Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Had to uninstall the quick hitch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks

Had to uninstall the quick hitch

Trying to use my box blade this evening, itís the maiden voyage for it and me also. Never could get the angle right for the box with the quick hitch on. Finally said the heck with it and took it off. Things when much better with the 3ph alone. For you guys that run a quick hitch with your box blade, how do you get enough forward lean? Iím using the to link that came with the tractor but I couldnít bring it in enough to get the box to lean forward enough for the tines to dig.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    '16 Cub Cadet Tank SZ 54" cut
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    Levi, Marlin and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MowJoe View Post
    Trying to use my box blade this evening, itís the maiden voyage for it and me also. Never could get the angle right for the box with the quick hitch on. Finally said the heck with it and took it off. Things when much better with the 3ph alone. For you guys that run a quick hitch with your box blade, how do you get enough forward lean?
    First, be sure that the hitch arms are installed the correct way around. It is fairly common for people to put them on backwards.

I spent about $24 and bought a new top link. I had tweaked the original one, but I don't recall not having enough adjustment fro my BB.
    Levi, BigJim55, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-05-2018 @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks
    Trying to use my box blade this evening, it’s the maiden voyage for it and me also. Never could get the angle right for the box with the quick hitch on. Finally said the heck with it and took it off. Things when much better with the 3ph alone. For you guys that run a quick hitch with your box blade, how do you get enough forward lean? I’m using the to link that came with the tractor but I couldn’t bring it in enough to get the box to lean forward enough for the tines to dig.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    Never had that issue, plenty of adjustment forward and backward. While the lean does impact the tines somewhat, what the lean primarily adjusts is whether the front blade is cutting or if leaned back, the rear blade is smoothing. The amount of rip is controlled by how deep the tines are set. I always drop mine at least one sometimes more depending on how compacted the surface is, the raise them back up when i want the blades on the box to be working at cutting/smoothing. I run the Frontier BB2048 w/iMatch QH.

YMMV
    Last edited by Cyendrey; 11-03-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Clayton Yendrey
    2005 X300 (donated to SIL)
    2015 X500 w/54" deck
    2017 1025R, 120R FEL, BB2048, RT1149, iMatch QH
    Stihl: Chain saw, edger, FS46 trimmer, leaf blower
    Honda HRC walk behind mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    First, be sure that the hitch arms are installed the correct way around. It is fairly common for people to put them on backwards.

I spent about $24 and bought a new top link. I had tweaked the original one, but I don't recall not having enough adjustment fro my BB.
    Did you buy a shorter one? I have a shorter one but it was for an old cat 0 setup.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    Robnik likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Thanks
    I use mine with the quick hitch and don't have a problem with it. adjusting it did take me awhile to figure out I just kept playing with it and reading posts on this forum until I got it right. I have a 2032r don't know if the top link is different then yours but I get plenty of tilt on it
    BigJim55, Marlin and Robnik like this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    If you don't mind a slight derailment, why do you need a lot of forward lean? I'm new to box blades and have only figured out the basics so far.
    BigJim55, Ray_PA, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    If you don't mind a slight derailment, why do you need a lot of forward lean? I'm new to box blades and have only figured out the basics so far.
    With the top link all the way closed I would set the box blade on the ground and the box was almost flat but leaned a little back on the rear cutting edge. I lowered the tines more but with how it was setting and because the driveway was pretty compact the tines just would not cut into. After I took the quick hitch off I adjusted the box to lean forward just a bit so that the tip of the tines would dig in. I also noticed that the way my box is built it looks like itís designed to lean forward a small amount. It worked great after the quick hitch was removed. I wish I had taken pics but darkness was becoming a factor so we were in a hurry.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    Marlin and Robnik like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Had to uninstall the quick hitch

Guys I also should have mentioned in my first post that Iím having to use a quick hitch adapter on the box blade for the top hook. So that leans it backwards a little more right there. If I get a shorter top link on the tractor Iím thinking I will be able to adjust for that, right?

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    Last edited by MowJoe; 11-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Marlin and Robnik like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks
    What make a model box blade do you have??

There should be no difference between attaching an attachment directly to the 3 point arms or on a quick hitch except the attachment will be further away from the tractor by a few inches.

Do you have quick hitch bushings on the lower pins on the box blade and category 3 top link bushings at the box blade end? The quick hitch lower and top hooks are actually category 3 size so you need to use bushings on all the pins when using category 1 attachments.

I agree with some others, lowering the tines is how you get them to engage the ground. Tilting the blade has more to do with the adjustment of the rear cutting edge.

I think pictures are needed!!
    BigJim55, Marlin and Robnik like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Guys I also would have mentioned in my first post that Iím having to use a quick hitch adapter on the box blade for the top hook. So that leans it backwards a little more right there. If I get a shorter top link on the tractor Iím thinking I will be able to adjust for that, right?

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    What Imatch are you using ,,adjust or none adjustable. Guessing none adjustable

Mine is adjustable, thinking when I used either rear blade or box blade I had to remove top hook from hitch put the Top Pin in the attachment and then lengthen the top link so I could get the top hook attached to the I match. Worked fine wasn't what I was expecting but it worked and only took maybe 5 mins. and then I could adjust top link to location needed.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast