Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: tiller

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-14-2018 @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks

tiller

I have a bunch of questions before I buy. Jd quoted me on a 49" Frontier tiller. I am not sure but is this a chain drive. I have clay soil and asked for a beefy tiller, so I don't tare it up. What's my best option for a good tiller for iMatch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    The JD Tiller, I believe it is the 647(?), is very nice. My friend has one and uses it for his food plot for deer and used it to prep his yard. It does an excellent job from what I have seen. I don't think you can go wrong with it. It is pretty stout. It should have either a slip clutch or shear bolt on it so I doubt you will tear it up. The only knock on the JD tiller I can find is the cost. That special green paint adds about $500 to the cost of it.

I do not think a JD tiller will have an issue with clay. Where you get into trouble with any tiller (at least I have) is if there is a lot of rocks or big roots in the ground. I have an old 35 tiller I use with my 400 and have managed to break the shear bolt only once so far, but I hit a rather large rock when I did it. My soil is nothing but clay. You just have to keep making passes to bust the clay up as desired. Bring a snickers bar and coke because it will take a while.

If you are looking for cheaper solution, King Kutter makes one that folks on here have liked. Northern Tool or Tractor Supply are places to look for that or since you list Wisconsin as where you are from maybe Blaine's Farm and Fleet sells that brand? I believe Land Pride makes one as well. With the non-JD brand tillers you will have to ensure it is quick hitch compatible. The specifications do not always say that.

Here is link to the Northern Tool section for CAT 1 tillers and cultivators.

Plows + Cultivators + Tillers | Heavy Duty Farm Tools + Implements | Farm + Acreage | Northern Tool + Equipment
    rtgt, Levi, OxPath and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    02-14-2018 @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies. I am lucky very few rocks. But I have more time than money so taking my time, love the seat time.
    Levi, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Thanks
    I'd say save the money for more attachments and get the King Kutter XB model and you can make some small mods for it to work on the imatch as many members here have done. One member here is great with making videos on just about everything. https://youtu.be/056uuicU3K8
    OxPath, BigJim55 and Tractor Tim like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Mills Fleet Farm would be another place to look for the King Kutter tillers. I have a Landpride on my 1025r and love it. Not cheap however but I could roll the cost into the financing which was a big plus. I have clay soil and rocks in my gardens and the Landpride tackles it all without an issue. I've slipped the slip clutch on it a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Deere 647. It is a pretty solid tiller...and it has a slip clutch, so you don't need to worry about tearing it up. It did a good job for me digging a garden into hard grassland. I would have no problem recommending it. Like others have said, however, you can get a really good tiller for less money with the King Kutter.

Sometimes it can be kind of a pain to have a lot of good options...
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 1025r; H120 loader; Howse 48" rotary cutter; Deere 647 tiller; County Line post hole digger; County Line middle buster; County Line carry-all; Ford 5' 3-point blade; Heavy Hitch receiver hitch/weight bracket; Heavy Hitch tooth bar; Titan pallet forks; Ken's bolt-on hooks.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

Jd 647 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod32 View Post
    I have the Deere 647. It is a pretty solid tiller...and it has a slip clutch, so you don't need to worry about tearing it up. It did a good job for me digging a garden into hard grassland. I would have no problem recommending it. Like others have said, however, you can get a really good tiller for less money with the King Kutter.

Sometimes it can be kind of a pain to have a lot of good options...
    I have 6 acres of clay soil and a 647 tiller. The slipper clutch is nice, but if you burn it up (my own inexperienced operator stupidity) you may have a probkem. JD sells the whole clutch for about $1000. That's nuts! I bought the clutch disks for less then $40 from Agri-Fab and spent less than 45 minutes changing them out. Would I spend more for the 647 vs the other tillers?
    I got it rolled into the tractor purchase deal so it made sense, especially after I looked at the weight. I like more wt on my 3 pt implements. The 1025R can't press down on the 3 pt hitch.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    ... The 1025R can't press down on the 3 pt hitch.
    Neither can any other tractor as far as I know.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    The 647 gets another endorsement from me, too. Very beefy, and tears through my clay-filled dirt with no problem. I got it rolled into the tractor purchase and was going to buy a new 647, and at the last minute the dealer called to tell me a used one just came in, which they sold me for a great price and rolled it into the monthly payments. Maybe your dealer can offer insight about 647 turnover and if you can get a used one.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Tractor Tim like this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I can say the 647 is a great tiller as I had one. Used it on my rocky soil with lots of rocks, no problem what so ever. When I traded up in tractors I also traded up in tillers as I thought bigger was better. Not always the case as for tillers, bigger also means heavier. I still would have had to trade the tiller because the one I had was a cat. 0 and I traded to a cat. 1. After 14 years my tiller is still as good as new and I do my share of tilling and even though I got rid of a lot of rocks, I still have a lot of rocks. I till every spring and every fall. I had a garden that was 50'x60', 30'x100' and am now on one that is 55'x120'. All 3 of my gardens were made in virgin soil. When I get done tilling you will sink into the soil a good 1½ to 2 inches when walking on it. My tiller is a Curtis I got from my JD dealer. Can't seem to find them anywhere except in my barn.
    BigJim55 and Firemark like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast