Is there an attachment that could be used to "trench" ground for metal edging?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Is there an attachment that could be used to "trench" ground for metal edging?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-22-2019 @ 10:37 AM
    Thanks

Is there an attachment that could be used to "trench" ground for metal edging?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a solution that I could use with my 1025r to help with making it easier to install metal landscape edging?

We have very hard clay soil and it's quite cumbersome using a pick ax to create the small trench by hand.

Maybe something like a sub-soiler attachment?
    mjncad and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks

That will do it

Quote Originally Posted by Axoman View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of a solution that I could use with my 1025r to help with making it easier to install metal landscape edging?

We have very hard clay soil and it's quite cumbersome using a pick ax to create the small trench by hand.

Maybe something like a sub-soiler attachment?
    A sub-soiler would do it. With hard clay the issue might be getting it in the ground. A one shank chisel plow would also work but I've never seen one of those. One ripper tooth on a box blade would work as well. Anything not too wide that would penetrate to the right depth is better than using the pick.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, Levi, Neb and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,583 Posts
    This might be a better job for a "bed edger" that you can probably rent cheaply:

Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

69project (11-22-2017), mjncad (11-23-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    This might be a better job for a "bed edger" that you can probably rent cheaply:

So this looks like the best solution but I would also consider the artillian hoe bucket. I have used it for planting and while it is somewhat crude for an edger, I am quite sure it will work but you might have to go behind it and do some clean up work. I have also used the cutting edge of my regular bucket too but there isn't a lot of fine touch when you use something that big, but I am of the crowd that uses a bigger hammer if the first one doesn't get it!

Tomfive, Levi, Oscar Leroy and 1 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    I needed to run some wire for an underground dog fence. I took one of the rippers off my box blade and drilled and bolted it to the side of the box. I was able to run up right along the edge of my planting beds, which I couldn't do if I had just lowered one of the rippers down all the way
    Last edited by Ropie; 11-22-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    mjncad, Levi, FredHickory and 6 others like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 11:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    I needed to run some wire for an underground dog fence. I took one of the rippers off my box blade and drilled and bolted it to the side of the box. I was able to run up right along the edge of my planting beds, which I couldn't do if I gphad just lowered one of the rippers down all the way

That's what I love abbout this site - so many creative problem-solving people all in one spot!

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a backhoe, Bxpanded's ripper claw would work well for creating a narrow opening for edging. It's nice to not have the "trench" any wider than necessary. If you don't have a backhoe, now you have a reason to get one.

Link here.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    I'm lazy, I just install the edging without trenching. The raised height gives me something to use as a guide while mowing.
    Levi, mark02tj, Neb and 1 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Depending on how deep you have to make the trench, and edger may work well:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ed...sional-edgers/

I believe you can change the head if you have a compatible trimmer, which would make it an affordable solution.

I have one dedicated to just edging. It works well, though the frequency at which I use it is every other or every two years. So I do have to remember to start it and run it once a year to keep the carb from gumming up. The pre-mix gas does help immensely, however.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Depending on how deep you have to make the trench, and edger may work well:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ed...sional-edgers/

I believe you can change the head if you have a compatible trimmer, which would make it an affordable solution.

I have one dedicated to just edging. It works well, though the frequency at which I use it is every other or every two years. So I do have to remember to start it and run it once a year to keep the carb from gumming up. The pre-mix gas does help immensely, however.
    I also use one of these for all my beds. This does a great job and you can easily dress the edges up routinely without much work.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/mu...chments/fbdkm/
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast