Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Looking for 5' rake with guage wheels

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-26-2017 @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks

Looking for 5' rake with guage wheels

In the market for a Landscape rake for my 1025r. Will use this for cleaning up some sticks/rocks/old plant material from some large dirt plots and for maintaining some grushed asphalt driveway (about 500 feet).

Local Deere dealers want about $975 for the Frontier LR5060L with the wheel attachments kit

Mutton Power wants $629 for the LR 5060L plus $230 Shipping (but no wheel kit) ($859 total + wheels)

Frontier LR5060 Landscape Rake

Everything Attachments has the Land Shark 60-inch at $595 and $250 for the wheels ($845 total) - looks well built

https://www.everythingattachments.co...e-p/ls-lsr.htm

Rural King has a King Kutter XB for $379 + $200 for the wheel kit ($160 Shipping) ($739 total) (Looks less sturdy, though)

http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter...Uw6gQodGzMEqQ#

Questions...

Anyone with experience with these units on a 1-series?

Not sure if the $100 savings is worth it for the King Kutter vs. the Land Shark. The KK looks less well built and the tines aren't supported as well.

How important is tine quality for wear and tear, forgiveness, and durability?

Any other 60-inch units to consider in the $700-$900 price-range (WITH gauge wheels)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    If $$$ is the primary concern,,, watch Craigs List until one pops up.
    I paid $300 for my rake with gauge wheels.,,, I did have to drive 3 hours to get it.

Mine is a 7' rake,, not a 5',,, I thought I wanted a 5', and I was planning on unbolting the extra tines.

Well,, that never happened,, there is nothing wrong with the rake being 7' wide.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    I have a version of this.

Landscape Rake with Optional Wheel Kits - Tarter Farm & Ranch

Mine is gray is a beefier/heavier 5 foot version of this. I bought it from Southern States and paid somewhere between 500-600 for it. Tarter sells a lot of their stuff through TSC as well. This version appears to be constructed in a similar manner. It is offered with a wheel kit but do not know how much that is. I have had mine for a year and use it to clear rocks and debris from my lot. My lot is raw cleared land that used to be woods so it has been used pretty hard with no ill effects. I use a 2210 to pull it and it will stop the tractor if I am pulling enough rocks and debris. I did not get the wheel kit, but I probably should go back and get it.

As you shop for one, pay special attention as to how the tines are attached to the frame. My recommendation is for how Tarter does it, the tines are sandwiched between two pieces of notched U channel. If it is simple angle iron, it can twist. There is a forum member who just bought a frontier rake that was made of angle iron that became all twisted the first or second time he used it. Search for the thread.

I think EA makes a great rake, just seemed expensive when I was looking at it, but you get what you pay for.

The only problem with search CL is to make sure you find one that is quick hitch compatible but I agree you can find some ones at a decent price, especially if you do not care about looks.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks
    I am the victim of twisted angle iron tine arms.

Make sure that the rake has some type of bracing to prevent twisting. I am having problems with my newly purchased rake. Check out "FRONTIER LR2072 Problems" on this forum. I have invested $800 in the LR2072 and it is junk. It appears that I have just lost this money on my new purchase. I guess that I will be able to salvage the tines to use on the next rake that I purchase. No support from my dealer or John Deere Customer Care. Again, make sure that it well built and reinforced. Stay away from angle iron arms for the tines. I recommend a strong C-channel or box tubing for the tine arms.

Not cheap but well built.
    https://www.everythingattachments.co.../etalr-iii.htm

https://cdn3.volusion.com/wf72e.9ho5...ALR-III-5T.jpg

P.S.- The JD 1025r appears to be a sub-compact tractor. A 5-foot rake would probably be a pretty big load for this tractor. If using turf tires, it might not pull the load. Good Luck and search wisely.
    Last edited by robwall90; 03-18-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: P.S. added

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kellzey View Post
    I have the Frontier LR5060 and am very happy with it. It seems built heavy enough. The nice thing about the LR5060 is that the Tartar gauge wheel kit from Rural King will bolt right on. You will need to supply your own longer mounting bolts for the gauge wheels.

Below is a photo of my rake with the wheel kit installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1554.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	331362

Name:	Tartar_gauge _wheels.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	331370
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Viper21 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

wentonbrown (03-18-2017)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a Woods dealer nearby check out the LRC 60, they are really heavy duty rakes. I think I paid around $600 for mine a few years ago and the wheel kit (which I didn't get) was another 300-350.

http://www.tractorpartsandreplacemen...22417127_1.jpg
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 AM
    Thanks
    Good morning kellzey, I was on Craigslist this morning browsing John Deere in the for sale and came across this Frontier rake for $500. Here is the link.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/6044411276.html

Saw your post earlier this week and remembered something for a change. So anyway don't know if this helps you or not but there you go.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2305 and a frontier rake with wheel kit and love it and has worked out very well for the way I use it for.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1822.JPG   DSCN1825.JPG  
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-26-2017 @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I have the Frontier LR5060 and am very happy with it. It seems built heavy enough. The nice thing about the LR5060 is that the Tartar gauge wheel kit from Rural King will bolt right on. You will need to supply your own longer mounting bolts for the gauge wheels.

Below is a photo of my rake with the wheel kit installed.

Name:	IMG_1554.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	331362

Name:	Tartar_gauge _wheels.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	331370
    Thanks everyone.

I have been watching Craigslist too.

So one INTERESTING thing I found out...

The Tarter LR5 is also sold at Tractor Supply Company as the CountyLine LR5. Made by Tarter for TSC.

In studying the photos, I discovered it's the exact same unit as the Frontier LR5060L. Some have speculated that Frontier subs out some of their implements to other vendors. One difference is that the Tarter/CountyLine doesn't have a "stand". Easily remedied at a trailer supply shop.

Tractor Supply has the CountyLine LR5 for $499. Much better than the $750 for the Frontier LR5060L. TSC's site "says" Free in-store pickup, but I can't seem to find a dealer that has it "in stock". Of course you can "Ship to store" for $225.00. Which defeats the purpose of free in-store pickup. I've emailed Corporate to see what they say.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kellzey View Post
    The Tarter LR5 is also sold at Tractor Supply Company as the CountyLine LR5. Made by Tarter for TSC.

In studying the photos, I discovered it's the exact same unit as the Frontier LR5060L. Some have speculated that Frontier subs out some of their implements to other vendors. One difference is that the Tarter/CountyLine doesn't have a "stand". Easily remedied at a trailer supply shop.

Tractor Supply has the CountyLine LR5 for $499. Much better than the $750 for the Frontier LR5060L. TSC's site "says" Free in-store pickup, but I can't seem to find a dealer that has it "in stock". Of course you can "Ship to store" for $225.00. Which defeats the purpose of free in-store pickup. I've emailed Corporate to see what they say.
    Good catch. The CL LR5 looks to be identical to the Frontier LR5060L. That whole shipping thing is a bit of a farce. I just checked and it costs the same to ship it to my house as it does to have it shipped to the store. And what is "free in-store pickup" anyway? When do you ever have to PAY to buy something in the store? Hopefully they can get the shipping squared away for you.

The good news is that means the Tartar wheel kit will bolt right on. Also, as far as the parking stand is concerned. It looks like you can buy that as a "kit" from JDParts as it bolts on with some U-bolts. The kit is only $32.45 which is cheap for a parking stand. I paid almost $80 for a LandPride parking stand.

Name:	5TITE511204.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	332082

5 5TITE511204 Stand AR With Hardware

5TITE511204
    Part Price: 32.45 USD
    On Hand: 0 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availaibility) Check Other Stores
    Description: Stand - ECONOMY LANDSCAPE RAKE & REAR BLADE
    Package Quantity: 1
    rtgt and Firemark like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast