• 1 Post By 69project
  • 1 Post By jj9ball

Thread: Tiller compatibility between 2 totally different tractors

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks

Tiller compatibility between 2 totally different tractors

I really need a till now and at the end of the year and nowhere in between. I can't really justify the $2500 or so for 2 times a year worth of use. My Father in Law has a Kubota L4060 with a 72 inch landpride tiller. I caught him in a good mood the other day and he agreed to let me use his tiller for my 2 times a year worth of tilling. I have a 4044R that is nearly identical to his tractor in horsepower and very similar in size. So I know my tractor can handle the tiller just fine, but here is my question. He had the pto shaft cut and fitted to his tractor at the dealer. What are the chances it will be close enough to work on mine for the couple times per year that I use it? If it is off what can I do to fix it so that it will work for the limited amount of time I am using it? Also, I know this sounds dumb but I am new, how can I tell if it fits okay? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    There is a good possibility that it will work just fine with your machine. But you can measure how long the shaft is when it's mounted on his machine and how much overlap there is in the shaft (i.e. the max length it will extend to) and compare that to what is needed for your machine.

Here's a good video on the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBFJcvs5SE

If you aren't comfy with it or it turns out his is to short for you machine, you can always go buy another shaft and fit it to your machine. $100 is better than $2500.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Of course big issue is making sure it's not too long, that will break your tractor. Other issue is you could be a bit short and not have enough overlap. If you are a bit short you can pickup an extender for not much.

SpeeCo PTO Extender - For Life Out Here
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    holy cow... I got it to work. One thing I would mention. It seems like lots of people talk about the downforce option like it doesnt matter or its not worth it. I was in that camp until I used the tiller today. I was digging in about six inches and then I hit the downforce button...and bam... I saw the tiller push down another couple inches. I even took a pass with and without downforce and there was a HUGE difference. We have very hard clay and the downforce kept the tiller from skipping and just worked awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170408_174855_1491704028907.jpg   20170408_171748_1491704064579.jpg  

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jj9ball View Post
    holy cow... I got it to work. One thing I would mention. It seems like lots of people talk about the downforce option like it doesnt matter or its not worth it. I was in that camp until I used the tiller today. I was digging in about six inches and then I hit the downforce button...and bam... I saw the tiller push down another couple inches. I even took a pass with and without downforce and there was a HUGE difference. We have very hard clay and the downforce kept the tiller from skipping and just worked awesome.
    That is quite the tractor to use for a garden patch
    etcallhome likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jj9ball View Post
    That is quite the tractor to use for a garden patch
    I know it seems like overkill but there are 3 of those gardens, a country road to grade, a 300 foot driveway to clear in the winter, 5 acres to mow, and lots of odds and ends that pop up... plus middle aged guys need toys too
    Herminator likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements