• 4 Post By JimR
  • 6 Post By jgayman

Thread: attaching implements

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks

attaching implements

so i have a hf quick hitch and also the adapter bracket for non quick hitch compatible attachments. the adapter bracket looks as if it would make it a floating type top setup with attachments hooked to it? is this the case?

i have a rotary cutter,scrape blade and disc harrow
    can anyone tell me what type set up float and none float attachments are used on all attachments,
    new to this.growing up i just used whatever my grandfather had hooked up to his tractor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moweec View Post
    so i have a hf quick hitch and also the adapter bracket for non quick hitch compatible attachments. the adapter bracket looks as if it would make it a floating type top setup with attachments hooked to it? is this the case?
    No. That isn't the purpose. The adapter is meant to be used on attachments where the 3pt connection isn't the exact size to match up to the Quick Hitch. While it does introduce some slop, I wouldn't call it "float".

But you should understand that a 3pt connection usually doesn't have any down-pressure so it is normally in "float" mode to begin with.

i have a rotary cutter,scrape blade and disc harrow
    can anyone tell me what type set up float and none float attachments are used on all attachments,
    Very few 3pt attachments are meant to operate in a float mode (other than what the tractor already provides). If a specific attachment is intended to be used that way, it will have it's own setup for doing that. They don't rely on you having a Quick Hitch or the adapter for it.

I can only recall seeing one attachment that was meant to be used in a full float mode and that was a 3pt sweeper built by York. Most attachments have a rigid 3 point A-frame to connect to the tractor. But their's used a rigid connection for the two bottom pins and then a chain to connect to to top point. With that flexible chain, the sweeper could use the 2 bottom pins as a pivot and bounce up and down over things when used on an irregular surface. I've heard that some bush hogs used the same type of design but never actually seen one of those myself.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    No. That isn't the purpose. The adapter is meant to be used on attachments where the 3pt connection isn't the exact size to match up to the Quick Hitch. While it does introduce some slop, I wouldn't call it "float".
    Actually, I believe that adapter yoke can be used to provide a floating top link. In some cases you may need to remove the top hook on the Quick Hitch to allow more movement.

But you should understand that a 3pt connection usually doesn't have any down-pressure so it is normally in "float" mode to begin with.
    The floating function is normally required with things like rear finish mowers. They ride along the ground on four wheels and while the 3PH can move up and down, if your top-link is fastened to a non-moving part on the mower, when the tractor goes over a hump or through a dip in the ground it can cause the mower to lift off the ground or bind. That is why you usually see the top-link on a rear finish mower secured with a chain instead of a rigid support. If using a Quick Hitch you can provide for some floating or pivoting by using an adapter yoke instead of having the implement riding in the hook.

My Land Pride quick hitch came with a floating adapter. As you can see, it provides basically the same function as the "Yoke". And, it too can be used to adapt an implement that is not Quick Hitch compatible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandPride_float.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	336410

Below is how a lot of finish mowers are attached so they can move up and down on the top link.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mower_float.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	336418

With a finish mower you are just towing it along the ground by the 3PH draft arms and the only thing the top-link connection provides is a way to lift it off the ground for transport.
    Last edited by jgayman; 03-28-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, spferdil and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements