Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Box and Straight Blade

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks

Box and Straight Blade

My plan has been to do my gravel driveway maintainence with a box blade and smooth with a backwards turned rear blade. Then I started thinking about a landscape rake. Money just won't stay in my pocket. Do I need the rake? Will the box and rear do a good job with a clean finish?
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    How long, wide and steep is your driveway?
    pcabe5 and Yank like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Depends on what you want to do and how fine of a finish you really want. If you really feather a box blade you can go from ripping up potholes to putting a nice finish down. If you want something that will make a nice final finish without much effort than a rake is the way to go. It's harder to get a decent finish with a rear blade.
    Yank likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hands down the best implement for gravel driveways is a land lever.

That’s typical results with my 60” frontier land leveler pulled behind my 1025r and zero gravel added to any of those driveways.

I’m not saying a box blade or rake won’t help a driveway, but the best implement for gravel drive maintenance is the land leveler. I own all three implements.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvdirtroads View Post
    Depends on what you want to do and how fine of a finish you really want. If you really feather a box blade you can go from ripping up potholes to putting a nice finish down. If you want something that will make a nice final finish without much effort than a rake is the way to go. It's harder to get a decent finish with a rear blade.
    A rear blade is quite easy to get a GREAT finish with. Just use the back side of the blade.
    Last edited by MtnViewRanch; 09-24-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    pcabe5, 56Nine and Yank like this.
    Brian

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    The driveway is about 7 or 8 foot wide and it is steep. Turning the blade backwards was my plan after using the box blade to the best of my ability. The rake, like everything else, is expensive, especially with the wheels. Just making the sure I have the tools to do the job.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    I have a land scape rake and a land plane. I have also used a box blade and actually own one for use with my Garden Tractor. For my skill level the land plane works the best because you just drop it on the ground and go. No need to feather or think about it, it does all the work for you and makes a novice look like a pro. I have also had good results with a land scape rake (no wheels). You need to pay attention to what brand you get because some are more durable than others. I have a tartar brand one and it has held up to the work I have thrown at it, which is significant.

Any one of them will do the job and if you work it long enough, will do a good job. So it comes down to preference and budget. The cheapest implement (usually) is the back blade, then box blade, land scrape rake and land plane. I will say you get your money's worth with the land plane just be prepared to spend $1k or more on it depending on size. You can use that land plane for more than just driveway maintenance. I used mine yesterday to level out an area I want (well the wife wants...) to build a pergola. Took about 5 minutes mostly because I am teaching my 15 year old how to use my tractor without killing himself.
    pcabe5, Firemoore98 and Yank like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

Put a crown on it

Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    The driveway is about 7 or 8 foot wide and it is steep. Turning the blade backwards was my plan after using the box blade to the best of my ability. The rake, like everything else, is expensive, especially with the wheels. Just making the sure I have the tools to do the job.
    I think you can keep the money in your pocket unless it's burning a hole in your pants. You can certainly get a good job with the box blade and rear blade. Since your drive is steep, be sure and leave a crown on it so that water runs off and not down the drive.

I know that others really like the rakes but I had one for about six months and found that I didn't use it that much. I traded it for a box blade and have been happy with the trade. But usually if I'm working on a road, the rear blade is my choice. I'm not knocking a land leveler, I'd love to try one but haven't been able to justify the cost. If one showed up, I'd certainly use it on the flat roads. For a steep slope, I'd stick with the rear blade to make sure I got the crown right.

Treefarmer
    Yank likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    An inexpensive option for the final grooming is a tine dethatcher. Before I got the Deere, I used that for the driveway behind the Craftsman. Tines forward to bring gravel back to the surface, then I would reverse the drawbar so tines faced backwards for final groom.

Now with the Deere, since I have a sleeve hitch, I have a rear blade for moving the gravel back in place. Then with the blade reversed, I smooth everything out. Final grooming with the dethatcher with tines facing backwards. This is on a moderately sloped driveway, 250 feet long. Drive is 9 years old and still on original gravel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driveway1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	458674
    pcabe5, PJR832 and Yank like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I agree that a land plane grading scraper is the easiest fastest way to "maintain" a natural surfaced drive. I have 4 different implements to work with. Box blade, rear blade, LPGS and a landscape rake.

Landscape rake gets used to dress up the drive, don't use it all that often.

Rear blade is used to build and shape the road how I want-need it.

Box blade gets used if large amounts of earth need to be moved.

LPGS is my go to implement to maintain the over mile long drive.

I can get the same finished "maintained" results with either the BB, RB or LPGS. But those same results are obtained in less than half the time using the LPGS.

So if time is at all important to you, a LPGS is a valuable implement to have.

As with any and all grading implements, weight is your friend, get as heavy as you can afford and that your tractor will handle.
    Brian

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MtnViewRanch For This Useful Post:

pcabe5 (09-25-2017)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast