self powered 3pt mower

Thread: self powered 3pt mower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks

self powered 3pt mower

I picked up a tow behind offset Swisher mower last year and while it works ok but doesn't track well in the corners and turnarounds. I was thinking it would work better if it was solidly mounted to the rear of the tractor on the 3pt vs being towed. It would require building 3pt hitch mounts and changing the rear wheels to castors as well.

Anyone ever seen a commercially built self powered mower on a 3pt hitch or built one?

I also contemplated putting it out front where I can see it better. It would have to mount on the bucket attachment though and I wasn't sure if the loader arms would take the repeated side loading from turning and I don't think the loader hydraulics have a float setting to it.

Any thoughts/comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    I pull mine from the 3 pt and it tracks well. I had to drill a new hole in the offset shaft as the stock holes either didn't offset it enough which wasted available cut width or offset it to much causing it not to track well.

With it pulled from the 3 pt I am almost able to get it to turn right back on itself. It takes practice.

1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,143 Times in 2,585 Posts
    May by I am missing the point here, but why would you want a self powered 3PH mower, I understand the offset pull behind ones like pictured above, but why go through the trouble of adding hitch brackets and changing wheels when there is a perfectly good power source readily available (the PTO) and you wouldn't have a gas engine running making noise and burning fuel.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny, I assume the OP has what I pictured, continues to want it offset but wants a rigid mount so that it tracks better behind the tractor.

The issue, if you don't have it aligned properly, offset too much, when going around a corner the pulled mower will track outside the swath of the mmm leaving an uncut row of grass.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    That pretty much sums it up. I want it rigidly mounted so that its closer to the tractor and will better track thru corners and backing up. The tractor to start with will be a 2305 with a 60" side discharge belly mower, hoping to upgrade to a 2032 with a 72" down the road.

My thought was to maybe even add a 2nd tow behind as well, one offset to the left and another to the right. Yes I have a lot of area to mow, I do it as a 2nd job for rural industrial sites. Though it would be cool if they could slide in and out(towards the center) some how. This would make it fit on a trailer easier and give more overlap when the grass gets really thick and high. That might be getting too complicated though......

I think I'll just start with one solidly mounted and see how it goes. If I want a 2nd deck I'll need a way for it to flip up to make the whole thing fit on a trailer. Then I have to consider the fuel and oil running out from being on its side........

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    One concern with solidly mounting it would be counterweight when you lift it with the 3pt. That is quite a bit of weight hanging of to the side.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks

self powered 3pt mower

Quote Originally Posted by clayh View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. I want it rigidly mounted so that its closer to the tractor and will better track thru corners and backing up. The tractor to start with will be a 2305 with a 60" side discharge belly mower, hoping to upgrade to a 2032 with a 72" down the road.

My thought was to maybe even add a 2nd tow behind as well, one offset to the left and another to the right. Yes I have a lot of area to mow, I do it as a 2nd job for rural industrial sites. Though it would be cool if they could slide in and out(towards the center) some how. This would make it fit on a trailer easier and give more overlap when the grass gets really thick and high. That might be getting too complicated though......

I think I'll just start with one solidly mounted and see how it goes. If I want a 2nd deck I'll need a way for it to flip up to make the whole thing fit on a trailer. Then I have to consider the fuel and oil running out from being on its side........
    I think that the 2nd one offset to the left would not be that difficult of a build. I would just weld the 2nd to the first one to make a single unit. Just make sure to give it some hinges so that each one can follow the contour of the ground so as not to scalp. The hinges could be two pins that can be removed in order to quickly disassemble so that you can load on your trailer. Just think of a large three blade "batwing" type shredder, just with the center being empty and cut by your tractor.

Psrumors, could you get some video of you mowing an making turns with your setup this spring? I bet you can sure cover some ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Milharri; 02-27-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    Psrumors, could you get some video of you mowing an making turns with your setup this spring? I bet you can sure cover some ground.
    I'll see what I can do. I get about a 9' 6" swath per pass. Makes quick work of our 5 acres.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements