Driveway Leveling - Land Plane???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Driveway Leveling - Land Plane???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Driveway Leveling - Land Plane???

I know there are a lot of differing conditions, and a lot of different opinions on what to use for driveway maintenance.

I think for my needs (after reading and research) what I need is a LPGB "land plane grader blade" as opposed to a box blade. I have about 500 ft of rocky packed level roadway with a thin layer of what we call "base course" on top - made by crushing a hard granite type lava - known as "blue rock" and fairly expensive when delivered. It is used under all the roads here, with plenty of fines and smaller gravel type rock. I eventually hope to have a 3-4 inch layer of 1/4" minus base course on top of the much "gnarlier" mix of the old packed 1 1/2", 6", and even larger rock underneath.

From what I can gather, for just maintaining a top layer such as I have planed, a Land Plane would be easier and do a quicker cleaner job than a box blade, and certainly better than back dragging with my FEL - as I do now. A box blade will just bounce off the larger rock "under base" - so really of no use for major road work at all. I previously used a DR Power Grader pulled behind my utility vehicle. But when it hit a bigger rock it was trouble. However the idea worked pretty well when confronted with strictly loose material. But now I have a tractor.

So, if you agree - do you have any recommendations for an implement that will fit/work on my 1025r TLB for my needs??? Maybe something that can use blocks for weight - as shipping a heavy piece of equipment here to Hawaii can be expensive. I do have a JD dealer here, who brings in stuff in large containers, but to ship individual pieces personally can sometimes cost almost as much as the piece of equipment itself.
    Last edited by konakid; 03-25-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    I do not believe there is any "magic" for larger rocks buried under smaller material.

My LP weighs over a half ton,,, if I hit a rock the size of a football,, the LP simply flies in the air.

I have seen these same rocks hit by a 953 CAT,,, the rocks never move.

removing the problem rock is the only answer.
    Foggy Bottom likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Agree with the post above... need to remove the problem rocks.

A land plane is certainly a good option for what you need to do (better than a box blade). I would highly recommend an Everything Attachments land plane. I really like the quality of my EA box blade and so far, nothing compares to it and their land plane is just as solid, so you can't go wrong. A 60" should work well on the 1-series.

https://www.everythingattachments.co...veler-ws-2.htm
    Last edited by Green Man; 03-25-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Do you still have the DR Power Grader? If so, pull it behind your tractor! As much as I would like a land plane, if I already had a bought-and-paid-for Power Grader, I'd be hard pressed to buy the land plane if the PG did an acceptable job. As much as I like to buy "cool toys" (and i've bought more than my fair share of "cool toys" - even just in the last 2 weeks!), I'm still pretty frugal when it comes to spending money I don't necessarily HAVE to.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks
    Land Grader - Tarter Farm & Ranch

Tractor Supply or Southern States carries it. The price there is right at $1k. It weighs 476lbs and is a CAT 1 and quick hitch compatible. I am saving my pennies for this one. I have a tarter landscape rake and it's built right so I like this company. A land scape rake might as good of a solution for you and will be cheaper than a land plane.

Tarter doesn't have any dealers in Hawaii unfortunately but I am sure you are used to this type of challenge.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-22-2019 @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    I did alot of researching and looking at availability. I have lots of dealers local with 6 different brands atleast(they could also order various brands), and decided to go with a grading scraper(same thing as land plane, just heavier with scarifiers. After talking to dealerships and researching on line, I ended up purchasing a Cabela's 60" grading scraper that is made by Woods. Actually shipped directly from Woods painted for Cabelas. I found out alot of companys rebrand Woods equipment. Good brand, solid reputation, and good parts availability. It was cheaper for me to purchase online and have curb side delivery then purchasing through a dealer unless I went with a Chinese brand. Since Cabelas just recently got purchased by Bass Pro I notice they no longer sell tractors or equipment online but still highly recommend the Woods.

I live down a 1 mile driveway with about 15 residents. This thing is night and day easier and faster then a box blade. It only cuts half inch at a time and depends on how hard ground is but works awsome. Only way to go. We do have a good foundation though and plenty on top. I wouldn't go any larger then a 60". My hydraulics on my 1025r struggle to lift it. Only brings up about 3/4s of the way up.

Here is a picture of mine and a before and after. The up close picture is after I modified my skids with thicker hardened chromium steel for better wear. Hope this helps or points you in direction. There's also YouTube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-03-25 21.54.48.jpg   2017-03-25 21.56.10.jpg   PhotoGrid_1490505309988.jpg  
    2015 John Deere 1025R
    H120 Front End Loader
    54D Mid Mount Mower
    Frontier 48" Box Blade
    Woods 60" Grading Scraper
    Homemade Heavy Hitch
    Polar HD 1500 TA Cart

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    Konakid:

What are the chances of finding someone to fabricate a land-plane for you? It might be cheaper than buying one and having it shipped to the middle of the Pacific Ocean as there isn't much to them.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 250' of gravel driveway and I use a ratchet rake on the loader and 1060L 60" blade on the back, does the job just fine. I like the RR as I can rip out brush as well.
    Jeff B

2210, FEL, 54" MMM, 1060L Back Blade, Titan Forks, Edge Tamers, 47" Blower Ratchet Rake .. too many other tools to mention.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Do you still have the DR Power Grader? If so, pull it behind your tractor! As much as I would like a land plane, if I already had a bought-and-paid-for Power Grader, I'd be hard pressed to buy the land plane if the PG did an acceptable job. As much as I like to buy "cool toys" (and i've bought more than my fair share of "cool toys" - even just in the last 2 weeks!), I'm still pretty frugal when it comes to spending money I don't necessarily HAVE to.
    This is the first thought for me as well.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This is the first thought for me as well.
    Well, Stan, you know what they say about great minds!!!
    coaltrain likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast