Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Got RU$T?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

Got RU$T?

Some pix of my stabilizer piston after being tented over with brand new quality tarp this winter. Plenty of ventilation and no direct rain/snow could get on it or the other side. One side rusted, other did not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rust 3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	26345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rust 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	26346

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rust 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	26347

I guess that FEL nitride coated piston business is too good to use on BH pistons also? Absolutely should not happen to any hydraulic piston in this price range! Harbor Freight maybe, John Deere never! I think they have some foreign outsourcing quality control problems.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    It looks like bad chrome plating. I'd ask the dealer to replace the piston rod under warranty.

Frank
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    That sucks and you may be able to get the dealer to pay for it but if not and you just want to clean up the rust I hear aluminum foil and water does a good job. Ball up the foil and spritz with the water and rub on rust.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    It looks like bad chrome plating. I'd ask the dealer to replace the piston rod under warranty.

Frank
    There'll be a mushroom cloud around here if it isn't replaced under warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    That sucks and you may be able to get the dealer to pay for it but if not and you just want to clean up the rust I hear aluminum foil and water does a good job. Ball up the foil and spritz with the water and rub on rust.
    Somebody's been watching Rick Dale's tips, eh? The remaining pits will eat up the seals. One way or another it's going to be a new one.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    There'll be a mushroom cloud around here if it isn't replaced under warranty!

Somebody's been watching Rick Dale's tips, eh? The remaining pits will eat up the seals. One way or another it's going to be a new one.
    I did see it on there a couple of months ago but I think I picked it up from a car repair show years before.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 2,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    Never heard that before, interesting.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Some pix of my stabilizer piston after being tented over with brand new quality tarp this winter. Plenty of ventilation and no direct rain/snow could get on it or the other side. One side rusted, other did not.

I guess that FEL nitride coated piston business is too good to use on BH pistons also? Absolutely should not happen to any hydraulic piston in this price range! Harbor Freight maybe, John Deere never! I think they have some foreign outsourcing quality control problems.
    Fluid Film is your friend.
    dieselshadow, PaDave and RG1 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    That will take a lot of life out of the ram seals even when the rust is removed. Most likely if the rust is cleaned off before retracting the rams the seals will probably still last a good while although with a shortened life span.

You are spot on Gizmo, a dry extended hydraulic ram is always susceptible to rust. Anytime a piece of equipment is stored the best way to avoid rusty rams and torn seals is to retract any rams possible. Rams which must be left extended lout should be lubricated on the exposed ram surface to protect it from the air. Covered or not, the air, humidity and elements love to unleash the rust monster on our equipment.

That being said, I am as bad as the next person on protecting my equipment. I have a steel shop building to house my "toys" as my wife calls them. Even with my "equipment", my preferred word, stored in the shop, the humidity in my area causes all kinds of issues in my shop since it is not climate controlled.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrapile View Post
    That being said, I am as bad as the next person on protecting my equipment. I have a steel shop building to house my "toys" as my wife calls them. Even with my "equipment", my preferred word, stored in the shop, the humidity in my area causes all kinds of issues in my shop since it is not climate controlled.
    Same here. Sometimes I think our equipment would be better off outside.
    Keith

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Fluid Film is your friend.
    Howzat stuff react to the seal material? I read some time ago that Vaseline was the choice stuff for protecting pistons, it's inert with the seals. (I should have remembered that BEFORE winter storage!)

I'm going to leave the stuff as it is and not use it until the driver comes to get the machine. I want some "official" eyes on in addition to the pix for the dealer.

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast