Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: John Deere 322 3 point hitch.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-27-2017 @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 322 3 point hitch.

Hello, new to the forums and New too John Deere.

I just picked up a low hours, original engine john deere 322 with a 3cyl yanmar. Has a front loader on it, i just picked up a tiller that is setup for a 3point hitch. But my 322 does not have a 3 point hitch.

My question(s).
    1.If i pick up a 3 point hit for this they should just bolt on right? mine has the hitch plate that wont get in the way correct?
    2. How does the hydraulics work on the 3 point, i have the 2 controls/levers for the front loader. Is there a separate lever/control that maybe in my mind that i am forgetting that is there for the 3point hitch and mower deck?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
    BigJim55 and UnionSchnauzer like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-09-2018 @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    1. Yes, a 3 point hitch will bolt on without interfering with the hitch plate. There are some brackets that need to be bolted on, but you'll have no problem there. You can find an OEM John Deere hitch for around $400. Bill Ruegg sells a VERY nice aftermarket version for around $350 I believe.

2. The 3 point hitch uses the same rockshaft that moves the mower deck. I don't know if you have a JD 44 loader on the 322. If it is the 44, it will have its own controls. The black levers to the left of the hood are the ones that run the front hydraulics and the rockshaft for the mower deck. I can't remember if its the inner or outer lever that lifts the deck. (I added the H3 hydraulics to mine and reconfigured all of the levers, so they are different than what stock would be)
    JD322 and 69project like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Alright, i went and looked at a little closer before coming to work. I have an after market loader on it, didn't measure the bucket, but i know one level controls the lift of the bucket and the other lever controls the tilt of the bucket. Now when it comes time for me to use a mower deck, or rear tiller how does this effect the front load bucket? This is the part i'm clueless about. Or will be an instance that when i'm raising or lower the tiller it will also move the bucket a small amount but nothing to effect operation?
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokniw View Post
    Alright, i went and looked at a little closer before coming to work. I have an after market loader on it, didn't measure the bucket, but i know one level controls the lift of the bucket and the other lever controls the tilt of the bucket. Now when it comes time for me to use a mower deck, or rear tiller how does this effect the front load bucket? This is the part i'm clueless about. Or will be an instance that when i'm raising or lower the tiller it will also move the bucket a small amount but nothing to effect operation?
    Does your tractor have a lockout valve like the x7-series does? What that does for our tractors is divert the flow of one hydraulic path between front SCV and mid-mount lift arms. So if you have a front implement but need to raise/lower the deck you put the lockout valve in one position and it keeps the front circuit from moving while the deck raises/lowers. Or if you remove the mower then you change the valve and the front implement works normally. If your loader lift circuit is plugged into this setup (assuming your tractor has this valve) then you could leave the loader at one height while adjusting the mower deck.

Rob
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I will have to look for this, i was hoping something was in place like what you were explaining. Right now mine only has the front loader on it, no mower deck or anything. I am going to purchase a 3point Ruegg one, seems more solid then the Redlanhill 3point.

Just snagged a tiller on craigslist for 800$ in really good condition. Just gotta get my head around all this hydraulic stuff, all so new to me
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    Since you stated you had an aftermarket loader where are the hydraulics plugged in at? For the 44 loader it uses and external hydraulic pump and it's own hydraulic tank so it doesn't use the tractor's hydraulics. The hydraulic pump is mounted on the front PTO at the front of the tractor. Pictures of your tractor would really help. does the loader have a joystick for a control or two levers? Factory was two levers, very small ones mounted on the loader its self. The tractor should have two or three spools of hydraulics as well, those are the long handles on the left mounted closely to the side of the tractor.

From what you described someone plugged into the tractor hydraulics to get the loader to work. Does work very slow, it probably does if they did that. Sometimes people do that because they don't want to mount an external pump. If your loader is indeed plugged into the tractor hydraulics then you may have an issue using the 3 point and the loader at the same time if you only have two spools of hydraulics. If you have three then probably not as two of them will be dedicated to using a front attachment like a plow, blower or in this case an FEL and the third will run the 3pt/mower deck. I can't answer the lock out valve question but do not think there is one. Typically on these tractors the mower deck hydraulics and the 3 point share the same spool so they both move in unison when the lever is pulled. I think you can limit the rock shaft travel for the 3 point but am unsure about that.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Since you stated you had an aftermarket loader where are the hydraulics plugged in at? For the 44 loader it uses and external hydraulic pump and it's own hydraulic tank so it doesn't use the tractor's hydraulics. The hydraulic pump is mounted on the front PTO at the front of the tractor. Pictures of your tractor would really help. does the loader have a joystick for a control or two levers? Factory was two levers, very small ones mounted on the loader its self. The tractor should have two or three spools of hydraulics as well, those are the long handles on the left mounted closely to the side of the tractor.

From what you described someone plugged into the tractor hydraulics to get the loader to work. Does work very slow, it probably does if they did that. Sometimes people do that because they don't want to mount an external pump. If your loader is indeed plugged into the tractor hydraulics then you may have an issue using the 3 point and the loader at the same time if you only have two spools of hydraulics. If you have three then probably not as two of them will be dedicated to using a front attachment like a plow, blower or in this case an FEL and the third will run the 3pt/mower deck. I can't answer the lock out valve question but do not think there is one. Typically on these tractors the mower deck hydraulics and the 3 point share the same spool so they both move in unison when the lever is pulled. I think you can limit the rock shaft travel for the 3 point but am unsure about that.
    Ill snap some pictures this weekend, but it seems like you hit it on the nose. all 4 hydraulic hoses connect in the front of the tracktor, 2 on the left 2 on the right.
    It does work slow but it works.

So if i want to do this right what do i need? Id like to be able to use the implements without having to mess around with it too much.

After Researching, Would i just get the H3 hydraulic kit?
    Last edited by Sokniw; 03-15-2017 at 03:31 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    Without seeing the tractor, I am thinking to make the loader work correctly you would need an external hydraulic pump. You can source them from surplus center.com. You will need to research the pump size. Generally they are about 3.5 to 4.0 gallons per minute at the RPM the front PTO spins (most likely 2000 rpm), so a pretty small pump. The Surplus Center website used to have a pump size calculator on it to help you figure out the correct size pump. You will then need a way to mount the pump on the front PTO and of course re-route the hoses. This is assuming the FEL has a way to store it's own supply of hydraulic fluid. Typically these loaders store fluid in the one of the posts the FEL arms are attached too. If not then you need a tank as well, which may be part of the reason why the FEL is hooked to the tractor hydraulics in the first place.

Until you separate the FEL hydraulics from the on board tractor hydraulics, I think you are going to have a conflict between the loader and the 3 point, but really can't tell without pictures. I would source a service manual if you do not have one already. BTW, Johnson made the factor FEL for JD during this era. I would look at your loader and see if you can figure out who made it. It might be a Kwik Way or some other brand and they may actually still be around.

For a research resource, you can also go to Weekend Freedom Machines.com. It is a web forum like this but they tend to concentrate on GT's made before 1992. I would think there are folks who have way more experience and knowledge than me about your particular situation. I do not want to steer you wrong, so I would go take a peak over there and ask. There are original owners over there so...

Can't really answer the H3 question. I suppose you could make the tractor an H3, but I thought that part of the 300 series(318, 322, 330 etc) was all H3. I have more knowledge of the 400 series of that era since that is what I own. Regardless, you can't go buy an H3 hydraulic kit. You will have to go find someone parting out a 300 series tractor. You will need to get all the hydraulic lines as well. Ebay is your friend here, there tends to be a lot of parts for sale. You can also try TractorSalesAndParts.com - Hundreds of Used Tractors & Parts! they sell old JD GT parts.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    The Alternative would be to take the front loader off when i use any other implements correct?

Doing more research this is what i found http://auxhyd.com/H3-Hydraulic-Kit-f...-332-H3322.htm

i spoke to this guy and it comes with a lever to implement onto your tractor for 3 separate hydraulics controls instead of 2.
    Last edited by Sokniw; 03-15-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0242.JPG   IMG_0241.JPG   IMG_0244.JPG  
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast