Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Snow Blower Weirdness!!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-24-2015 @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks

Snow Blower Weirdness!!

Just finished the install of the 54" Snow Blower on the 1025R. Ther are a couple weird things that I noticed.

#1-The impeller in the back of the blower is plastic. Yikes! The 47" blower I had on my 445 was steel. The drum around the impeller on my 47" had major grooves cut into it from stones (stone driveway) getting caught between the impeller and the drum. It wore the steel drum very thin in some spots. I figured that JD decided to go to a plastic impeller so stones etc. would sacrifice the impeller edges instead of the drum. The impeller can be replaced and the drum can't. I hope it's good plastic because even the edges of the steel impeller on my old one had the edges all gashed up from stones.

#2- It only came with one drift piece that bolts to the end of the blower. Even the instructions say that on the 1023 and 1026 that you only install one drift piece and you put it on the right side. What is the reasoning for only one and then only on the right side?

#3- I installed the cable as per the instructions for the blower chute and then connected the hyd lines as per color. I fired it up and I assumed that if I push the joy stick to the right, the chute would go to the right and left would go left, but it is the opposite. The joystick goes to the right and the chute turns to the left and vise versa. My son said, lets just switch the two hyd lines, so we switched black to yellow and yellow to black, then it would go to the left only and nothing else. That seemed so weird. I can get used to it, but it just seems odd that it would be that way. For you guys with blowers, does your joystick go one way and the chute the other?

If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know!

Also jumped the red and orange wires on the PTO switch, so I did not install the sensor on the blower. That way it will solve the issue for the blower and the mower this spring.

They are calling for 6-9 inchs of snow tonight, so I am hoping to try our this snow blowing monster soon!! Thanks Guys!!
    Last edited by 1025RGardner; 03-01-2014 at 09:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    04-22-2018 @ 03:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1025RGardner View Post
    Just finished the install of the 54" Snow Blower on the 1025R. Ther are a couple weird things that I noticed.

#1-The impeller in the back of the blower is plastic. Yikes! The 47" blower I had on my 445 was steel. The drum around the impeller on my 47" had major grooves cut into it from stones (stone driveway) getting caught between the impeller and the drum. It wore the steel drum very thin in some spots. I figured that JD decided to go to a plastic impeller so stones etc. would sacrifice the impeller edges instead of the drum. The impeller can be replaced and the drum can't. I hope it's good plastic because even the edges of the steel impeller on my old one had the edges all gashed up from stones.

#2- It only came with one drift piece that bolts to the end of the blower. Even the instructions say that on the 1023 and 1026 that you only install one drift piece and you put it on the right side. What is the reasoning for only one and then only on the right side?

#3- I installed the cable as per the instructions for the blower chute and then connected the hyd lines as per color. I fired it up and I assumed that if I push the joy stick to the right, the chute would go to the right and left would go left, but it is the opposite. The joystick goes to the right and the chute turns to the left and vise versa. My son said, lets just switch the two hyd lines, so we switched black to yellow and yellow to black, then it would go to the left only and nothing else. That seemed so weird. I can get used to it, but it just seems odd that it would be that way. For you guys with blowers, does your joystick go one way and the chute the other?

If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know!

Also jumped the red and orange wires on the PTO switch, so I did not install the sensor on the blower. That way it will solve the issue for the blower and the mower this spring.

They are calling for 6-9 inchs of snow tonight, so I am hoping to try our this snow blowing monster soon!! Thanks Guys!!
    I can help with #1 and #3.

Yes......the impeller is plastic. Don't worry about it..........you shouldn't have any issues. As far as the joystick............if you move it too far right.......it goes in "regen" mode and won't turn your chute. Be gentle and move it only about halfway and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Bob

2011 JD 2320, 200CX FEL, 62D MMM, Artillian Pallet Forks, 54" Front Mount Snowblower, Curtis Hard Side Cab, Ballast Box, HF Quick Hitch, 40 Gallon Fimco 3PTH Sprayer,

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts
    #1: This was a huge deal when they first came out that way a few years ago, but I've read of no reported failures here or on TBN. I am sure if they where breaking, we'd be hearing about it.

#2: Why does it only come with one drift cutter now? To save money, JD that is-not you! You can purchase another one and add it to the left side, the holes are already there.

#3: Yup, regen as sterling mentioned, read more here if you'd like: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-here-%3B.html
    Just move the dust caps on the blower side so the colors match up, no biggie.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    Good morning Gardner,

Regarding #3, the hydraulics should be set up so the direction you move the joystick is the direction the spout moves including up and down. Does raising and lowering the blower work correctly? I know on our 54 snowblower and 2520 none of the colors between the blower and the tractor match. I am not sure if the helps you but this is how ours meet.

Tractor black (1) - Snowblower yellow
    Tractor yellow (2) - Snowblower grey
    Tractor red (3) - Snowblower black
    Tractor blue (4) - Snowblower green

Maybe this info might help.

Best of luck,
    Doug
    Last edited by lost in wisconsin; 03-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    sterling40man, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    2011 JD 2520, 200CX FEL, iMatch Quick Hitch, 48" JD Box Scraper, 54" JD FM Snowblower, Artillian 36" Forks w/Backrest, Frontier PHD200, Woods RM59 Finish Mower & Heavy Hitch

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Once again you guys came up w/ something I never really thought about....joystick to right, chute to right, ect. So either it is set up correctly or...Now I am going to have to remember to check this function out tomorrow or monday AM when I do the driveway yet again...Unless the suspense starts to get to me then I will trot out to the shed after coffee and try it out....
    Levi likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling40man View Post
    I can help with #1 and #3.

Yes......the impeller is plastic. Don't worry about it..........you shouldn't have any issues. As far as the joystick............if you move it too far right.......it goes in "regen" mode and won't turn your chute. Be gentle and move it only about halfway and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Thank God for you!! I never would have figured that out. It made perfect sense after I read the link you listed. I switched the 2 hyd. hoses for the chute again and it works perfect now as long as I don't force it all the way to the right. So now, right is right and left is left. With the tractor shut off, I moved the joystick to the right and it feels real smooth and then when you get about 3/4 of the way, I could actually feel it move something inside the valve, which must be the Regen part.. I don't now what I'd do without this website. It has solved every single little glitch or question I have had.
    Gizmo2, sterling40man and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts

#1-The impeller in the back of the blower is plastic. Yikes! The 47" blower I had on my 445 was steel.
    #2- It only came with one drift piece that bolts to the end of the blower.
    #3- I installed the cable as per the instructions for the blower chute and then connected the hyd lines as per color. I fired it up and I assumed that if I push the joy stick to the right, the chute would go to the right and left would go left, but it is the opposite. The joystick goes to the right and the chute turns to the left and vise versa.
    1. I have not heard any reports of failures of the plastic impeller but I was not impressed with the performance of mine as compared to my 15-year old MTD 33" 13HP walk-behind blower. This past summer I swapped out my plastic impeller and installed the metal impeller like that used on the 47 inch blower. It blows snow much better now. I clean 5 driveways in the neighborhood. Three of them are gravel and two are paved.

2. My 54" came with two drift bars. My understanding is the 47-inch is supposed to come with one and the 54-inch with two. I have no idea what the logic is of one drift cutter.

3. Logic dictates that moving the joystick to the right should move the chute to the right. Below is a photo showing how the 54" blower hose colors match up to my loader ports.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A70D8801.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	25653

Did you get the remote spout control for your blower? I cannot imagine using the blower without it.

One thing that bothers me about the 54" blower is that it appears like the front gear box cannot be repaired. The 47-inch shows a complete breakdown of parts available for the gearbox whereas the 54-inch shows just one part which is the complete gearbox assy for $900. Has anyone seen anyplace that shows individual parts available?
    Last edited by jgayman; 03-01-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    sterling40man likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks
    I have 2 drift cutters on my 54" blower. Could be my dealer just adds the second one.

The plastic impeller seems fine. My Ariens 1336 pro does throw snow noticeably farther than the Deere. The Deere works much better over all.

The hoses for the shoot my need to be swapped.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    jgayman, Is the remote spout control a JD option or who makes it?

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    jgayman, Is the remote spout control a JD option or who makes it?
    It is a JD option. It must be a big secret because they rarely offer it to new snow blower buyers. I originally learned about it from these forums and then had to ask for it when I bought the blower.

There is a specific kit for different tractors. The basic assy is the same but it will come with a different handle bracket depending on the model of tractor. My 2720 uses a bracket that attaches to the floor board whereas I believe some of the 1-series attaches to side of the console somewhere.

If I recall the kit was around $140. Pricey but well worth it.

Below are some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB2E2294.jpg   AB2E2301.jpg   AB2E2302.jpg   AB2E2304.jpg  
    farmgirl19 likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (03-01-2014)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast