Frontier PTO spreader making rye seed paste.
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By DeereBoots
  • 2 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 2 Post By Minuteman17
  • 1 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 1 Post By raco232
  • 4 Post By RetiredDoc

Thread: Frontier PTO spreader making rye seed paste.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Frontier PTO spreader making rye seed paste.

I used my Frontier spreader for the first time to spread winter rye seed. I've had it a year or so, and have spread granular fertilizers and lime with no problems.

Spreading rye seed, I noticed that the flow of seed started to slow down as I went. Finally the seed stopped dropping completely, even with the spreader opening set to maximum. When I stuck my arm into the spreader (tractor off, of course) I felt a paste-like plug in the bottom of the spreader. When I dumped the rest of the seed out, the bottom of the spreader was coated with a material that looked like really hard peanut butter, and it had stopped up the openings. Some of it was so hard hat I had to resort to a chisel to flake it off.

I am assuming the agitator wheel was crushing the rye seeds against the metal wall of the spreader, and releasing oils that caused the problem.

Is this something that others have seen, and will removing the agitator wheel next time prevent it?
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Frontier Spreader SS1036B. Were you spreading coated seeds? I seeded approx. 17 acres last year. Some of the bags I bought were coated - when I spread them the coating came off and slowly plugged things up. I will never try that again.

But, when I spread regular non-coated seeds - a homemade blend of fescue, orchard grass, and winter wheat - I slowed the PTO rpms to reduce the potential damage to the seeds. Slowing the PTO didn't have any negative impact on the spreading distance in my opinion. I was very concerned that the seeds would be damaged by the beating they received from the agitator, that is why I slowed the agitator rpms. I didn't notice any great loss in seed germination so I think the seeds weren't damaged. None of the seeds were rye grass though.
    BigJim55, Jim Timber and PJR832 like this.
    4066R open station

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Good question about coating. I saved a half bag of seed, and I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks

Rye grass spreader

I used the same spreader with winter rye seed and had no problem at 3000 rpm over 3 acres. I don't know for sure, but doubt the seed was coated.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I checked the remaining bags of seed today - I mixed Flying A, Winterhawk, and Attain. None of them were coated.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I am assuming that the spreader was clean at the bottom before you added your seed? You mentioned that you have already used the spreader to spread fertilizer and if you still had fertilizer residue in the spreader, it will hold moisture and gum things up. I am wondering if there was still a film of fertilizer in the hopper. You can spray the spreader with water, but that won't get all of the fertilizer residue off. You have to also use a rag or your hand, along with water to get it all off. This might not apply in your case, but it was just an idea I have, as I have experience with cleaning out fertilizer spreaders. With enough residue and the seed, that might be what happened.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thought I'd post a followup.

I had two 50 lb bags of seed left over from my fall seeding run- more than I remembered - I'd saved it to fill in patches I may have missed. I had about an acre where the growth was sparse, so I thought I'd spread the leftover rye seed there.

The spreader was very clean. It had been stored in my garage after its final use in the fall. Before I spread the remaining rye seed I removed the agitator from the spreader. This time, I had no problems, all the seed ran through the spreader cleanly with no clogs or evidence of crushing of the seeds.

Then I replaced the agitator, and spread 1,000 lbs of fertilizer over 5 acres. No problems with spreading the fertilizer, either.

So I'm still thinking that the agitator wheel was crushing the seeds against the wall of the spreader last fall, releasing oil from the seeds.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 03-01-2018 at 09:39 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements