Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Disk Help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

Disk Help

I have my 5200 and it does everything for me around here. Cheapest and most reliable hand money can buy for me. Anyway, after I burned down the sweet corn residue last week from the first couple rounds, I had to work it in. The tiller didn't really care for the amount of residue I put through and I didn't either. So my question is, what type of disk would be suitable to break up the residue and maybe loosen the top bit of soil prior to the tiller? Also would be handy to chop up pumpkin residue and the like to avoid tangling in the tines. Never really cared for three point ones but if that's what I need so be it. I know I don't have enough HP to do much with a disk. Can't get a bigger machine yet, even though the 5200 wouldn't ever leave.
    raco232, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    I have my 5200 and it does everything for me around here. Cheapest and most reliable hand money can buy for me. Anyway, after I burned down the sweet corn residue last week from the first couple rounds, I had to work it in. The tiller didn't really care for the amount of residue I put through and I didn't either. So my question is, what type of disk would be suitable to break up the residue and maybe loosen the top bit of soil prior to the tiller? Also would be handy to chop up pumpkin residue and the like to avoid tangling in the tines. Never really cared for three point ones but if that's what I need so be it. I know I don't have enough HP to do much with a disk. Can't get a bigger machine yet, even though the 5200 wouldn't ever leave.
    A good disk is heavy. This is the weak aspect of a 3-pt disk. Take a look at this pull-type disk: https://www.rhinoag.com/products/lan...-disc-harrows/. They show one of the most valuable specfiications, "weight per blade".
    You'll see that these pull-type disks have at least double (almost triple) the weight per blade of their 3-pt disks.

You would have plenty of horsepower for the 8' version.

Tim
    raco232 and PJR832 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Most of the time, I would brush hog the milo or corn stalks and then run the disc over it. Disk doesn't cut in that great the first time, but wait until it rains on it and then run the disk over it. The disk will cut in much better when there is good amount of moisture. If you need it covered up quickly, a plow will be the way to go. I see the 5200 is about 46hp and you should be able to pull a 8' disk with no problem and the notched blades will give you a better cut than the smooth blades will. I get along better with a pull type disk, rather than a 3pt hitch one. Time and rain are your friend when tilling under crop residue.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Mulch first

Most of the farmers around here use a stalk shredder or bat wing mower on corn fields before planting small grain. They mow as close to the ground as possible without scalping. Then if possible, they will wait for a rain or at least a bit of time to let the residue settle before planting.

I second the idea of weight for using a disk to cut residue. Notched blades on the front will help penetration. Covering residue will depend on whether the disk can get into the ground and how aggressively you set the angle on the gangs.

Treefarmer
    Tractor Tim, em14 and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Good to know. I do brush hog first but we have had a lack of rain lately with not more than 30% chance in the upcoming two weeks. I also dislike three point disks just for that reason.
    Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I know it's an old thread. I have an opportunity at an international disk at auction this week. It's ten feet wide. Everyone I've talked to says I should have enough power to do what I want,which is just one pass on unworked ground. Just curious as to what people on here think.
    Tractor Tim likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    Looking at the specs I think you will pull it especially if yours is a 4x4. Certainly if your not running it deep to cut stalks.

Last year on our field corn which has more residue than sweet we ran the tiller over it at the minimum depth we could set it to, perhaps an 1”. It spun fast enough to work like a stalk chopper before I chisel plowed it.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    Worst case, you pull a disk or two off the ends of the axles. You might also get away with turning your fuel up. ;)
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. Mines only 2 wheel drive. I normally hit my sweet corn residue with a brush hog first. You can turn the fuel pump up on these? I've been wondering. We came to the conclusion that I'd probably have enough power, but I may have to add weight.
    Last edited by TruckFarmer55; 04-13-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    I know it's an old thread. I have an opportunity at an international disk at auction this week. It's ten feet wide. Everyone I've talked to says I should have enough power to do what I want,which is just one pass on unworked ground. Just curious as to what people on here think.
    Is this an old 37 or 370 International Disk? If so, they were good disks.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements