• 1 Post By DC712001

Thread: Hyd Cat 1 Top Link, Need advice on Fittings, Hoses

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-28-2019 @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks

Hyd Cat 1 Top Link, Need advice on Fittings, Hoses

JD790.

Hello: Need some experienced advice. I just bought a Cat 1 hydraulic top link from Agri Supply.

Now I need to make up the hose and fitting connections. This is my first add on hydraulic cylinder.

I have the remote rear mounted tractor hoses with quick disconnect fittings at the rear of the tractor (see photo).

So, I need two hoses and fittings to attach to the new cylinder. Something like in the photo of the cylinder below.

Guessing I should be able to go to my local Tractor Supply store, but what size hoses do I likely need?

How long, 3-feet or 4-foot long?

1/4 or 3/8" hoses?

Have seen 90-degree fittings used at the cylinder connections.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3431.JPG   IMG_0747.JPG   IMG_3040.JPG  
    keane likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    A couple of ways I would consider doing this. Measure out exactly how much hose you need and what fittings and then go to either a Parker Hydraulic store or local NAPA and get the hoses made or you can just bring the whole tractor etc to those places and let them have at it, that way you don't need to measure and hope you got it right. If you do that, I recommend the Parker Hydraulic shop.

You can also contact Fit Rite Hydraulics, they are a supporting vendor on here. Not sure how fast he could make them up for you as he usually has a backlog and is a small business but it's worth a shot since he is very familiar with hydraulic top links etc.

I doubt Tractor Supply has the ready made hoses in the length and fittings you need. I have never had much luck at TSC when it comes to hydraulic parts.
    keane and Drifterbike like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Those hoses look long enough. If so, you will just need the male quick connect fittings. Place the cylinder where it will be used and check the hoses to make sure they are long enough. Be aware that the length varies according to whether the top link is up or down. Place the cylinder base closest to the tractor so that the ram will be the only part that extends. If they are not long enough, then you will have to replace the hoses also. Take the cylinder and hoses into your local auto supply store where they can see what you have and they can make you hoses or add the QC fittings. Measure across the fittings on your tractor to get an idea what size they are so you can advise them. Make sure they are agreeable to bring them back if they are not the correct size. I believe they may be 1 inch pioneer fittings but I am no expert on these.

Here is a pic of my hyd top link with the max length needed.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0247.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	336650
    keane and Drifterbike like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies and advice. Good things to consider.

When I look online, Tractor Supply shows made up hoses and my local store is around 15-miles away. There is a NAPA a couple miles away.

There is a Parker Hydraulics shop around 8-miles away. Was thinking they might be on the expensive side, particularly for my light, infrequent usage (just my smallish property).

What I would like to get to, is a hose setup similar to the one in the cylinder picture from my original post. My cylinder has no hoses or fittings yet.
    Drifterbike likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Napa should be able to fix you up.

Dave
    Drifterbike likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave.

I live in what was once (35 years ago) a rural agricultural area that has since evolved into a suburban community.

I am hoping that NAPA can help, but my local stores don't deal much in tractor-related items.
    Drifterbike likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements