buster at about $150/ea from a local store. And I'm not sure I would find a receiver hitch to be as solid and long-lasting as a dedicated 3pt attachment. On the plus side, I could load up the HH with lots of weight which would probably really help dig. So it is something to consider.

Bear in mind that I'm considering the combo not entirely for the garden duty. While that's what I would buy it for, I think having both would allow me to do things like trenching in the future.

Thanks,
    Rob
    well i bought the sub-soiler a couple yrs ago from agri-supply.

3-Point Subsoiler, 4" x 1" Shank, Ripper Tooth

$164.99 EA
    i bought this to bury my electric fence in the ground for my new puppy. this thing will dig, that's for sure, and the price is very good also. shipping wasn't that bad, delivered right to my house, used the forks to unload off rear of trailer. it is pretty much i-match ready also, and i think u could mount a sub-soiler blade on it too.

mjncad, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Jim. That looks like it has promise. I see they have a middle buster that looks like it is almost the same unit and the point on this subsoiler is replaceable so I'm thinking a furrow could be swapped onto the subsoiler end. That wire layer also looks useful.

Rob
    1996 345 - Traded

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob,
    The Heavy Hitch will outlast any dedicated 3 point attachment and the subsoiler will work as well or better than any dedicated attachment and it stores easily when you're through, you can simply hang it on the wall. We have customers that have used this set up behind a 4020 full size John Deere and it performed perfectly. One thing to note: which ever unit you purchase, you should look for one with sheer protection so you don't do any damage to your tractor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRACS-G.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	328170
    Oh, don't forget to enter code GTT in the shopping cart for a special GTT member discount!
    Last edited by Heavy Hitch; 03-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Hitch For This Useful Post:

pcabe5 (03-12-2017)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Thanks

Thanks,
    Rob

I have the HH version. The 2 inch insert for the receiver is solid steel (rather than a tube). I intend to put together a video on this VERY soon. (as soon as it dries enough in my garden).

Tim
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements