Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 60 Inch Load Quip Sifter Bucket

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks

60 Inch Load Quip Sifter Bucket

Load-Quip Rock Sifter Bucket Attachment — 60in. Bucket, 750-Lb. Capacity, Model# 29211716 | Skid-Steers Attachments| Northern Tool + Equipment

Anyone ever use one of these, be it on a skid steer or tractor? Did it get rocks up and sift soil easily? Was the process painfully slow or were you able to cover a decent amount of ground over time?

This is lightest rock type bucket I have found that is under $1k. I need something light because I want to mount it to a 2210. At 260lbs, it is still a load for a SCUT but... better than the buckets I have seen that weigh 400-600lbs.

I figure I can get some artillian mounting plates and get it welded on to this bucket and then use it. I have a need to pick up rocks on about a two acre lot before seeding. I have rocks everywhere. I am torn between maybe using this set up and renting a rock hound like another forum member suggested. My research on the rock hound says it only goes down about two inches. I have rocks below the surface as well as above so I am not sure if it will clean up all that I need cleaning up.

How much clean soil does one need in order to just plant grass seed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    eesh, that looks awful fine.. unless you're sifting rocks out of sand, i'd worry it'd get clogged to quick. have you looked at regular rock buckets? a quick search turned this up:

John Deere Compact Tractor Rock Bucket 54" | Redline Systems Inc - Equipment Attachments - Custom Fabrication - Hutchinson, MN

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, the JD one I looked at said it wasn't for SCUTs FWIW. Yes, that's a fine screen but I have rocks of all sizes so...the smallest spacing found on a regular rock bucket was 2 inches but then the bucket was too heavy our out of my price range.

The bucket on the link looks promising. I wonder what it weighs. The 3 inch spacing is a concern (or maybe I am worried about nothing).
    Last edited by 69project; 03-24-2017 at 06:17 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    69project, I've always used a landscape rake, they will dig down 2" with ease. I drag the rocks around until there is no more dirt with them. When all the rocks are in a pile I use the FEL and scoop them up.
    Seems to me you would probably need a rake after you're done with the sifter bucket anyway.
    If I had a pile of rocky dirt maybe I'd consider one of these, for a few seconds.
    etcallhome, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    I'm with Gizmo, my FIL has a 4'x4' piece of heavy 3/8" screen mounted to 2"x2" . When our church would put candles out at Christmas we would save the sand from one year to another . We found pieces of candle in the sand so he came up with the idea to sift the sand. Works great for sand so thinking it would work for your project , may be a slower process than just racking . Guess it depends on how much you're planning on doing and your health.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    69project, I've always used a landscape rake, they will dig down 2" with ease. I drag the rocks around until there is no more dirt with them. When all the rocks are in a pile I use the FEL and scoop them up.
    Seems to me you would probably need a rake after you're done with the sifter bucket anyway.
    If I had a pile of rocky dirt maybe I'd consider one of these, for a few seconds.
    I have used my landscape rake to no avail so I am exploring alternative methods. I rake rocks like crazy but there is an endless supply of them.

What I have done is rake rocks/debris on the surface (and what the rake drags up) then I scoop up the windrows of debris. That leaves it looking rock free but if I go till the soil or if it rains, I have a fresh crop of rocks. My soil is nothing but clay/rocks and super acidic so I have been adding some chicken litter and lime to help it out (advice from the dirt person at Southern States based on our soil analysis).

When my septic guy installed our drain field I was hoping that the rocks were not that deep, he went 3-4 feet when he put in the drain lines and it never became just soil. Rocks all the way through it.

I have section that is nicely tilled and would be ready to plant seed minus the bazillon rocks in it. They range from 1/2 inch to 6-8 inches. Handpicking them up would take up the rest of my life and I am not even 50 yet!
    Gizmo2, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Load-Quip Rock Sifter Bucket Attachment — 60in. Bucket, 750-Lb. Capacity, Model# 29211716 | Skid-Steers Attachments| Northern Tool + Equipment

Anyone ever use one of these, be it on a skid steer or tractor? Did it get rocks up and sift soil easily? Was the process painfully slow or were you able to cover a decent amount of ground over time?

This is lightest rock type bucket I have found that is under $1k. I need something light because I want to mount it to a 2210. At 260lbs, it is still a load for a SCUT but... better than the buckets I have seen that weigh 400-600lbs.

I figure I can get some artillian mounting plates and get it welded on to this bucket and then use it. I have a need to pick up rocks on about a two acre lot before seeding. I have rocks everywhere. I am torn between maybe using this set up and renting a rock hound like another forum member suggested. My research on the rock hound says it only goes down about two inches. I have rocks below the surface as well as above so I am not sure if it will clean up all that I need cleaning up.

How much clean soil does one need in order to just plant grass seed?
    if a fella could change out that screen to say a bit bigger holes in it. i think it would do the trick to start with. the problem with Northern tool is their high shipping rate's.

i have too been looking for a way to get rid of my rock piles i have here. when the ice age was happening, and the glacier was carving out this hollow, where i live, i think it just left all the rocks in this little space

i want to build a dirt shaking screensmall enough that i can pick it up and move around easily, someday-maybe.

the problem i see with a rock bucket mounted on my loader, is u got to shake the living heck out of it to get the dirt to go thru it. i think-maybe not. never seen one work in person. good luck. keep us posted on ur project-ok.
    Kennyd and 69project like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    When my septic guy installed our drain field I was hoping that the rocks were not that deep, he went 3-4 feet when he put in the drain lines and it never became just soil. Rocks all the way through it.

I have section that is nicely tilled and would be ready to plant seed minus the bazillon rocks in it. They range from 1/2 inch to 6-8 inches. Handpicking them up would take up the rest of my life and I am not even 50 yet!
    I'd give it a skim raking and sow the grass seed. Most smaller rocks/stone will push right in while mowing.
    We have similar ground here as you describe, rocks/stone forever.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    If it's that rocky, removing them may be a futile effort. Could you get a lawn/ field roller and push them back down into the ground?
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    I know times have changed.....but back in the day that's what us kids were for. If you even looked bored, let alone say it, you were sent to pick rocks in the field.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast