Green Tractor Talk banner

Finally, a chance to try the "Snow Edge"

7K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A fast moving storm dumped about 6 inches of snow on us last night into this morning, and so I finally had an opportunity to use the Snow Edge on my 1026R.
Well designed and easy to mount and un-mount, I was very pleased with the way the attachment allowed me to clear all five driveways in only a couple of hours. It certainly protected the paved driveways and the two (new) concrete ones. The beveled edge helped guide the snow into the bucket, and dumping was no problem. After the sun was out an hour or so, the snow did get a bit heavy so I stopped a couple of times and cleaned it out. I know there are a lot of other solutions and less expensive ones for those with more advanced mechanical skills, but I feel the purchase was well money well spent. What I really need now is a better pair of boots! It was unusually cold for NJ (15 degrees) this morning, and even with two pairs of socks my Duck boots were not doing the job. Any suggestions from you northern guys?

My camera girl was a little chilly too but I told her everyone would like to see the attachment "live".

Snow Edge Test - YouTube

#2 ·
You're probably a popular guy with your neighbors now!!:thumbup1gif:

#4 ·
Thanks MrZeeno.
Boots? When its really cold I'll wear my snowmobile boots. This morning it was 9 here and I wore my barn muck boots while snow plowing, about 3 hours. I always figure the reason they keep my feet from freezing is because they are so high up on the calves and my legs help keep the boots warmer.

#5 ·
+1 on muck boots and smartwool over the calf boot socks. Toasty down to 5F. The wool socks make all the difference. When it gets cold i switch to the 0 degree hunting boots. Can I ask what you had on your legs? Flannel or fleece lined jeans? Insulated bibs? It's all about layers, and don't make them too tight either.

Reactions: keviny
#10 ·
Boots

I had plenty of layers and was toasty warm except for my feet. I was wearing OTC boot socks, too. The duck boots are waterproof and insulated, but not enough for the cold and wind chill we had today.

#6 ·
Bunny Boots! The white ones, not black. :usa

#7 ·
#11 ·
Thanks, Kenny. These look great. There's a TSC a couple of miles away and I'll go check them out straightaway. Only wondering about the stiffness of the ankle/calf portion of the boot.

#8 ·
Come on you guys, you don't want to tell me that you are freezing when it is still +1º warm? When it is getting cooler around here, lets say -10 or -15º, I put warm boots on (those snow boot type things, Sorrel type boots are to heavy for me). But I wear woolen socks all winter long. Cotton in summer wool in winter!

#22 ·
Oh my, what did I start here?

I was just asking about BOOTS and you guys are cracking me up with these comments about cars, and tree huggers.
Hilarious!

Reactions: Skyboss1952
#24 ·
I was just asking about BOOTS and you guys are cracking me up with these comments about cars, and tree huggers.
Hilarious!
Kennyd gets off topic a lot! :lol:
I did it JUST ONCE and got yelled at.:munch:

Reactions: dieselshadow
#23 ·
In my youth I bought a pair of issue MM boots and since they were used @ $3.50 from Kauffman's Military Surplus I could afford to toss 'em. Can one actually run a 102X with real Micky Mouse boots on? You can feel the pedals and have room for both of 'em? You can feel the diff-lock with your heel? I couldn't even ice fish right with those things on!:laugh:

#27 ·
We have topic police, just like profile police. Only difference is the topic police work under cover and don't carry a badge. They are so secret that even they don't know who the chief is.

#28 ·
Some little birdy told me just now:
Though who made Keith head of the Profile Police, and assigned him his badge could make you the Posting Police

Reactions: DRobinson
#29 ·
Regarding the boots..

I was wondering about what to do too since I have to be outside in the cold when clearing snow. I'm also a fan of the show Ice Road Truckers.

While watching IRT I noticed that all the guys wear a boot brand called Baffin. It wasn't advertised on the show, I just saw the guys on there wearing it. I figured that if it was good enough to wear working outdoors above the Arctic Circle, then it would be good enough for me too.

Well I got a pair and HOLY CRAP they are super warm. And also very comfortable. I drove 5 hours wearing them.
Amazon.com: Baffin Men's Crossfire Snow Boot,Black,13 M US: Shoes

There are other boots by this brand too and they are all "arctic tested".

#30 ·
Baffin, Sorrel, Bunny boots

The three most common snow boots we see up this far North are the Baffin (made in Canada?), Sorrel and the good old military bunny boots that Skyboss mentioned. I invested $$$$ in a set of White's Snowcat boots a couple years ago when I was driving fuel trucks North. They were warm but very stiff and heavy. If you walked very long your legs ached. Sorrels seem to be a nice happy medium. I always get extra liners though. When ya take off your boots pull those liners and let them dry out. That and wool socks and your golden.

So... When a smurf is freezing in the snow. What color does he turn? Same with when he holds his breath?
These are the kind of thoughts that keep me out of the really neat social circles and ..... ummmmm here.

#31 ·
\

So... When a smurf is freezing in the snow. What color does he turn? Same with when he holds his breath?
These are the kind of thoughts that keep me out of the really neat social circles and ..... ummmmm here.
Well, a brother under the scalp! Deep thought has it's sacrifices, I also remain alone as I quest for true knowledge.:laugh:

#34 ·
When I tried to look at your video it said that it was private and thus would not play it. Is this on purpose or is there some setting?

#35 ·
It played before so he must have changed the access to it or deleted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.