Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: tired of the JD FEL

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks

tired of the JD FEL

Does anyone have suggestions or options for allowing the use of skid steer attachments on their JD loaders? I am very happy with my Deere but I'm tired of wanting the attachments I see locally for sale at excellent prices but obviously can't use. I have looked at aftermarket adapter plates but have no experiences with them. I don't know which are good and which may be junk. Are there any negative results from using the adapters? One of the issues I have is when I'm ready to buy something then by gosh I want to get in my truck and go get it. My local dealer is great but when it comes to attachments on the fel all I get is "we don't have it but can order it for you". I understand not wanting to have the overhead for items that might sit on the lot awhile for sale but finding skid steer attachments locally is easily done.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-13-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Without specifics on what adapters your considering it's hard to speculate on possible pros and cons, though as far as use goes-once pinned and clamped down I don't see much to go physically wrong...

Artillian has a blank JDQA frame you could mount skid steer type attachment points on and have a relatively stable, strong and lightweight adapter to use.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    Adapter plates may be cheaper, but they add needless weight and move the attachment out further reducing your lifting power ever more-plus they add more "slop" to the system.

JD sells the parts to convert the 300cx to SSQA, # BW15244, not sure what it would take to get it on your 300x though.

John Deere SKID STEER ATTACHMNT CARRIE BW15244

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300cx.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	328658
    mjncad, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have the JD SSQA adapter on my H180 loader for my 4066R. It was taken off a 400X loader that was previously on a 4720. I do not know how it would work on a CX loader. Once you have the SSQA adapter, you will wonder why you waited so long. Attachments are so plentiful for SSQA and most of the competitive tractors already use SSQA so you can also use their attachments. Also they are cheaper. Anything that fits a skid steer will then fit your tractor.

Dave
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    There must be a skid steer junkyard,,, somewhere,,,

Just get a SSQA off a skid steer,,,
    cut a little,, weld a little,,,

mjncad, Gizmo2, fdmars and 12 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Adapter plates may be cheaper, but they add needless weight and move the attachment out further reducing your lifting power ever more-plus they add more "slop" to the system.

JD sells the parts to convert the 300cx to SSQA, # BW15244, not sure what it would take to get it on your 300x though.

John Deere SKID STEER ATTACHMNT CARRIE BW15244

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300cx.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	328658
    I anticipated the additional weight and for 90% of what my loader is used for I'm fine with loosing some capacity. What I didn't think about was additional "slop". This is something I do not want at all and is the information I was wanting when posting this thread. I saw the conversion parts through JD, is there any other companies producing a conversion for JD loaders?
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I have the JD SSQA adapter on my H180 loader for my 4066R. It was taken off a 400X loader that was previously on a 4720. I do not know how it would work on a CX loader. Once you have the SSQA adapter, you will wonder why you waited so long. Attachments are so plentiful for SSQA and most of the competitive tractors already use SSQA so you can also use their attachments. Also they are cheaper. Anything that fits a skid steer will then fit your tractor.

Dave
    For the reasons you mentioned I am ready to do something ASAP to make my loader work with skid steer attachments. I do not want something that is weak or as Ken mentioned "sloppy" and for this reason it has taken the appeal away from the adapters I have been looking at. I'm not complaining about the John Deere setup, it's a great setup. I'm complaining about the availability of attachments in my local area for both new and used JD/frontier loader attachments. Yes the skid steer attachments are cheaper but the biggest reasoning I'm wanting to make my loader accept them is for the fact that skid steer attachments are easily available plus there are far more options for different attachments.
    mjncad, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    OK...so lets go at this a different way, please indulge me

What attachments that will work on a SSL (skid steer loader) will also work well on a compact tractors loader? There are really only three IMO, a bucket, forks, and a lightweight grapple-all of which is readily available in the JDQA format.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    OK...so lets go at this a different way, please indulge me

What attachments that will work on a SSL (skid steer loader) will also work well on a compact tractors loader? There are really only three IMO, a bucket, forks, and a lightweight grapple-all of which is readily available in the JDQA format.
    Yup you already said it for me, buckets, blades, grapples and forks. Like you said there's only so much that can be done with a compact tractor loader. I scour the local classifieds and regularly finding forks (which are pretty much the same as any other, just forks) but I'm finding grapples of different configurations really easy and hate to say it, much cheaper than those I have looked at online for a JD. Plus I have already went and seen them with my own eyes and that's not something I have been able to do with JD attachments. I accumulate hours/wear fairly quick and trade tractors somewhat often so I am trying to plan ahead in terms of not limiting myself to attachments that will only work with a JD loader. I like my Deere a lot and most likely will purchase another Deere but it's possible that I will not. It may not make sense to many on here but in my mind I'm trying to get implements and attachments that will be universal across other machines/brands. I do not want to end up with another brand down the road and try selling my current Deere with everything I have accumulated for it as a package which doesn't work out well often as buyers will only want the tractor and certain implements (been there and done that numerous times) leaving me with some attachments that I'm trying to sell separately. I may be wrong but it seems like it would make most sense to make my current loader accept SS attachments and buy what I'm needing now for attachments and have them for however long they last me into the future regardless of what I use them on. I have been looking at some smaller open station tractors recently to fill a gap that the 3520 with cab as created. Over the weekend I looked at a small skid steer and it's got my mind going in another direction. It would be a very nice bonus to have attachments that could be used on the tractor or skid steer if I choose to go with one in the near future as well.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-13-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks
    Not sure this will help but I just rented a 319E skid steer and I was reminded of why I don't like FELs for skid steer type work: hydraulics are too slow, can't properly see the front of the bucket, can't easily tell when the bucket is level and the overall tractor/FEL length makes maneuvering difficult. The versatility of the skid steer attachments are awesome for the skid steer but not so much for the tractor. My main use was brush cutting some pretty rough terrain and the skid steer was the only option. And if I still has my 4320, I would feel the same way.

If I didn't have fields to maintain, I would be very tempted to go with only a skid steer as my primary vehicle because of the attachment versitility that is now available. It would still be JD yellow though.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast