Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Rear blade for snow

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:15 PM
    Thanks

Rear blade for snow

i will be using a Frontier 72 inch rear blade to scrape snow on my gravel driveway. This will be my first tractor and first attempt at this feat. I don’t want to tear up my driveway every time it snows. I wanting to know what you guys recommend to help with this. Wheels? Feet? Skids? Do they make a special bolt on edge for this?
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 Times in 1,642 Posts
    For me either using the front or rear blade on the neighbors driveways , I drive over the driveway for the first 3 or 4 times till I get a base or packed down coating of snow on top of the gravel. Maybe after 3 or 4 snows ,plus colder temps then just try to barely take the new snow off the old packed snow. This past winter , using the front blade I would back blade the drive because I would remove more gravel than snow.
    AKfish, BigJim55, ilmo and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Over the many years I have found a rear blade is hard to control with a gravel driveway -at least until it is frozen. In the fall and spring it makes a mess. Not only having to be turned around backwards all the time trying to control it so it won’t dig in.

I have found it much easier and much less damage to use my front bucket (now with edge tamers). I have 850’ of fravel driveway with a steep hill and it works just fine. I could never stand to do all that backwards with a rear blade.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I did a few miles of road with a rear blade for a while, it’s not ideal but it can work well. I would add skid shoes to the rear of the blade and adjust them so the cutting edge is about 1” off the surface of the road. Angle your blade to one side, drive through the snow and let the blade roll it off sideways. A little practice and you’ll have it down no problem.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    i will be using a Frontier 72 inch rear blade to scrape snow on my gravel driveway. This will be my first tractor and first attempt at this feat. I don’t want to tear up my driveway every time it snows. I wanting to know what you guys recommend to help with this. Wheels? Feet? Skids? Do they make a special bolt on edge for this?
    First off, pitch the blade forward using the top link on the tractors 3pt. Shorten it, not all the way but enough you can see the blade pitched forward. This makes the blade less aggressive.

Second, remove the tilt pin on the rear of the blade. Now the blade will "float" from side to side when using. It will not gouge near as much and make it easier to use. Just make sure when you raise the blade up it raises level, sometimes in wet snow one side will be heavier due to snow sticking and not raise fully.

I have been using this technique for several years and works great for me. Also in the spring use the blade to drag back the gravel outta the yard and back on driveway..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NEWT For This Useful Post:

DanW (07-09-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Personally I wouldn't use any kind of a plow on a gravel driveway without shoes, you'll end up with half of driveway in areas other than the driveway until it freezes.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    I've been plowing my long gravel driveway and parking area with a rear blade for about 25 years. My crushed stones are a bit deep and loose so they can get moved out of position easily. I push backwards keeping the curve of the blade facing the direction I am travelling. This results in very little gravel disturbance.

I also ALWAYS scrape my driveway down to bare stones. The few times I tried leaving a "base" of snow it ended up melting down and forming 1-2 inch thick ice that was impossible to deal with. Even walking to the car became a hazardous adventure. The ice just laughed at rock salt. I ended up buying several hundred pounds of sand and spreading it around. I ain't gonna do that again. :-)

On those occasions when we get a freeze resulting in ice or crusty snow I scrape going forward to dig up the ice and then proceed to push it away going backwards.
    Last edited by jgayman; 10-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:15 PM
    Thanks
    Frontier makes round skids for the blade, but it looks like that would leave two deep lines dug into the driveway.
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    Frontier makes round skids for the blade, but it looks like that would leave two deep lines dug into the driveway.
    That is exactly what happened to me the one time I tried using a blade with skid shoes. The shoes just sank into the stones and made two trenches. The snow blower shoes will do the same thing if the ground isn't frozen.

The absolute worst conditions with a gravel driveway is when you get snow before the ground is completely frozen. No matter what method you use it takes a bit of finesse to remove the snow without gouging the ground too much. Once the ground gets a good freeze the dirt is hard and the gravel stays more in place. You can still wreck the heck out of things if you keep going over the same spot once bare but with experience you will learn how to control the blade.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks

A little touch is needed

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That is exactly what happened to me the one time I tried using a blade with skid shoes. The shoes just sank into the stones and made two trenches. The snow blower shoes will do the same thing if the ground isn't frozen.

The absolute worst conditions with a gravel driveway is when you get snow before the ground is completely frozen. No matter what method you use it takes a bit of finesse to remove the snow without gouging the ground too much. Once the ground gets a good freeze the dirt is hard and the gravel stays more in place. You can still wreck the heck out of things if you keep going over the same spot once bare but with experience you will learn how to control the blade.
    It looks like there are two camps-

One camp says you will mess up and not get a good job.

The other camp says it can be done with a bit of effort.
    Put me in the second camp.

It's much easier to use a blade if the ground is frozen, no question. Get it set right with the blade angled vertical or even a bit forward, let it float side to side and move on. If the driveway is pretty level without too many humps it's easy to get it done without damage.

Wet, heavy snow or worse, ice on unfrozen ground requires operator attention. You will have to be looking at the blade pretty constantly and adjusting the 3ph as necessary to keep from digging in or lifting the blade too high. Even a good operator will have to run at a much slower speed because you have to feel the ground by what the front wheels run over, adjust the 3ph before the back wheels get to the dip or hump and then adjust again when the plow gets to the same spot. With operator and hydraulic lag, that means you just can't run but so fast.

A blade with rear wheel(s) which floats makes life simpler. Skids or pads on soft ground don't work so well but work great if the ground is frozen. However, if the ground is frozen, it's pretty easy anyway. It's tough when the ground is saturated but not frozen and the snow is wet and heavy because there's little difference between the consistency of ground and snow. That's when you wish for spring. . .

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast