Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mjncad

Thread: Anchoring PVC pipes in ballast box

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-08-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks

Anchoring PVC pipes in ballast box

I know there are a bunch of threads talking about using PVC pipes in the ballast box to hold tools, chain, etc. I think that's a great idea and want to do that myself. I haven't found the answer to one question, however.

I've been debating using cement or other material for the ballast. Right or wrong, I've settled on using sand. Cement seems very permanent to me. If I use sand, I can always take it out if I ever need to do that for any reason. I don't do a lot of heavy lifting, so I think it will provide me with enough ballast. If I need heavier, I can always switch to the tiller or box blade with weights.

What I'm trying to figure out, is how to anchor the PVC pipes in the ballast box so they don't work themselves out and then I end up having to empty the sand just so I can put the pipes back in. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to go out in the garage and fumble around with it in the mean time. Thanks!
    Mike

1025R: H120 FEL with 53" bucket, 52" ratchet rake, Ken's bolt on hooks, iMatch, 647 tiller, BB2048L box blade, and ballast box.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mgates67 View Post
    I know there are a bunch of threads talking about using PVC pipes in the ballast box to hold tools, chain, etc. I think that's a great idea and want to do that myself. I haven't found the answer to one question, however.

I've been debating using cement or other material for the ballast. Right or wrong, I've settled on using sand. Cement seems very permanent to me. If I use sand, I can always take it out if I ever need to do that for any reason. I don't do a lot of heavy lifting, so I think it will provide me with enough ballast. If I need heavier, I can always switch to the tiller or box blade with weights.

What I'm trying to figure out, is how to anchor the PVC pipes in the ballast box so they don't work themselves out and then I end up having to empty the sand just so I can put the pipes back in. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to go out in the garage and fumble around with it in the mean time. Thanks!
    I agree on your point on not wanting to use concrete. I like the ability to empty it if I wanted to, dont see any reason to but I could if I wanted. I have crushed rock in mine. As far as weight, Im sure if you filled it with sand it would be heavier than the tiller or box blade..

I have 2 in mine.. Box is filled with crushed rock and when filling I just held the pipes in place on the rear corners and filled. Mine seem solid. Also, Id advise to keep it in where its dry if you use sand or anything other than concrete.. Mines always been inside and never been wet...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NEWT For This Useful Post:

mgates67 (09-26-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Why not use a threaded pipe flange like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380227033.184735.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	22129

Get a thread to slip for the pipe then thread the pipe onto it. This way the flange will have sand on top of and not pull out.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWT View Post
    As far as weight, Im sure if you filled it with sand it would be heavier than the tiller or box blade.
    Well, I stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking the tiller was heaver than that. I just looked it up and it's only about 300lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWT View Post
    Also, Id advise to keep it in where its dry if you use sand or anything other than concrete.. Mines always been inside and never been wet...
    Good point. I can't exactly drill drainage holes in the bottom when it's filled with sand, can I? Oh well, I melt if I'm out in the rain too long so I likely won't be working out in it much.

I ended up with four PVC pipes: two 3" and two 1.5". Why? I wanted the 3" for chain, and I had some scrap 1.5" laying around the shop and I'm frugal. Some might call me a heretic, but I didn't see the need to paint the PVC green. It's just to hold tools and that paint is somewhat expensive. I ended up with 450lbs of sand, so it should provide some good ballast. Plus, it's smaller than the box blade or tiller so working in tighter places will be easier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballast_box.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	22130
    Mike

1025R: H120 FEL with 53" bucket, 52" ratchet rake, Ken's bolt on hooks, iMatch, 647 tiller, BB2048L box blade, and ballast box.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Hi Mike,

I did a little thread on this topic some time ago:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ed-2520-a.html

My PVC tubes have never heaved. So I would think almost any fitting glued to the bottom would be a belt and suspenders, or even a bolt passed through a drilled hole near the bottom. And if I remember, I drilled holes at the bottom to be sure it stays dry.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

mgates67 (09-26-2013)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, I'm impatient so I threw it together. Besides, my neighbor stopped by while I was cutting the PVC and told me that he had done something similar to the ballast box for his 3032. His hadn't moved so he told me not to worry about it. Since I figured I could dump the sand out and start over if I needed to, I'd just throw them in and try it on for size. I've been out in the back 40 for the last hour or so and so far so good.

Thanks guys!
    Mike

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Looks good!! Maybe the ones you put the chain in, be careful the first few times to make sure the chain wont bind up getting pulled out and pull the pipe up..

Wonder if one could put a flange or something on the bottome of the PVC like felixm posted on the bottom then fill up.. Making a larger bottom size to lock the pipes down better..
    Last edited by NEWT; 09-26-2013 at 06:46 PM.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Electrical conduit surface mounting "C-clamps"? They can be bolted at each end to the side of a box. This looks like a project for me this winter!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Thanks
    Harold beat me to it with the conduit clamp suggestion.
    56FordGuy likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements