Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: JD Front Quick Hitch Bolts Breaking

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks

JD Front Quick Hitch Bolts Breaking

So, I finally broke down and bought a 54" Snow blower for my 1026R. Got it all home and started to assemble it and found they forgot to include the mounting bracket that goes on the frame to attach the quick hitch to the tractor (apparently this is included with newer models).

After a lot of back-and-forth with the dealer, trying to get the missing part, I finally got it almost 2 weeks after getting the blower itself. Due to work, I couldn't install the brackets immediately, so I started doing it today. Due to the brush-guard I have, I couldn't use the provided bolts for the front 4 (2 on each side) bolts on the side brackets as they weren't long enough to go through the brush-guard AND bracket, so I used the ones that were already being used to keep the brush-guard on. These bolted on just fine... 140 NM like the bracket install guide said (I'm just a little concerned as they're slightly smaller in diameter). I also put the front bracket on and tightened the bolts to 140 without issue. The other 4 on the 2 side brackets, however, did not go so well.

I set my wrench back to 140 NM (took a short break before tackling the harder to reach bolts) and started to tighten. Right about where I expected the torque wrench to do its signature "Click" to tell me it was tight, I was surprised to find the bolt just kept turning with the same, and then decreasing, difficulty until the bolt broke. So I think to myself "Ok, one bad bolt... let's just try another". That bolt went in and tightened down fine. Next bolt: tightening... tightening... tightening........ Yep, broke again! Replaced the bolt with another (thank god I had spares due to using the brush-guard bolts), start tightening and I can tell this one is going to do the same, so I take it out before it breaks. NEXT bolt! I reduced the torque value to 120 and tighten it to that value, no problem! Adjust the wrench to 130 and no problem again. Up to 140 and we're right back to breaking bolts again. Somehow the bolts can't take the extra 10 NM needed to reach to suggested torque value. It's as if the bolts are made of aluminum rather than steel! Even holding the bolts in my hand, they feel "soft" and are clearly not hardened steel if they even are steel.

Out of curiosity, I decide to check the torque on my loader mount, which is 150 and 310 NM (depending on which one you're tightening), and no problems there, everything's tight; even loosened and retightened a couple, so I know it's not the wrench.

The dealer's response when I mentioned it was "What do you want me to do about it?"; though it sounded like the rep was honestly confused as to what to do about the issue as they just replace any broken bolts when installing the parts themselves, and apparently don't even use a torque wrench, just an air ratchet until "sufficiently tight". The reason I decided to install the blower myself was not only to save some money, but more due to issues with the previous dealer (whom I got the TLB from) not tightening (barely snug, even) the bolts on one side of the loader frame. Sadly, the old saying of "If you want something done right, do it yourself" is becoming more and more true, every passing day...

Anyway, looking at the broken bolts, they appear to keep turning in the nut (and I can easily remove the nut by hand after they break), but are simply stretching until they finally break. My question is: Has anyone else run into this issue while installing the mounting brackets for a front quick-hitch? Is it going to be safe for me to use the blower and hitch with 3 of these 4 bolts torqued to 130 NM, or should I be looking to find some replacements? When I put the 2 pieces of the broken bolts back together, there is a clear "hourglass figure" shape to them where the break happens.

I've lucked out on snow so far, but that can change at any time, of course. Any advice anyone can give me? I'm pretty much just right now when I should be
    Last edited by dgolberg; 11-07-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    rtgt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgolberg View Post
    The dealer's response when I mentioned it was "What do you want me to do about it?"; though it sounded like the rep was honestly confused as to what to do about the issue as they just replace any broken bolts when installing the parts themselves, and apparently don't even use a torque wrench, just an air ratchet until "sufficiently tight". The reason I decided to install the blower myself was not only to save some money, but more due to issues with the previous dealer (whom I got the TLB from) not tightening (barely snug, even) the bolts on one side of the loader frame. Sadly, the old saying of "If you want something done right, do it yourself" is becoming more and more true, every passing day...
    It is amazing how many "professional" installers don't torque the bolts to the recommended tightness.

Anyway, looking at the broken bolts, they appear to keep turning in the nut (and I can easily remove the nut by hand after they break), but are simply stretching until they finally break. My question is: Has anyone else run into this issue while installing the mounting brackets for a front quick-hitch? Is it going to be safe for me to use the blower and hitch with 3 of these 4 bolts torqued to 130 NM, or should I be looking to find some replacements? When I put the 2 pieces of the broken bolts back together, there is a clear "hourglass figure" shape to them where the break happens. I've lucked out on snow so far, but that can change at any time, of course. Any advice anyone can give me? I'm pretty much just right now when I should be
    What is the size (shaft) and grade of the bolts that you are using?
    etcallhome, rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The bolts are M12 x 45 bolts (the M12x30s for the front bracket torqued fine).

I'm heading to work in a few minutes and will take them with me to check with a caliper, since I don't have my own (to verify their sizes), and see if my supervisor knows any more (he's worked with a lot more steel). The bolts look like quality bolts, but they seem "soft" compared to the brassy looking ones from the brush-guard, which I'm not sure what those are... guessing M10 x 60. I'm really no expert on bolts, I just know the sizes due to working in a machine shop (though we deal with mostly aluminum there so torque values aren't even half as much).
    etcallhome, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

I'm heading to work in a few minutes and will take them with me to check with a caliper, since I don't have my own (to verify their sizes), and see if my supervisor knows any more (he's worked with a lot more steel). The bolts look like quality bolts, but they seem "soft" compared to the brassy looking ones from the brush-guard, which I'm not sure what those are... guessing M10 x 60. I'm really no expert on bolts, I just know the sizes due to working in a machine shop (though we deal with mostly aluminum there so torque values aren't even half as much).
    What is the hardness markings on the head? According to the chart below from the owner's manual 132Nm is the max for a M12 Class 10.9 bolt.

Torque Values - Metric Hardware

Torque Values (Dry)
    Torque Values (Lubricated)
    Size
    Class 7
    Class 8.8
    Class 10.9
    Size
    Class 7
    Class 8.8
    Class 10.9
    N•m lb-ft N•m lb-ft N•m lb-ft N•m lb-ft N•m lb-ft N•m lb-ft
    M6 11 8.1 17 12.5 M6 9 6.6 13 9.6
    M8 29 21 35 26 41 30 M8 23 17 25 18.5 29 21.4
    M10 59 44 67 49 80 59 M10 44 33 51 38 61 45
    M12 98 72 113 83 132 97 M12 78 58 83 61 103 76
    M14 147 108 167 123 201 148 M14 118 87 127 94 152 112
    Last edited by jgayman; 11-07-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    etcallhome, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks

That would explain it, then. That said, why do I have 132NM bolts for a part that asks for 140NM torquing? Even the directions from JD say to "torque the M12x45 to 140 NM (105 ft lb)". Obviously someone messed up.

Anyway, got some bolts from one of the guys at work, to try. Should be a higher torque value, I'd assume, since they're 12.9s. I'm not sure about the head of them, though. They're a smaller hex-head, with not even half the area to disperse the torque across... Might just skip it and run with the few bolts I have left torqued to 130NM. All I plan to run on the hitch is a snowblower and maybe a broom, anyway.

Below are the directions with a provided bolt (silver) and the one from work (black).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171108_035231.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	355.3 KB 
ID:	486474

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    02-06-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks

That would explain it, then. That said, why do I have 132NM bolts for a part that asks for 140NM torquing? Even the directions from JD say to "torque the M12x45 to 140 NM (105 ft lb)". Obviously someone messed up.

Anyway, got some bolts from one of the guys at work, to try. Should be a higher torque value, I'd assume, since they're 12.9s. I'm not sure about the head of them, though. They're a smaller hex-head, with not even half the area to disperse the torque across... Might just skip it and run with the few bolts I have left torqued to 130NM. All I plan to run on the hitch is a snowblower and maybe a broom, anyway.

Below are the directions with a provided bolt (silver) and the one from work (black).

[iurl="http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=486474&stc=1&d=1510135 055"][/iurl]
    is that a socket head bolt?
    etcallhome likes this.
    ,Sleepy- "Living the dream!" -- 2017 2032R w/ loader and backhoe; JD Z930M 60"

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    is that a socket head bolt?
    The black bolt is an extra large hex-driver (allen-wrench... not sure what those bolt styles are actually called) bolt. I don't much like the smaller head, though, so I think I'll just go with the 130Nm torque on what I have left; until I can find some higher grade ones.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The black bolt is an extra large hex-driver (allen-wrench... not sure what those bolt styles are actually called) bolt. I don't much like the smaller head, though, so I think I'll just go with the 130Nm torque on what I have left; until I can find some higher grade ones.
    What is the markings on the head of the silver bolt (hex head)?
    etcallhome likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    I have the mower, front quick hitch, and brush guard. I installed all my own equipment and the bolts that were all too short for this combination. I tired years ago of chasing for fasteners and invested in bins and a fastener assortment, so I had the longer bolts on hand (8.8). I've been turning wrenches since I was old enough to reach my father's tool box. So I have developed a pretty good "feel" for how tight things should be, so I didn't get the torque wrench out for these.

Sometimes you just get bolts that were not the correct alloy mix. I recall a number of years ago when I was doing the routine maintenance on a Chrysler mini-van. I had rotated the tires and I always utilize the torque wrench for the wheel studs. I had several that just "felt" soft, as if they were going to twist off. I stopped when I felt that on all but one. I kept going on the one and sure enough, it twisted off before the torque wrench clicked.

As it was still in warranty, I went to the dealer and demanded all the wheel studs and lug nuts be replaced, as this was the vehicle the wife drove and transported the children within. Of course, I received push-back from the service manager, claiming my torque wrench was off. I brought my torque wrench (a New Britain, 1/2' dial/clicker type, acquired by KD Tools later) to the dealer and we coupled my torque wrench with their lead mechanic's, a Snap-On. We set both to the specified wheel lug nut torque and then applied one against the other. They both clicked at virtually the same interval. Next, they torqued the same wheels studs that I felt were soft with the lead mechanic's torque wrench and two twisted off. They replaced all the studs and lug nuts.
    etcallhome, rtgt and keane like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What is the markings on the head of the silver bolt (hex head)?
    BM

Is what the bolt head shows.
    rtgt likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast