• 4 Post By BigJim55
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Backhoe Log Splitter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Thanks

Backhoe Log Splitter

Interesting idea - could this work on a compact tractor's backhoe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eReHh34APBo
    Tomfive, BigJim55, keane and 6 others like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JW 4x4 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55(10-18-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    That log he was splitting seemed to pop so easily you could have split it with a small hand axe. Many logs I've split are WAY tougher to get through. Given the size of the ram on a MCUT backhoe (compared to a log splitter ram) and the fact that it is putting the force into an angular effort instead of straight on it would seem like the available force would be nothing like a real log splitter. But that's just me guessing. Control of the placement of the wedge would also be challenging as the pieces get smaller.

Rob
    BigJim55, keane and wentonbrown like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    That log he was splitting seemed to pop so easily you could have split it with a small hand axe. Many logs I've split are WAY tougher to get through. Given the size of the ram on a MCUT backhoe (compared to a log splitter ram) and the fact that it is putting the force into an angular effort instead of straight on it would seem like the available force would be nothing like a real log splitter. But that's just me guessing. Control of the placement of the wedge would also be challenging as the pieces get smaller.

Rob
    Like you I think my youngest grandson would have been able to split that log.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Like you I think my youngest grandson would have been able to split that log.
    Yeah, but that would mean someone would have to pick up an ax.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,587 Posts
    I think a stye like this with a traditional ram would be much more useful:

Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I think a stye like this with a traditional ram would be much more useful:

now that is one heck of a way to split ur wood-i've seen them on skid steers-but never on this type of machine.

now since i was buying such luxury item my's well just drop out the splitter-and then hook on the grapple-oh boy-could u believe having a small grapple to just load ur firewood onto ur trailer-haul it to the house-or outdoor furnace--then use ur elevator to run it into the wood shed. oh boy-life could really be good-with all them toys. i mean equipment!
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Both are interesting concepts. I will agree that the first log split like dried poplar. It sure seemed to split awful easy and there was no stringy wood in the center of the log like the pieces split by the Kubota excavator.

I just noticed that "Kubota" isn't in the dictionary on GTT.........What a coincidence....

Another thing which may make a difference with the Kubota demonstration is that the mini excavator has two joints to articulate in the boom arm to make more precise positioning much easier. With just one center pivot in the Deere backhoe unit on the 1 Series, you might be operating the splitting function at a different angle on the log verses how the process appears to work on the Kubota.

It just appears that it might be more difficult to get the splitter "squared" to the log you are working so instead of being able to be directly above the log, you may end up at more like a 20 or 30 degree angle. Also, it might require you to move the tractor unit itself to be able to reach logs and work away from the pile you create when splitting wood. And moving the TLB or TILB is more of a process than moving the Kubota mini excavator......

In general, I think the idea is VERY GOOD.....I just think it needs a bit more consideration to the specific piece of equipment on which it will be utilized......
    Tomfive likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements