Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By firemachine69

Thread: Quick question about the quick coupler on a 46 backhoe

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks

Quick question about the quick coupler on a 46 backhoe

Can someone clarify which brand-name is on the quick-coupler for the pressure and return hoses of a John Deere 46 backhoe? I've got a slow leak, like a few drops overnight... I was reading up the Pioneer brochure (which is what I believed JD's came with) and they sell a retrofit coupler because JD makes the male end slightly undersized(?)

But after physically checking the coupler again, I noted it was the Faster-branded female coupler that seems to have a very slow leak. This backhoe was purchased used already attached to the tractor, so it is possible a new coupler was attached (because JD in all it's wisdom will not let you buy just the O-ring for the QC - and a new QC from Deere is $58...)
    Last edited by firemachine69; 11-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Firemark likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    JD used various suppliers over the years to include Faster and Pioneer. I've never heard of any "retrofit" kit as you described but the coupler size is 3/8" ISO 7241 "B" with -08 ORB threads I think.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    I may be way off base but we used to swap hydraulic ends around often on equipment because JD used different connections than IH. I'm wondering if what you was reading about regarding the retrofit had something to do with the different hydraulic sizes that manufacturers used back in the day.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Okay, so I went out today and got standard Pioneer connectors. I have the rear output connectors at the base of the ROPS, so I can't swap back and forth between the three point and the backhoe without changing fittings (for now), it's a peculiar female design fixed to the bracket. Also odd, the QC is 1/2" at the hose end (?) But the actual connection end is size-wise closer to a 3/8"(???) Anyways, I'll hunt down the o-ring kit from our local hydraulic shop. It has an atypical thin o-ring backed by a plastic ring. First time I've ever seen that (we use hydraulic tools at work).

<EDIT>

It might actually also be leaking at the hose crimp fitting. Well, this is annoying...
    Last edited by firemachine69; 11-12-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements