Fertilizer/Seeder and Biodegradable Oil. What do you use?
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 5 Post By ky_shawn
  • 4 Post By greenharley
  • 2 Post By Minuteman17
  • 3 Post By Treefarmer
  • 2 Post By RetiredDoc

Thread: Fertilizer/Seeder and Biodegradable Oil. What do you use?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

Fertilizer/Seeder and Biodegradable Oil. What do you use?

I just got a Frontier SS1067B fertilizer spreader. This is my first spreader. The manual has this advice about maintenance:

After each use:
    1. Be sure to thoroughly wash the machine without using excessive pressure especially on the moving parts. It is particularly important to wash the implement after using salt or fertilizer. This will help prevent the caustic chemicals in the salt and fertilizer from destroying the metal of the machine.
    2. Carefully dry the machine.
    3. Apply a thick layer of grease to all exposed moving parts.
    4. Apply a film of biodegradable oil in crevices and corners.

What is biodegradable oil, and why is it recommended instead of something like WD40?

And, anyone have some learned from experience maintenance tips to share with me? Thanks.
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    I just got a Frontier SS1067B fertilizer spreader. This is my first spreader. The manual has this advice about maintenance:

After each use:
    1. Be sure to thoroughly wash the machine without using excessive pressure especially on the moving parts. It is particularly important to wash the implement after using salt or fertilizer. This will help prevent the caustic chemicals in the salt and fertilizer from destroying the metal of the machine.
    2. Carefully dry the machine.
    3. Apply a thick layer of grease to all exposed moving parts.
    4. Apply a film of biodegradable oil in crevices and corners.

What is biodegradable oil, and why is it recommended instead of something like WD40?

And, anyone have some learned from experience maintenance tips to share with me? Thanks.
    One example of biodegradable oil would be Wesson vegetable oil. I first assumed it was because of the environment and the products running through a seeder ending up in ground was a reason it's recommended but the thick layer of grease it calls for blows that theory out of the water.

I have a lesson learned regarding maintenance, if you loan your spreader out to someone that says they are only running fescue seed through it, go ahead and clean it up yourself when they return it. Fertilizer sure enough will cause a lot of rust in a years time.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-22-2017 at 05:41 AM.
    BigJim55, Ray_PA, keane and 2 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks
    This what I use. Learned about it here on GTT. Lanolin based.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170322_171038.jpg  
    2017 2038r, Toro Z-Master 27hp 52" deck ( the Buck and the Bull ) 220r FEL, 61" bucket, 60" Autoconnect MMM with command cut, 270b backhoe RB2060L rear blade, BB5060 box blade, Speeco quick hitch, Piranha 53" tooth bar, Land Pride rta1050 tiller, Baker 24 PTO Chipper/ Shreader, Herd fertilizer/seed spreader,16 JD 42 pound weights, Heavy Hitch front and rear weight brackets with 2" receiver, KBOH Hooks and Clevis bracket. Titan 36" forks with receiver hitch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

Thumbs up seeder lube

Quote Originally Posted by greenharley View Post
    This what I use. Learned about it here on GTT. Lanolin based.
    I've used that same Fluid Film on a DR Field & Brush mower for about 18 years - on the chain, sheaves, etc , and it's still in good shape after a lot of very hard use on about 1.5 acres of grass and weeds on rough ground. Fluid Film has worked well on my JD seeder and 54mmm, too. Key to the seeder? Clean it well or it's going to rot out.

WD40 is OK for its designed purpose: Water Displacement. It collects dust, dirt and it makes things grimy. It's a lousy lube for friction points, but it does Displace Water. Hence the name -- WD40
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 03-22-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks

Shhh....

Well, don't tell anyone but we've just used burnt motor oil or used hydraulic fluid for that kind of thing for years. Yes, some small amount goes into the ground or evaporates but it's a VERY small amount. We just paint it on with an old paint brush so it's a relatively thin coat.

Nothing against Fluid Film, it's a great product and I use it other places. For just plain rust protection, the aerosol spray cans are a bit pricey for me. I guess you could get a gallon and it would be cheaper to use but we have the burnt oil anyway. . .

Treefarmer
    BigJim55, RetiredDoc and ky_shawn like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I used the new spreader for the first time yesterday to spread 1000 pounds of fertlliizer Like my tractor when it was delivered, the spreader needed some tweaking as parts were just not assembled quite right. And, the PTO shaft had been adjusted in length by someone with minimal skills with a saw, and was rusted together in its shortest position. It took chaining one end to a tree and the other to the tractor to break it free. I never could get it to slide freely, so finally went to TSC and bought another one.

As suggested, I cleaned the spreader thoroughly after use, let it dry in the sum, and coated with the only spray biodegradable oil I had, which was PAM brand canola oil. Then I stored the spreader and PTO shaft in a corner of my garage rather than the tractor shed.

BTW, did you know that canola oil was originally called "rapeseed oil?" And canola is a made up name used for marketing
    BigJim55 and keane like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks

Names

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    I used the new spreader for the first time yesterday to spread 1000 pounds of fertlliizer Like my tractor when it was delivered, the spreader needed some tweaking as parts were just not assembled quite right. And, the PTO shaft had been adjusted in length by someone with minimal skills with a saw, and was rusted together in its shortest position. It took chaining one end to a tree and the other to the tractor to break it free. I never could get it to slide freely, so finally went to TSC and bought another one.

As suggested, I cleaned the spreader thoroughly after use, let it dry in the sum, and coated with the only spray biodegradable oil I had, which was PAM brand canola oil. Then I stored the spreader and PTO shaft in a corner of my garage rather than the tractor shed.

BTW, did you know that canola oil was originally called "rapeseed oil?" And canola is a made up name used for marketing
    I guess "Rape Oil" on the shelves would have a limited market. Probably have to sell it covered in a paper bag. . .

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements