• 2 Post By 670x
  • 2 Post By mn1025rfilb

Thread: Cyclone rake suction question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks

Cyclone rake suction question

I have searched and read almost all the lawn vac threads.

I have a question though...
    I need to vacuum out a bunch of old loose grain from my barn and a grain vac is not in my budget.
    We are trying to clean the place out and I've scooped what I can with my 1025r but now I'm left with a 50/50 mix of mouse poop, loose wheat and an occasional raccoon turd to clean out of a 3600sq ft barn.

Would a Cyclone rake with the long house be able to vacuum that stuff up? I know a shop vac will but it will take forever.

Just looking for some real world feedback before I spend the money. I'm not sure how much suction one of these has. I've never used one and there are none around to rent.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    I have a cyclone rake with the optional suction hose. Unfortunately I have never used the hose but I can imagine it would have sufficient power to do the job you have. With just the cyclone running, there is a large volume of air moving into the collection bag, and by design, the tub is used for clean up around the yard.

maybe this weekend during my weekly clean up I will try the hose as well.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, it should clean up nicely. WAY more suction than any of my shop-vac's.
    My wife and I decided to clean up a neglected area of brush/weeds/blackberries/debris/leaves/pine-cones/etc.
    She was a little skeptical about the new cyclone rake, but it just sucked up almost everything there, including half-decomposed leaves, loose dirt,
    acorns, the german shepherd's tennis balls, trash, etc. We just had to follow along and pull the weeds/vines/etc out by the roots and toss them in front of the vac. It did well enough that I
    got permission to order the extension hose for the pickup for next year so we don't have to stop and reposition to get the hose within reach of where we were working.
    Just remember that the cyclone doesn't have any provisions to control the dust - it'll just billow out the vent on the top of the collection unit, and grain dust is explosive....
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
    Just remember that the cyclone doesn't have any provisions to control the dust - it'll just billow out the vent on the top of the collection unit, and grain dust is explosive....
    Just goes to show you, you put enough good minds together, someone will come up with the least obvious, yet most important part of a good idea!
    Merrell

- JD 1025R, R4's, H120 FEL w/ Kens Bolt-on Grab Hook/Clevis combo (awesome!), 60" autoconnect MMM, 36" forks

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks

THis may seem like Scaremongering but do be careful....

Quote Originally Posted by mdy1318 View Post

Just goes to show you, you put enough good minds together, someone will come up with the least obvious, yet most important part of a good idea!

And one more thing... Make certain that you use a mask and have the unit OUTSIDE. Hantavirus is becoming more prevalent in that part of the country and you do NOT want to contract that.

Hantavirus

It may seem a bit overkill but this is the main way people contract the virus, cleaning out old buildings or opening cabins for the season, as it clings in the dust and you inhale it.
    Levi and keane like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    And one more thing... Make certain that you use a mask and have the unit OUTSIDE. Hantavirus is becoming more prevalent in that part of the country and you do NOT want to contract that.

Hantavirus

It may seem a bit overkill but this is the main way people contract the virus, cleaning out old buildings or opening cabins for the season, as it clings in the dust and you inhale it.

After reading this it sounds like vacuuming up that crap is the last thing that you want to do.
    Levi likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    Oh yeah I know all about the Hanta virus. I wear a respirator when I work on the place.
    Plus I spray bleech on everything.
    That's why I think I'll buy that with the long hose so it sits outside in the wind. If I don't I essentially have an entire barn I can't use.
    If I get all the old grain out and the floor cleaned up the mice should be reduced considerably. I'm just fighting 100years of buildup .

Here's what I'm dealing with.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	470386

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 670x View Post
    Oh yeah I know all about the Hanta virus. I wear a respirator when I work on the place.
    Plus I spray bleech on everything.
    That's why I think I'll buy that with the long hose so it sits outside in the wind. If I don't I essentially have an entire barn I can't use.
    If I get all the old grain out and the floor cleaned up the mice should be reduced considerably. I'm just fighting 100years of buildup .

Here's what I'm dealing with.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	470386
    Yep Long hose is your friend that unit needs to be outside Of course scoop out as much as possible first.
    You're following the right precautions.
    Mitigating the risk is the right thing to do bleach opening for ventilation and light etc. (Ultra violet kills the virus).

Good to get the barn back in service.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Well if you're following through on the cyclone rake on this, I'll make a couple of suggestions:

1: If you'll use it with your 1025R, don't get their 3 point hitch attachment - it restricts vertical motion of the hitch.
    Get the 2 inch square receiver hitch mount, and get the heavy hitch receiver plate that mounts below the PTO on the frame - both cheaper and works great without restricting the 3-point.!
    2: The 'estate' vac is actually the power vacuum pickup with an extension hose. The extension hose is available as a separate item (you have to ask for it, they
    don't put it on the price list, but it is about $165). I see no reason you can't stack the extensions if you have a sufficiently powerful vac - I got the Z-10, so I'm
    pretty sure I can get away with it if needed. It looks like you would be pushing the length limit of the estate vac by itself.
    3: Don't bother with the power lift unloader - the unit is sufficiently well balanced, and tends to load itself from the back, that it isn't necessary and tends to get in the way,
    particularly if you get the electric start engine. (the key switch is hidden behind the power unloader, so you have to manually lift slightly to get your hand in to start it!)
    4: If you're not going to use it as a lawn vac with your 1025R's mower, consider whether you want to tow with the 1025R or not - I found that when doing jobs like this,
    I prefer to tow with my Gator, so got an additional receiver mount for the smaller receiver in the gator - allows the 1025R to do it's thing (like using the backhoe
    to rip out unruly stumps found in the middle of the mess being cleaned up) while the gator shuttles the vac around.
    5: Get the dual-pro super wheels and the jack stand - you'll regret it if you skip either - very tongue heavy to move/hitch without the jack, and when loaded, particularly with
    wet stuff you'll wonder whether even the dual-pro super wheels are going to be strong enough unless you have perfectly smooth lawn.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements